still need a torx screwdriver?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alesse, Jun 10, 2009.

1. alesse macrumors member

i'm planning on upgrading my new 13" macbook pro with a 500gb hard drive. do u still need a t60 torx screwdriver to do that? if so, would i find that at a hardware store or an electronics store?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Lowes sells a very nice KOBALT Torx driver with 8 bits for about $5-6. I think it's worth having regardless.

3. UrFatMom macrumors regular

I just bought one at Canadian Tire.. it's a 60 bit TORX kit, cost around 25$. I think I will never have to buy one ever again, lol.

(used it to replace my cable receiver's HDD)

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Home depot has a nice little husky kit that they sell for a few bucks as well.

Well worth it imo.

5. alesse thread starter macrumors member

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

What part of the install is the Torx screwdriver required? Is it for the mounting screws? As on Apple's site all I see is a mention of a philips screwdriver. I do plan on buying OEM so I assume I have to use the existing mounting screws.

I was looking and I have a #30,25,20,15 and 10 torx screwdriver and I do have a philips #00 too, am I good to go? I think I might have some other torx bits too somewhere.

EDIT: looks like I need a #6... I think I probably just need to read some more/watch some videos before I do this.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can use a properly sized flathead screwdriver on torx screws if you don't want to buy a torx.

8. Ploki macrumors 68000

i couldnt find a T06 nowhere ... so i used a bit smaller imbus (hex) key. it went fine without damaging the screw one bit

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

MOther of God, that was a pain. Damn 24-7 Wal-Mart only had down to T-8. FOund a kit at Ace Hardware the next day with a T-6, the only one I have seen to this day. Not sure what the reasoning behind all that was aside from the extreme T-6 lobby.

10. Ploki macrumors 68000

yeah, i only got T8 too... stupid shops around here dont have anything. its so hard to find a proper screwdriver these days.. seems like people dont know how to fix anything themselves in the 21st century.

11. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Would certainly explain the economy.

12. Dip Falcon macrumors newbie

I just upgraded my HD in my 13" uMB, and from what I see here it looks like the HD mount remains unchanged: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody/814/1 . I found a torx multi-tool at Lowe's for $5.98: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=239384-16878-60272&lpage=none

13. alesse thread starter macrumors member

i stopped off at home depot and bought a small set. i just finished upgrading my hard drive. thanks to all who helped. and btw, i totally needed the torx! :)

14. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

For what?

15. alesse thread starter macrumors member

to take off the little screw things on the sides of the original hard drive to put on the new hard drive so it sits snugly and doesn't move around.

16. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of getting the retail version of the WD 500GB scorpio blue as I can get it for only $10 more then the OEM version, would I have to use a torx screwdriver then? If it saves me from having to buy a torx screwdriver and a trip to the hardware store then it's worth it.

17. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I picked up a Torx T8 at Frys Electronics. It was like $3 (just in case anyone else is interested)

18. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Do you need the torx to do the ram or just a small phillips?

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

torx on the old plastic mb was to transfer the hdd cradle over thats is. is it the same? id guess so but not sure

20. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

No because you still need a torx to remove the caddy off the old hard drive and put it on your new one.

21. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I bought a set, individually from Sears ...

T5, T6, T7, T8, T9

I already had T10 and above.

22. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Please don't.

I love opening gear where the screws are all slightly-to-completely stripped because of this practice.

It works on some, but not on others. Spend the $15 on a proper screwdriver set.

It was difficult for me to get this screwdriver, because I did not know it was called "torx" 4 years ago. When I finally figured out what it was called, walking into radioshack, sears, and other stores around me, I got the weirdest looks saying "do you have a torx screwdriver?"

I hate modern day retail stores.

23. apeacock macrumors member

That is asking for trouble (scripping screws)

I was able to get a 40 piece precision screwdriver set with all the small torx sizes for $10 at Home Depot - the set has come in handy many many times and was well worth it.