Still No Fix for Sub-folder Mail Notifications or VIP?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by opeepingtomo, Oct 3, 2013.

1. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

I use an exchange account at work which I have added to my iOS devices.

With my exchange account, I also have rules setup so that emails from certain people or of a certain type get moved to specified sub-folders within my inbox.

The issue I am having is although I have set which folders get "polled" automatically, i still have to remember to look within my exchange account under the "Accounts" section of the Mail app in order to tell if any of my subfolders have new messages.

Once I go this far all of my folders that are automatically polled will show how many new messages they have next to them, but at the screen prior to this which shows the inboxes and also the "Accounts" section, it will only show the number of new messages which reside directly in the main inbox.

I thought that I could possibly use the VIP selection in order to accommodate this limitation, but it doesn't work for messages that go to an exchange subfolder.

Anyone figure out any workarounds for this that do not require me having multiple copies of the same message (leaving a copy in the inbox in addition to my rule which moves it to the appropriate folder), or does anyone know if Apple is working on some more options for Mail. It seems like iOS should be passed this already.

Heck, maybe make it so you can list any inbox or subfolder at the top (above the accounts section in Mail)... even that would be okay.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

From the Mail summary screen (where all inboxes is displayed) click on EDIT on the top right and scroll down and click add mailbox > browse to the sub-folder you want and it will get added to your mail summary screen so you dont have to go digging every time looking. I have 2 sub folders setup this way on my exchange account.

3. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I don't think there is a "perfect" solution yet but this helped a great deal.

Thanks again.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You're welcome. This minor change in the mail app was a big help for me as I work the same way you do. With sub folders and rules.

5. 26theone macrumors newbie

Thank you as well. I have been searching the web for help on this exact issue. Not sure how its not more widespread. I have to use rules in Outlook/Exchange/O365 to move new mail to subfolders to stay sane. Navigating to those subfolders on my iPhone was a challenge before finding this tip. When I tell people I used to be able to set alerts for specific senders on my ancient Blackberry I get blank stares. :) The native mail app VIP feature appears to only work for messages coming to the Inbox not subfolders.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have rules setup for our work exchange server to redirect to folders as well. That is the only way I work and was disappointed that the iOS 6 mail app didn't give you the ability to add sub folders to the summary screen so I'm really happy with this feature in the iOS 7 mail app :)