Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emmspace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
So I just came to the conclusion that every picture I have uploaded to my design portfolio Emmspace Design looks like a crappy eBay picture. I have a nice camera (Sony DSLR) and a tripod. How would you guys recommend I improve my still life shooting? I have no lights, other than just regular reading lamps. Any help would be amazing! I am enclosing a crappy shot, just so you can see what I mean. Here it is:

80b424fc65f49ea0f2a888245460b973.jpg

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
So I just came to the conclusion that every picture I have uploaded to my design portfolio Emmspace Design looks like a crappy eBay picture. I have a nice camera (Sony DSLR) and a tripod. How would you guys recommend I improve my still life shooting? I have no lights, other than just regular reading lamps. Any help would be amazing! I am enclosing a crappy shot, just so you can see what I mean. Here it is:

You definitely need some different angles and better lighting. You need to ask Fett, he has the best still life photos I have ever seen.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You don't need any fancy lights. All you need is a table next to a window. The window will make a nice main light and you can fill with a large sheet of white cardboad used as a reflector. If you must work at night, go to Home Depot and buy a 500 watt haligen work light. Aim the light at a white wall and use the bright spot on the wall as if it were the window. There are dozens of low cost/no cost lighting techniques, for example making a kind of tent out of thin white nylon or a very small version from a white milk jug with the botom cut out.

The hardest part is knowing what you want to do. I suggest ripping pages from magizines and catalogs when you see a photo you would like to duplicate. Then try to copy the effect yourself.

There are also a b'zillion books on this subject. Even 30 year old books from your local library will still be applicable a light did not change with the invention of "digiital".

Above all else do not use the strobe that is built into your camera.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

$10 DIY light tent (cardboard box, exacto knife and tracing paper,) some interesting colors and materials for sweeping backgrounds and some light (flashes, desk lamps...) and some white and black foamcore for reflectors and black flags.

It's all about the light and shadows.

Google $10 macro studio, go bigger- either with a box or Ikea hamper or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.