Still looking for a mouse - Logitech MX Revolution vs Microsoft Natural 6000

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hldomster, Apr 3, 2009.

1. hldomster macrumors member

Hey,

I'm looking for a mouse to go with my LED ACD to use when the MacBook is shut.

I think I've narrowed it down to these two: the Microsoft Natural Wireless Mouse 6000 or the Logitech MX Revolution

I need a wireless mouse which has multiple buttons which I can customise (I'm happy to use Steermouse to do that if I can't do it through OS X). Those aremy main concerns, so if you think the mice I've chosen above are expensive for that and can suggest a cheaper alternative, then please feel free.

For me, the most important feature the mouse needs to replicate is the trackpads multi touch gestures. I constantly use the app switcher, exposé and show desktop all the time using four finger multi-touch gestures, so I need a mouse with enough buttons or functionality to be able to do this.

All comments and advice are welcome.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've got the MX Revolution and have the thumb wheel programmed to reveal desktop and to switch apps. It's a great mouse, and there are additional buttons you can use as well.

3. hldomster thread starter macrumors member

How is the VX in comparison. Seen it is slightly cheaper; is the functionality much different?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's been a while since I've handled the VX, but IIRC it doesn't have a thumb wheel and is lighter (which you'd probably expect from a mouse being toted as "for portability..."). I never seriously considered buying the VX though, so maybe someone that actually uses it would like to comment.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

If you want to use those 3 functions then youll have to drop one with the MS mouse since it only has 2 custom buttons while the MX has 6 (unless you want to dedicate the scrollwheel click to an expose function like the mighty mouse does, but I think the middle-click to open a new tab isnt worth giving up). The MX has 2 regular thumb buttons plus the thumb "wheel" which isnt a wheel at all but just tilts back and forth like a switch and has a click function (making 3 button configs), then theres one button in the middle of the mouse under the real scroll wheel bringing the total to 6.

Actually, both mice have the side scrolling feature where you tilt the scroll wheel, if you can customize that then the MS mouse would have 4 custom buttons since side scrolling is almost never used by most people.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I love the MX Revolution. I have one at work and one at home. I did have problems getting it programmed on my G5 at work, but otherwise, it has been one of my favorite mice I have owned. The VX is a bit smaller, and lacking the thumb scroll. I personally found the VX too small for my hands, but then again, I have fairly big hands. A lot of people seem to like the VX, though, so you may want to fondle...err, handle one in a local store to see how it feels. I have also used the Microsoft 6000, and never had a problem with it. I just think the MX feels better.

7. hldomster thread starter macrumors member

OK, I'm drawn towards the Logitech mice now because I would like to keep the middle mouse button for new tab - it's one of the few things I miss from Windows, ha ha! I'd still consider the MS mouse if it could be customisable to my specs though.

Anyway. The VX vs MX debate. The MX is quite expensive, £55 on Amazon UK, and that is a fair bit. I'm not bothered about a smaller mouse; I had a mini Sony mouse that I used with my Windows laptop. I'll happily buy the VX if it has the same button customisation features as the MX, but if it doesn't then I'm hesitant, so someone please let me know.