Still going to AT&T on the 24th, no preorder

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UnknownMacNoob, Jun 22, 2010.

1. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

Alright so by now eveyone knows that the date to walk-in and get an iPhone from AT&T has been pushed from the 24th to the 29th. And the only ones to get their phones are those who preordered.

I still plan on going because I have a hard time believing they only have enough iPhones in the first shipment to handle just the preorders. I could be wrong but I figure it wouldn't hurt to try. Any AT&T reps out there seen their inventory yet?

2. macatak911 macrumors regular

Instead of wasting your time....just go to apple

3. UnknownMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

I wish I could but I have to return my 3GS. Bought it on the 6th to get unlimited data. And I know someones gonna say "well that's what you get for trying to beat the system" or whatever.

4. SpankWare macrumors regular

This doesn't make much sense. I read the press release and it sounds like the 29th isn't a suggestion, it's policy. You may get lucky and find a store manager willing to break the rules, but I highly doubt it.

5. kits macrumors member

I am in very similar situation. My last day to exchange is July 3rd but the store manager I talked to thinks AT&T will extend my exchange time since they are not able to stock the phone. I am not sure how that can be possible. I hope they will at least have Samsung Captivate by 3rd.

6. UnknownMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

I'm not a fan of speculation/conspiracy theories but I believe their "tiered release" was done purposely by Apple because their preorder went so horribly that they want to regain some credibility( lack of a better word) by making the activation process go well. I mean think about it. More than a handful "accidentally" got it today and they moved up the preorder deliveries to the 23rd. Essentially they have a 3 day spread in their launch. So I think this "policy" from AT&T is just another piece of that puzzle. Somewhat farfetched but it makes sense. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check. I was just seeing if any reps saw their inventory yet and had more phones than preordrs

7. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I did the same thing, why didn't you guys just return the 3gs on the 14th and pre-order on the 15th like me?

Unless that was your only phone i could understand that, luckily i had a cheap phone to tide me over the few weeks.

8. UnknownMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

Yea it is my only phone but ur idea is looking a whole lot better than mine right about now lol.

9. Fenir macrumors regular

Ultimately it's all up to the managers.

When the 3GS was released, my brother and I were #1 and 2 in line without reserving the phone. If you remember last year, preorder people were supposed to go in at 7am, non-preorders at 8am. Well, the manager let us in around 7:15 since it was pointless for us to be waiting.

To OP: Consider getting to a walmart at least 12 hours early, thats what im gonna do. I'll stop by AT&T to talk to the manager, but I'm thinking my best bet is wal-mart

10. levpa05 macrumors member

I have a good friend working at our local AT&T store. He messaged me as soon as they were told they are not getting any extras till the 29th. Now if the store is getting more than reordered, it would seem at least my local store employees were not told. They were told they wouldn't even get them till the 29 th