Still needing help, anyone? Previously Jail broken iphone 3g trouble

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bradmullins007, Mar 5, 2011.

1. bradmullins007, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

bradmullins007 macrumors newbie

I'm sure this is answered somewhere but I do digress to posting this topic after i've searched for two evenings online for the answer and haven't yet found it. I purchased an iphone 3g (he said...he being not so knowledgable) that was jailbroken...I scanned the phone over and told him yeah I'd buy it and he then informed me he had to reset it so he ciould erase all of his info and such so no big deal. He brought me the phone back and it was on the apple logo so here's where all the questions begin to arise that aren't so simply answered as I'm a new iphone user.
    Is my phone a 3g for sure? How can I tell?
    I can get my phone to list the restore option on itunes but should I restore if it was already jailbroken? I question this bc it informs me on itunes that the latest firmware will be installed, is the latest firmware jailbreakable?

So basically here I am with an iphone that doesn't list the firmware when going to check your hardware on PC or on itunes it says NA for device name and such so I have no idea where to begin if someone could kindly get me started I'm quite sure I can conquer the jailbreaking...I just need to know what firmware and iphone I have...thanks

2. bradmullins007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also when I sync it up with itunes on my pc it takes me through the restore process for 10-15 minutes and then gives me the error 1015. I've looked the error up but I don't see anything that makes sense in my case..

3. svenn macrumors 6502

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yeah, the person you bought it from wasn't to smart...It's not a good idea to reset a Jailbroken iPhone, as it puts the phone in restore mode. It would have been much better to do a "restore as new in itunes".
    Put the phone in DFU mode and restore it from there.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

If you have trouble with this, search DFU mode, and you will find some youtube clips.

5. bradmullins007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually followed the steps with downloading redsnow and the downloading the4.2.1 firmware through itunes and I got the same error 1015....
    it's also an iphone 3g 8gb

6. bradmullins007 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried this as welll

I downloaded iReb lastnight and it completed its process. It said if the screen turned green it was good to go. So I was supposedly good to go bc it did turn green but itunes gave me a different error 1166 and the next tries were again error 1015.
    Maybe this phone needs to be restored to the persons pc it was synced with? Is this possible?

7. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

8. bradmullins007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried recBOOT, and tiny umbrella. I've put the phone into dfu mode and tried SHIFT click RESTORE to a custom 4.2.1 firmware but I still get an error 1015 and over and over the same process no matter what programs I use I can't get past the apple screen.

9. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I had similar problems with my 3G being stuck in a recovery loop. The first time I got it out following links such as those listed here, although it took me a few goes for it to work. The second time, having had enough of 4.2 running like a dog on my device, I downgraded it to 3.1.3 to get it out. Basically all you need is the 3.1.3 IPSW and you can do it all through iTunes....just just need recboot or tinyumbrella at the end when you get the 1015 error.

If you continue to have no luck with restoring to iOS4 it might be worth while trying, if it works at least you'll have more information about your phone.