Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
MR had an article earlier this week with benchmark results for all but the 13" MBP. What's up with zero information on this new machine?

I've read many posts bashing it. For me, it is the absolute best value and performance.

I order the base model w/8GB and ordered a crucial M4 ($399). I get a discount through my employer, so:
MBP 2.4GHz i5 w/8GB Ram = $1,189
512GB Crucial M4 = $399
Total = $1,588

You can't touch this price/performance (for my needs) with the MBA or the 15" retina or otherwise. Plus I gain USB 3.0, keep my Opti drive, have TB & ethernet. Finally, I can upgrade later if needed.

I'll give you the display is lagging in resolution compared to the others...but I'm not a gamer and it's not like screen resolutions have been so terrible we were having difficulty getting work done. Movies on the 13" are high enough quality for me. At native resolution, its not like I'm seeing pixels. Could it be better? Absolutely, but not at the current premium.

Assuming a retina 13" does get released in the Fall, what do you think a 13" retina MBP w/a 512GB SSD is gonna rate? I'm thinking between the current 15" MBP and the 15" retina MBP. Very expensive for a 13" computer.

Anyways, I was hoping someone would've posted some feedback on the new 13" MBP by now. It was Apple's biggest selling laptop...and probably will remain so. It just seems like many are avoiding it like the plague. I'm certainly not.

Thoughts?

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
What's to review? Still has crappy resolution screen, heavy and thick, no quad core, integrated graphics and more expensive than a macbook air 13".

Pointless machine.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
The resolution is for for single app content but multi-tasking requires much more physical real estate. There's no space to work, and is the main reason I'm upgrading to a 15", retina or otherwise.

Just find a review of the 2011 model and raise the benchmarks slightly, since that's all that happened.

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I LOVE my 13in Macbook Pro. Here's how it went for me.

Apple refunded me the price of my old 2009 Macbook Pro when it finally died (still had 2 weeks of Applecare left) :eek:
Refunded $1,199
Purchased MBP 2.9GHz i7 w/8GB Ram = $1,499
Subtract $100 Educational Discount
256GB Samsung 830 SSD = $199 (on sale Tigerdirect)
Total = $399 + Received $100 iTunes Gift Card. :D

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
I LOVE my 13in Macbook Pro. Here's how it went for me.

Apple refunded me the price of my old 2009 Macbook Pro when it finally died (still had 2 weeks of Applecare left) :eek:
Refunded $1,199
Purchased MBP 2.9GHz i7 w/8GB Ram = $1,499
Subtract $100 Educational Discount
256GB Samsung 830 SSD = $199 (on sale Tigerdirect)
Total = $399 + Received $100 iTunes Gift Card. :D

how did you pull that off? lol. Applecare is that useful?

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wait for the next refresh, maybe you will see the 13" RMBP

Again, what price do you think a premium retina display with 512 GB SSD will cost in the 13" variety?

What's to review? Still has crappy resolution screen, heavy and thick, no quad core, integrated graphics and more expensive than a macbook air 13".

Pointless machine.

When did the MBA get a quad core and discreet graphics? I missed something! Got the resolution point. I was really hoping the new 13" would come inline with the MBA's resolution. However, to get 512GB (my absolute minimum), the MBA would be way too expensive and not upgradable when prices come down. Also, I'd lose the opti drive (not a big deal), understand I could lug around an external (now I don't).

Thick and Heavy??? Oh how we forget the past. The 13" MBP weights the same as the 15" retina MBP. Is it too heavy?

Just find a review of the 2011 model and raise the benchmarks slightly, since that's all that happened.

Same with all of the models (save the 17"). So why reviews on them but not the 13"? My point is the 13" is the most sold laptop Apple makes. I'll bet it keeps that title this year as well due to the price/performance mentioned earlier.

I absolutely understand it isn't for everyone. Most in here are power users (or think they are), and need extra horses. However, we are at the point now were the HDD is becoming the bottle neck. So an SSD drastically improves computer speed. So the MBA is limited, and the 15" is too expensive at the 512GB range (to not be expandable in the future).

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
how did you pull that off? lol. Applecare is that useful?

