Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
I knew that there was no possibility for news of a larger touch or smaller pad today; but do any of you think that some of the rumors might be true and Apple will reveal a 5 or 7 incher in the next few months?

I'm doing graduate work, and I'm going to the field next spring and a 5 incher would be perfect to write short notes, record interviews and READ articles.

I almost ordered the new touch but I'm glad I didn't because I know that reading on it will be a pain. And for those who tell me to get an iPad: it is really too big for me to pull out conveniently and type or record in the field. I really want it to be discreet.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I knew that there was no possibility for news of a larger touch or smaller pad today; but do any of you think that some of the rumors might be true and Apple will reveal a 5 or 7 incher in the next few months?

I'm doing graduate work, and I'm going to the field next spring and a 5 incher would be perfect to write short notes, record interviews and READ articles.

I almost ordered the new touch but I'm glad I didn't because I know that reading on it will be a pain. And for those who tell me to get an iPad: it is really too big for me to pull out conveniently and type or record in the field. I really want it to be discreet.

We're in the same boat, I love my 2g touch reading certain things like comics is okay but things like browsing is a chore. I was waiting for the new 4g ipod touch but im going to hold of purchasing it until around jan/feb to see wether apple will indeed release a 7 inch ipad.

Unfortunatley i cant see them releasing a 5 inch model but there seems to be a growing market for 7 inch tablets and hopefully Steve Jobs obsession with smallness and thinness rears its head and apple follow suit.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Probably this thread belongs in the iPad group. Apple disappointed with the new Touch but I understand why. They want to keep the Touch's features limited for cost reasons. The Touch is as large as it ever will be and a larger screen device will more properly be a type of iPad. The size is debatable but the rumors point to a seven inch device as most likely and that is the size most of the other tablet wannabees are choosing. Apple needs a smaller iPad product just to keep market share in the tablet niche. I saw a physical comparison of the 10 inch iPad with a possible 7 inch device and the difference is marked so it may actually fit in most coat pockets and cargo pants. We can only hope.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I can see a 7" model coming later this year or early next year.
I hope so to! It would explain the rumors both of a 7 inch iPad and a new iPad commng since a 7 inch model would be the new iPad. I expect the current iPad not to see a refresh for another year. I had hopes for the Touch but Apple has made it clear that it will be cheaper and less featured than the iPhone with a younger target market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.