Still having Wifi problems...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rxl125, Aug 25, 2011.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

I have drop outs all the time now vs. when computer was inactive... This started when I did the update. When I click on the wifi button it seems like the computer is always looking for a wifi connection. I have a iMac using Snow Leopard in the basement and the connection is working fine while I'm having problems with Lion upstairs... I'm using Airport express.

2. spincr macrumors member

spincr

Keep trying to connect or use your time wisely and put that SL cd in your machine and reinstall. Problem solved.

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

That may be sound sound advice. I'm getting tons of wifi issues especially with Time Machine backing up. Also, even though I'm telling Lion do not do backups on battery power, it seems to ignore this setting and backs up anyway.

4. DarkestRitual macrumors member

DarkestRitual

5. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I thought I had Wifi resolved on my 2010 27" iMac after the 10.7.1 update, SMC & PRAM reset. But the wife just informed me that she could not connect after returning for sleep. Oddly, there are no issues with the 2011 15" Macbook Pro.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I just submitted a bug to Apple about my wifi not reconnecting after waking from sleep or from a restart. It finds the network, I just have to manually select it every time.
    We'll see if they get back to me ever.

One thing you can try is to change the network channel - perhaps there is some signal interference if it can't be found at all.

7. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Doubtful there is interference. I have the current TimeCapsule and AirportExtreme spread through the house 6 channels apart on each band connected via Gigabit. I'm using only WPA2. I've mapped wifi signals throughout the house as well to see if there is interference. The 2011 Macbook Pro gets 450Mbps connection everywhere except the kitchen for example. The problem iMac is showing 210 consistently.

The behavior is strange. Sometimes it wakes from sleep and the WiFi fan cycles and then connects. Other times, it wakes from sleep and the WiFi fan is solid showing connected. However, no internet services work. I have to repair the connection or reboot to get internet access. I've tried manually setting the IP address, changing DHCP lease times, rebooting all routers and access points.

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Definitely doesn't sound like interference at all. My iMac 10,1 was having similar problem under SL, but it seems to have cleared up with the latest updates in SL.

My MBP running Lion OTOH...

9. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Sadly, I disabled Time Machine with the Time Capsule. Now the iMac seems to return from sleep and reconnect to the network. :(

10. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

So I started to dig deeper to find the differences between the iMac and MBP, and the glaring difference was VMware Fusion. Even without starting Fusion has a bunch of vmnet processes running at boot. So I did a complete uninstall with manual file removal. The result is faster booting and working network with Time Machine so far. The major behavior change is the iMac always looks for wifi after sleep. Before it would come back already joined which was false.

Anyone else with Fusion on Lion with this wifi issue?

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

12. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

I have both wifi issues and internet issues, it just looses the inernet connection randomly and i have to re-boot to make it work.. :mad:

13. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Well I mistakenly posted that I thought I had fixed my WiFi problem on my 09 i5 iMac; it was fixed for a few days before it bombed out.

What I will say is, Apple phone support is pure bull doodoo. The tech I got told me I was using an insecure connection (wpa personal) and therefor Lion was not going to function. I told him multiple times it was not WEP (what he said it was - even when I told him the iMac stated it was WPA TKIP). Truly annoying, did his best to cold drop me.

I have tried channel switching as that was a "fix" posted on the Apple forums and I have tried all the security settings my old Netgear B/G router allows.

In researching the problem there are people with brand new Macs that had Lion installed at the factory with these problems.

What bugs me is that after waking from sleep my iMac WILL have a connection to the internet for about fifteen seconds or so - more than enough for Mail to download current items and even to hit a web page or two and then suddenly it stops working. I have to click WiFi off and back on to make it work.

14. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

I am seeing the same issue for me since 10.7.1 the wifi drops out at anytime without warning. Turning it on and off doesn't make any difference for me. I didn't see the issue running 10.7 as it was working quite normally for me.

Any ideas to try I am open to them and willing to try.

15. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

robert05au and Shivetya are you using VMware Fusion or Time Machine with Time Capsule?

I was able to resolve my connection problem by 1) disabling automatic Time Machine backups OR 2) complete manual uninstall of VMware (remove com and plist files, etc.)

Both applications tend to make Lion believe it has a connection when it returns from sleep. Your router expects a renew upon returning and it does not appear to happen. I'm dropping VMware Fusion in favor of bootcamp because backups are far more secure and the system boots even faster without all the VMware network daemons (source of the issue) running.

Other suggestions are to do a SMC and PRAM reset. This original worked for a few sleep cycles but the problem returned. YMMV

16. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Thanks for the info. I have VMware Fusion but don't have it installed after reading the issues with it and lion at various forums.

I will try the SMC reset to see if it helps

The strange part is 10.7 the wifi issues with dropouts didn't happen for me.

If I find anything which helps I will post the info

17. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Make sure you did a full uninstall of VMware Fusion. The Uninstaller leaves a lot of files behind. You will have to unhide the user Library to finish the uninstall as well.

18. Shivetya macrumors 65816

No VMWare but I do run Parallels - though it is not active in Activity Monitor. Time Machine is to an external drive by cable.

Knock on wood, my current solution is a twenty digit password.

19. Chazn macrumors regular

I don't experience any drops outs but only painfully slow internet. In YouTube I even have to wait for the video to buffer when it's at 360p...

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Precisely! When I did the uninstall I expected there would be some random files remaining, but I had no idea there would be so many. I should have counted just for the heck of it.

21. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well the only suggestion for fixing wireless are as follows:

1. Reset Your PRAM to se if it helps.

2. When and How to Reset Mac SMC (System Management Controller). Use this article to Reset your Mac's SMC.

3. Reset the Airport Preferences file:

a) Turn of Airport in your Mac
    b) Navigate to the folder /YourHardDrive/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and find the files com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and drag it to the Trash Can (but don't delete it just yet.
    c) REBOOT so OS X can rebuild that file!
    d) Open System Preferences->Network pane at the top of the pane use the drop-down for 'Location' and make a new custom location name calling it whatever you want. Then in the right hand pane bottom click on the 'Apply' button to save you new Location.
    e) While still in the System Preferences->Network pane highlight your Airport card and use the Airport tab to rejoin your wireless network. Don't worry about the new custom Location because it will act just like the Automatic function.

So these are the only fixes I can suggest. Good Luck.