Still looking for the elusive AUTOTEXT function!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by leonhutto, Mar 8, 2011.

1. leonhutto macrumors newbie

I just read a prvs ("previous") previous thread abt (about") about this and it looks like there's still no joy for us ex-Blackberry users. I'm talking about the iPhone version of the venerable Blackberry AUTOTEXT function. for instance:

- type "u" in a text or email and the word "you" is automatically substituted.

- type "r" and you get "are"

- type "n" and get "in"

For instance, typing "call me when u r n the lobby" gets replaced with "call me when you are in the lobby". The Blackberry had many of these handy shortcuts already installed, and you could extend the custom dictionary to add just about anything you wanted. Very handy!

Does anybody have any credible info on whether this will ever be included with the IOS for the iPhone, or whether there is a 3rd party app that will give me this ability?

I like the iPhone so far. If this feature can be added, I would LOVE it.

2. leonhutto thread starter macrumors newbie

3. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

There's a jailbroken app called inspell that does this.

4. robertl594 macrumors newbie

Auto text!

I find it very hard to beileve that this has not been Developed yet by Apple. It is such a critical functionality. I returned my iPhone and went back to my Blackberry for this reason alone over a year ago. Looks like I will be returning my iPad2 and will buy the Blackberry Playbook for this reason as well.

The issue is that even the less than effective apps are not native to the operating system so they are limited to creating a new message and cannot be used for replying to one.

If apple really wants to take a bite out of the BB market, this is one thing that they wil have to do.
    RL

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I seriously doubt that most users would consider a text feature "critical".:rolleyes:
    I guess that people aren't going to be satisfied, until the iPhone has every feature that any phone has ever had or is ever going to have, and is the size of a laptop.

6. Ponderous macrumors regular

I'm with you. I was all BlackBerry for years. Sure I miss the autotext. Especially the custom entries I added on my devices. But "critical functionality" it is not.

7. leonhutto thread starter macrumors newbie

JamesMB, no one asked you for your opinion of what is/is not critical, and of what "people" want. That wasn't the point of my original post. Just because YOU don't see a critical need for something doesn't mean someone else can't either. Sounds like you are happy to just take whatever Apple decides to give you.

I was asking if anyone knew of a current or future iPhone implementation of AUTOTEXT. Thanks to all the others who chimed in. Looks like jailbreaking may be the only current solution for me.

8. himni macrumors regular

Inspell will let you add anything into the "Autotext". You can also cancel a "Autotext" just like you do auto-correct. Also Inspell isn't free it cost a couple bucks.

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sooo, it's ok with you, if someone gives an opinion that you do agree with, but it's not ok if someone gives an opinion you don't agree with. I must have missed that post, because I don't see where you corrected the poster that does think it is a "critical feature". This is a forum! Forums are for opinion and friendly debate! BTW, I maintain my position, that a text feature is not a critical feature.
    Apple didn't "give" me anything, I bought it. If I had wanted a Blackberry, or another device, with different features, I would have bought that instead.

I know exactly what you were asking...I wasn't responding to you. Once again, this is a forum, and I don't see anywhere in the forum rules, where it states that posters must reply to the thread starter, and no one else.

10. leonhutto thread starter macrumors newbie

to clarify, i'm not looking for opinion, but for information on availability of an autotext capability for iphone text and email.

Not the least interested in whether you think it's a good idea or necessary.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

News for you, people are entitled to their own opinions.

Mine is that you're asking for a useless function. Learn to type :rolleyes:

12. leonhutto thread starter macrumors newbie

vincenz:Yes you are right, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but only a narcissistic jerk hijacks a thread to insert their opinion when no one asked them for it.

Learn to answer questions. No one gives a s___ what you think.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

But does Apple know people actually want this? Did anyone go to http://www.Apple.com/feedback and list it as a wanted feature? Asking for it on forums isn't going to do anything.

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Aww paw widdo leonhutto is mad :(

Still not giving a s___ by the way :rolleyes:

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

What I find interesting is that you still haven't said anything about Inspell from the two people who actually responded.

If you want to know if Apple will do this in stock firmware I think you'll be disappointed. I think their response would be, "it's got a full keyboard and it autocorrects."

16. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I would watch throwing around those 'narcissistic jerk' comments.. Might have a look at the forum rules.

My point still stands, you failed to comment on the "opinion" that you agree with, but chastise someone who posts something that you don't agree with.
    I didn't "hijack" your thread any more that the post that claimed it was a critical function, but again, that post didn't seem to bother you.

17. jono888 macrumors newbie

BlackBerry PlayBook AutoText Function

Can we confirm on this that the BlackBerry PlayBook supports the AutoText function? Will it automatically port all you autotext words once its bridge with BlackBerry?

Thanks!