Still Having Trouble with Email via Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Megalobyte, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I did search, and tried a few of the suggestions, still can't get things to work properly.

I have a Yahoo business email account (myname@mydomainname.com) tied to my business domain name, and I need to be able to use this email address on my Iphone. But, I discovered as did many others apparently, that you can only read email on your Iphone from your Yahoo business email, but, you can't send email, and yet, you can, and I have been able to receive and send from any of my free Yahoo email accounts, the problem is, I need to be sending and receiving from my Yahoo business email account.

So, I tried everything i could think of to get the Yahoo business email to work, it just won't, if there's a way, I haven't found it after seraching the net for answers and talking with a Yahoo tech spport guy as well.

So, I created a Gmail account, and discovered I was able to set it up so that all emails sent from it are sent as if from my yahoo business email, and then I just set my Yahoo biz email to fwd everything received to the Gmail acct, so, that sort of worked, except for a few issues...

First, as many have had a problem with, every time I send an email from Gmail, it shows up as a received email in my inbox, I searched and read about a couple of fixes, creating a filter to archive, and skip my inbox, emails sent from my own address, didn't work, I also tried simply turning off the recent switch on the Iphone, then I didn't receive any mail at all.

Also, in addition to the annoyance of all of my sent emails arriving in my inbox as if they're received mail, I also noticed that when I check my gmail on my laptop, and read messages there, they dont show as read on my iphone, and vice versa. I thought I had it set for Imap, not that im all that clear on what that is, but I thought it was supposed to get the gmail on my laptop and that on my phone in sync.

So, ideally, Id like to just use my yahoo biz email on my Iphone, but unless someone can tell me exactly how to set it up so I can receive and send from yahoo biz email accounts, that doesn't seem likely, but, short of that, what do I need to do so that my Gmail doesn't send a copy of sent emails into my inbox, and how do I get it so that if open an email on my laptop, or my Iphone, it stays marked as read when I check it later on the other device.

Im not a computer expert my an means, so any instructions should be given with that in mind, but, all suggestions are most appreciated, this is a little aggravating. :mad: :eek::confused:

Thanks,

Ari

2. maise macrumors member

I just got the 3GS and spent the entire day yesterday trying to fix this same problem. I found a response on an old macrumors post from last year that did the trick. This was the only things I could find that works. The one caveat is that the iphone will not receive new messages if you using a Wi-Fi network (but will still send them), but as soon as it switches over to 3G it will sync up. Here is where I found the original solution: http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-323113.html

Hopefully this can help someone else out.

"1. Settings Icon on the Phone

2. Mail

3. Add Account

4. Don't choose Yahoo, choose 'Other'. Interestingly if you setup your email with the Yahoo account it works. I did this and setup my address as emailaddy (at) email (dot) net (replace the 'at' with @ and 'dot' with . and use your own email user name address) with my passowrd and I was able to get mail and it synched with yahoo's IMAP servers. BUT I soon realized I had a problem SENDING mail. This is because you need to use SMTP for outbound mail and you can't configure that properly on the phone with Yahoo.

5. So use this configuration

Name: You name you want people to see

Address: Your email address

Description: What you want the phone to display in your email account lists

Incoming Host: imap.mail.yahoo.com

Username: your email address hosted by yahoo

Password: Your password

Outgoing Host: smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com:25

username: your email address

Password: your password

Save it. It will try to save for a while and it may (did for me) ask you to try to attempt to Save it without SSL? Click 'Yes'! Then it will be "thinking" for a while. Don't worry, this may take a LONG while but eventually it should save off successfully.

That's it! You should now have IMAP access with push mail on your yahoo small buisness hosted web solution.

Works great for me!"

3. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

Well, I tried these steps precisely, and I am still unable to send email from my iPhone. Following the above steps, I actually get an error, telling me that the outgoing mail server for Yahoo is unable to send the message, but that's it.

I am hoping that Yahoo has or will soon enable Small Business email accounts to send as well as receive on iPhones :(