Still no HD upgrades?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by robeddie, Nov 15, 2008.

1. robeddie macrumors 68000

robeddie

I know a few potential solutions have been announced. But at the moment, as far as I can tell, there is still no place where I can actually purchase a bigger 1.8 inch, zif hard drive that will work in my MacBook Air.

Frankly, now that it's been on the market for more than 10 months, I'm a little surprised.

If anyone knows where I can buy a new 120, 160, 200, 240gig, ANY size drive that's bigger than my current 80, that would be a revelation. I can't find it.

2. robeddie thread starter macrumors 68000

robeddie

Maybe I was not clear. I KNOW drives such as that have been ANNOUNCED, but when you go to the 'where to buy' link, there is NO place that actually sells the drive. Giving me a link to the manufacturers web site, with no link on where I'd actually be able to order one, is not what I was looking for.

3. michaeldavid macrumors newbie

4. robeddie thread starter macrumors 68000

robeddie

5. michaeldavid macrumors newbie

You'll have to email the seller to confirm that

6. glitch44 macrumors 65816

did you google the model number? a bunch of places pop up. some specify ZIF. if they're legit places is up to you to discover.

7. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Does a reputable site like new egg have something MBA upgradable HD? I'm looking to swap mine for a larger drive.

8. fsosx macrumors newbie

Forget the MK1231GAL.

I tried for hours to make it work.

I always get an I/O error when trying to format it. Drive is seen as a Toshiba MK1231GAL, you can even zero it but when it comes to format it, I got no luck.

I tried using Disk Utility and fdisk (terminal). It looks like the commands are working and saved but whenever you quit fdisk nothing is really saved to disk.

By the way, I get the same results using a PC...

9. eddieaus macrumors regular

is your Toshiba drive from a ipod classic? you cannot format a ipod hard drive, because it is locked by apple. there are many manufactures lock their music player hard drives.