Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Am I misunderstanding what this feature is supposed to do? I thought it would stop calls and SMS/MMS that aren't iMessage. But I received a call and placed a call while it was off. Anyone else notice this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 286

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Am I misunderstanding what this feature is supposed to do? I thought it would stop calls and SMS/MMS that aren't iMessage. But I received a call and placed a call while it was off. Anyone else notice this?

Cellular data is different from what is used for phone calls and SMS. Cellular data refers to your data connection, being able to connect to the internet. Turning Cellular Data off means you can no longer connect to cellular data networks (aka the internet when not on wifi).

It does nothing with regards to phone calls and SMS.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012

Cellular data means internet data over cellular networks. It doesn't include non-internet cellular network stuff like calls and SMS/MMS.

The practical application of turning this off is to prevent you using up your data allowance, or to save battery.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Cellular data means internet data over cellular networks. It doesn't include non-internet cellular network stuff like calls and SMS/MMS.

The practical application of turning this off is to prevent you using up your data allowance, or to save battery.
MMS does use data.

Voice Calls/SMS = non-data cellular.

----------

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4146

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
In layman's terms, "Cellular data" is the internet, accessed through your network provider.

If you turn that off, you won't be able to access features or services that rely on the internet such as email, web browsing, push notifications or anything that connects to the internet. However, if you have wifi on then of course you'll be connected to the internet. Turning off "Cellular Data" just prevents your phone using data(internet) over your network provider - ideal if you have a capped data allowance or fear being charged for use beyond your allowance by your network provider.

As phone calls and SMS do not rely on the internet, they'll work fine. If you want to block calls and SMS, turn on "Airplane mode" as this will disconnect your phone to your network provider (including the internet). If you wish to access the internet, turn on wifi. Alternatively, use the "Do Not Disturb" feature in iOS.

Hope that simplified it ;)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Yep you are.

Cell data is about data, ie getting on the internet. Not calls and SMS. To turn off those you need to put it in airplane mode.

Or if you just want to turn off the ringing etc you can turn on 'do not disturb'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.