Still having problems AFTER logic board replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac-key, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I've got an early 2011 15' MBP (2GHz i7) running snow leopard.

I was getting kernal panics and other scrambled looking screens. I take it in to Apple only to find out that this is a known problem. So they replaced my logic board for free.

However, I got my computer back yesterday and it's still got some artifacting, or scrammbled screen going on. ANYTHING else this could possibly be?

I've tried a new HD and swapped out the RAM

Thoughts?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Take it back to Apple and tell them that a logicboard replacement didn't fix your problem?

3. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, just trying to avoid that hassle. Thought I'd ask here and see what people thought. But yes, if no other solution... it's going back

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Additionally, I would show them what's happening. Open it up and let them see.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I went through three replacement logic boards in a couple of months on my late-2011. All with the same GPU issues. Make of that what you will.

6. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did it ever get fully resolved?

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yeah, they swapped it for a brand new rMBP!

8. Rockadile macrumors regular

I've been on my 2nd logic board change.
    If this sh*t fails again, I'll be demanding a new laptop. Was your replacement by them or by your hassle?

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I had UK consumer law on my side which helps. Apple initially took the machine in for a no-cost repair after I asked them nicely. despite it being nearly 2.5 years old and out of AppleCare. This was before the repair extension program. Those repairs had a 90 day warranty.

After failure number three, the Apple store offered the possibility of a replacement due to "not meeting their standards for customer satisfaction", then ran it up the chain of command to get it authorised. While at the same time denying the GPU failure was a common problem. I'll give them points for sticking to the company line, even though they knew that I knew that they knew it was. Or something.

From someone that worked the staff side of a customer service desk in a computer retailer (not for Apple) the best piece of advice I'll give you is not to go in demanding things and being badly behaved. Be calm and polite - it'll get you further.

10. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Usually AppleCare will replace the computer after a third logic board is replaced and the problem still occurs. The times that AapleCare has replaced a computer with a new one for me, was a pretty smooth experience, except for the problems leading up to the replacement which was frustrating.

MagicBoy is correct, be respectful and calm when you speak with AppleCare about a replacement. That is the best part about AppleCare they are very often accommodating to the user even out of warranty.

11. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments! Looks like I'm heading back to the Apple Store.