I don't know. I brought the computer in 7x in the last 3 years. Time 6 was for a HD failure and when I got the computer back the casing was put on in a way that prevented the computer from going into sleep mode. When I took it back a few days later they offered to give me a new computer. Then 3 weeks later the new one came out and I called them I told them I had just "gotten" the computer 3 weeks ago and wanted to know if it was possible to exchange and they said yes. They returned the 3-week old 2011 model computer into the system for the new 2012 model and gave me the $100 discount + the $100 iTunes card.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england

Pointless machine.

graphics, benchmarks, CPU speeds, demonstrations with things like photoshop are things to review. While i agree they have a 'crap resolution', no one cares on this, for a 13" i think it is pretty good, when this has a screen resolution of 1280, compared to the 1366 x 768 you see on most 15" displays.

Despite this computer being 'thick and heavy', i would prefer to carry a 13" MBP around than a 15" MBP.

No quad core? no 13" computers have quad-core, and probably will never until Intel make small enough quad-core chips for 13" computers. The dual cores already found in the 13" MBPs have hyper threading, which boost the processor up to 4 cores, (2 physical and 2 virtual) increasing speeds by up to 30%. I think that you are missing out the fact that also apple's main priority isn't the CPU as well, nor is most other components in their 13" MBPs, and the build of the 13", there is much more than just the processor, like RAM, hard drive, optical drive fans,etc.

for the OP: i would suggest this video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svz2zrWKZDw&feature=plcp

:)

Last edited:

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
graphics, benchmarks, CPU speeds, demonstrations with things like photoshop are things to review. While i agree they have a 'crap resolution', no one cares on this, for a 13" i think it is pretty good, when this has a screen resolution of 1280, compared to the 1366 x 768 you see on most 15" displays.

Despite this computer being 'thick and heavy', i would prefer to carry a 13" MBP around than a 15" MBP.

No quad core? no 13" computers have quad-core, and probably will never until Intel make small enough quad-core chips for 13" computers. The dual cores already found in the 13" MBPs have hyper threading, which boost the processor up to 4 cores, (2 physical and 2 virtual) increasing speeds by up to 30%. I think that you are missing out the fact that also apple's main priority isn't the CPU as well, nor is most other components in their 13" MBPs, and the build of the 13", there is much more than just the processor, like RAM, hard drive, optical drive fans,etc.

for the OP: i would suggest this video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svz2zrWKZDw&feature=plcp
:)

actually there are some 13'' or even smaller notebooks packing quads, some models are even from last year.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
From the comparable

15" MBP 2.3 vs RMBP 2.3
$400 more you get
- Normal to Retina Display (+???)
- 500GB HDD to 256GB SSD (+$500)
- 4GB to 8GB (+$100)
- No DVD RW (-$50?, superdrive is +$79)
- Slimmer and Updated Design ($$$?)
*almost like a no brainer to go to Retina Display, the machine upgraded to the same spec is already more than $400 price difference.

15" MBP 2.6 vs RMBP 2.6
for $600 more you get
- Normal to Retina Display (+$???)
- 750GB HDD to 512GB SSD (+$900, so Apple values 750GB HHD over 500GB HDD at $100)
- No DVD RW (-$50?, superdrive is +$79)
*once again, if you want SSD, no brainer to get the Retina display machine, it is cheaper yet again.

15" MBP 2.6 vs RMBP 2.3
for SAME price you get
- Normal to Retina Display ($???)
- 750GB HDD to 256GB SSD ($400 - worked out from Apple's upgrade price)
- CPU 2.6Ghz to 2.3Ghz (-$350?)
- No DVD RW (-$50?)

15" RMBP 2.3 to RMBP 2.6
for $600 more you get
- 256SSD to 512GB SSD ($500 - Appel's price)
- 2.3Ghz to 2.6Ghz ($350?)
*so some savings here... if you care about 2.6GHz that is.

*Appears that there isn't much "Retina Premium" here... Retina display price is built into everything else.

Thus...
For a Base model MBP 13" assume all else equal:
$1,199:
+ retina: $??? (say -$100 for smaller screen)
+ SSD 256GB: $500
+ 8GB RAM: $100
So probably starting price of $1699.
*note... no nVidia 650M...

At this point, Retina is the differentiator. I think Apple is really going to milk the 13" market for another year before they phase out the old display.

Talking about operations and supply management... got to use up the old parts first right? :)

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
*Appears that there isn't much "Retina Premium" here... Retina display price is built into everything else.

Thus...
For a Base model MBP 13" assume all else equal:
$1,199:
+ retina: $??? (say -$100 for smaller screen)
+ SSD 256GB: $500
+ 8GB RAM: $100
So probably starting price of $1699.
*note... no nVidia 650M...

