Still logical to purchase the 30" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chiefroastbeef, Apr 24, 2009.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Hello folks,

I currently have a 24" HP LP2475 connected to my mbp, however, I am still craving more screen real estate. I have been approved of purchasing the $1,800 ACD, however, is that still a reasonable buy? Even with the prospects of a newer 30" in the future?

I know HP and Dell have 30" screens, but I rather not go with HP again(my 2475 has a slight pink tint on the right side, and green tint on the left side :mad: ), and some say Dells have the same chances of a dud monitor according to a couple of forums I came across. ACDs have a constant good quality and performance record, aside from the normal high-price complaints.

I guess what I am asking is should I wait to see if they will release a new 30"? Or should I just buy the current one? Will the new one feature the mini displayport as well? In that case I will definitely get the current one.

Thanks for any input! I've pretty much answered my own question, but I just need a little pep rally from you guys before I go the deep end.

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the new one will definitely have the mini-display port as Apple has publicly stated many times that from now on all their machines will sport the new connector.

The current 30" is still an awesome display. I use mine happily everyday.

As for your question whether you should wait and see..i'll answer with a question of my own: how long are you prepared to wait? ;)

3. sjivan macrumors member

I bought a Dell refurb which was dead. They eventually replaced it with a new one after dealing with their terrible customer support. The Dell 30 is a very good monitor and displays great on windows. The problem is that the font display is blurry when used with OSX. I tried to configure the hell out of it, and while it has improved, its still not as sharp as the ACD 30.

So if you have been "approved", I'd say go with the ACD 30.

4. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you both of you, I appreciate the input. The pep rally is over, I am getting the 30" ACD!

The design is pure art. The dells and hp may perform well if one doesn't get a lemon, but the alum ACD performs well and looks even better. A year later, I still look at my mbp in awe. I'm sure I'll look at the ACD the same way years down the road.

Thanks again!

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

good choice my friend. It's pricey but I guarantee you won't be disappointed. It's a great display both for doing work on and a piece of art to admire. I warn you though, once you go 30" you never go back :p

6. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okie dokie, just placed the order on the Apple Hong Kong site, should be here by Wednesday, though I'll be away for a trip on Friday :( .

zerotails, from your expertise, will I be able to run both the 30" monitor, and my 08 Penryn MBP screen at the same time? Or must I run it in clam shell mode? I thought I'd use the MBP screen for palettes and data stuff.

Thanks!

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yep you can run them both at the same time and have 2 screens. It's better actually as running in clam shell mode will be slightly hotter.

Please take pictures when you get it ^_^

9. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, thank you for the input, I will definitely post pictures.

On the down side, I just bought a Apiotek CF reader Express card, it has crashed my laptop three times so far... Twice right when I plugged it in, the other time it worked when I plugged it in, but crash when I pulled it out... :( I hope I can return this, I am in Hong Kong after all.