At this point, Retina is the differentiator. I think Apple is really going to milk the 13" market for another year before they phase out the old display.

Talking about operations and supply management... got to use up the old parts first right? :)

Great analysis! Really brings price/cost into perspective.

So approx. $1,700 for a 13" retina laptop w/256GB SSD sounds about right to me. This will not compete with the current price point of the cMBP, so I don't think Apple will get rid of it. They need a 13" or bigger screen competitive at the $1K price point.

For $100 less, the cMBP 13" at $1,588:
- 512GB ($399 crucial m4--upgradable if prices drop in the next 2-3 years for larger models--think 750GB!)
- Optical Drive (Option to add original HDD to optical drive with data doubler)
- Ethernet
- Option to upgrade to 16GB Ram (price not factored in...but we all agree it would be cheaper than Apple's Ram which you have to choose upon purchase with a retina MBP).
- lower resolution display
- slightly thicker laptop (13" MBP is still ultra portable)
- slightly heavier (4.5 lbs not a big issue)

In my mind, the only negative is the resolution (which isn't a huge productivity advantage). However, I'm losing so much more with a "closed" system at a 13" retina price point. I just can't fathom the idea of carrying around an external hard drive or DVD drive on a laptop. I might as well carry an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. This is why I'm not waiting for a 13" retina in the Fall.

If the retina could come it at around the $1,100 to $1,400 price point then Apple would have a competitive argument against the cMBP 13"

Imagine if Apple dropped all the cMBP in favor of the retina models. $2,000+ for the 15" version and $1,700+ for the 13" variant. People would be suing Apple! Thus, the cMBP 13" will be viable until SSD prices drop (I'm thinking 2 years and they should be less prohibitive).

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Again, what price do you think a premium retina display with 512 GB SSD will cost in the 13" variety?

When did the MBA get a quad core and discreet graphics? I missed something! Got the resolution point. I was really hoping the new 13" would come inline with the MBA's resolution. However, to get 512GB (my absolute minimum), the MBA would be way too expensive and not upgradable when prices come down. Also, I'd lose the opti drive (not a big deal), understand I could lug around an external (now I don't).

Thick and Heavy??? Oh how we forget the past. The 13" MBP weights the same as the 15" retina MBP. Is it too heavy?

Same with all of the models (save the 17"). So why reviews on them but not the 13"? My point is the 13" is the most sold laptop Apple makes. I'll bet it keeps that title this year as well due to the price/performance mentioned earlier.

I absolutely understand it isn't for everyone. Most in here are power users (or think they are), and need extra horses. However, we are at the point now were the HDD is becoming the bottle neck. So an SSD drastically improves computer speed. So the MBA is limited, and the 15" is too expensive at the 512GB range (to not be expandable in the future).

the macbook pro 13" doesn't have discrete graphics either. both the 13" pro and air have intel HD 4000. also the 13" pro is actually a bit HEAVIER than the 15" retina pro. and you're ignoring the fact that the 15" retina pro is... 15"! Unless you do cpu intensive work like video encoding, id say you're better off with a 13" air.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
the macbook pro 13" doesn't have discrete graphics either. both the 13" pro and air have intel HD 4000. also the 13" pro is actually a bit HEAVIER than the 15" retina pro. and you're ignoring the fact that the 15" retina pro is... 15"! Unless you do cpu intensive work like video encoding, id say you're better off with a 13" air.

You need to re-read post #3. I was being sarcastic about quad core and discreet graphics.

Also, you need to re-read my post that said 500GB hard drive is a minimum requirement for me. Configure that on Apple's website for a MBA and let us know the price.

And heavier? Really? You're going to argue over .04lbs?

Finally, the retina 15" is $1,000 more than what I ordered. The benefit doesn't outweighs the cost (for me) for a beefier processor. In terms of the retina, I want a 13" (again, just read the thread) This is why I asked what a retina 13" would cost!

angelsguardian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
North East Scotland
The resolution is for for single app content but multi-tasking requires much more physical real estate. There's no space to work, and is the main reason I'm upgrading to a 15", retina or otherwise.

Or just run a different space for each group of tasks, just a gesture away. The 2012 is definitely more than the sum of the upgrades. Also in the real world the jump from 13" to 15" is pretty big in £ terms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.