Still no iWork '11

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JamDonut, Jun 6, 2011.

1. JamDonut macrumors member

Hi all,

So i didn't expect iWork necessarily today but with WWDC being software-orientated one would have thought there might be some mention. After all, iLife '11 has been out for months.

What do we reckon? that they will just skip it because it's all on the mac app store now? (which is clearly what they are aiming at now with lion) and just update it as and when? :S or do you think we might still get a 'retail release'?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just get MS office, its a much better product.

Apple seems more interested in getting iWork onto iOS the updating OSX's version.

3. JamDonut thread starter macrumors member

I had noticed this :( problem is, i own an iPad that im always taking notes on lo... so would like iWork to be 'properly' competative with Office and was hoping with '11 it would reach that stage :mad:

looks like i'll be sticking with iA writer for iPad and office for mac for a while longer...

4. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

I was waiting for the same thing but after WWDC, I took the plunge for the box set. Sort of a let down. But isn't it, trying to get away from MS why everybody made the switch to Mac?

5. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Thought on this. In order for the new auto save and versions to work with iWorks, would they not have to at least update it?

Also there was an iworks 11 slip up when the mac app store first opened, where iWorks 11 was shown on a banner. How would that have happend if they were not planning on a 2011 version.

With that in mind, they must be planning a release some time this year. Soon enough that giving it the 11' label is feasible. I can imagine it will be at the same time as lion goes live. At least I hope so, I'm sick of Open Office :(

Thoughts?

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

I am wondering, if you buy the current iWork for OSX, do you then need to buy the iPad/iPhone apps as well seperatly? It would stand to reason that, based on the comments at WWDC regarding all iWork docs go to iCloud and can be accessed edited by any ios device, one purchase includes support for OSX and IOS. Thoughts?

I have Office 2008 on one Mac and 2011 on another. 2008 basically blows chunks from a UI perspective, and 2011, while better and feature rich is so darn buggy and missing many features important to me that I am ready to just trash it and buy iWork, but not if I have to pay $60 for the OSX version and another $30 for the IOS version, that is just silly....it isn't worth $90....then again Office wasn't worth $129 but they got it from me anyway.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you want to avoid MS then try Libre Office, personally I think MS office is a superior product but to each his own.

I do have iWork and its ok, but I found it lacking in dealing with large spreadsheets. Excel is more intuitive but that's just my $.02

8. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I imagine one of two scenarios.

Apple will keep merging the feature sets between the iOS and Mac versions and in a year or so they will be rather similar. My big conspiracy theory moment is that untilmately Apple will have Lion.2 actually able to run iOS apps in full screen mode, and maybe add mouse support or use the MagicTrackpad. That would be neat and fitting with Jobs' style. Then the aps would be updated as they are ready.

The second scenario would be closer to the ship date for Lion, they release an appstore only version of iLife 11 with versioning and iCloud features.

But I truly think Apple is taking the home PC paradigm and standing it on end and migrating us to an iOS/PC agnostic like OS. As the power of mobile devices imrpove, it will no longer be as necessry to have powerful desktops. Honestly, except for video editing, games, aome graphics intense apps and some development, the power in a modern desktop is overkill. Apple could cede the market or at the very least cater to the majority where a laptop and iOS device running some hybrid variant of iOS Lion would work well.

I can see iOS6 and Lion's successor being one in the same.

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, there will be a free update.

It could have been just a typo (confusion with iLife '11) or perhaps Steve decided he was unhappy with it and yanked it. Who knows.

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

What made you come up with that bizarre idea?

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

This - try LibreOffice before you buy MS Office. LibreOffice's Writer (the only component I use) is surprisingly decent.

12. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

So you can get iWork 11 for iPad, but what's the current version for desktops? Is it iWork 09? Cause I can order that for $49.99 at amazon.com....which i might do later.

13. JamDonut thread starter macrumors member

i havent tried iWork with the Dev preview 4 recently released but i will soon and report back, i'm pretty sure the versions feature is built directly into lion. I'm not sure if individual writing apps need to support it as such. Also i was thinking maybe sometime around lion and it makes sense for them to make iWork 11 as an update to the current iWork suite via Mac App Store, as this is the way Apple is headed. Also i have the theory that lion is only $30 because of distribution costs being non-existent and they are tyrying to grow their market share in Mac, which is obvious from the WWDC keynote, so it makes sense to update iWork that way, or for a small in-app fee, which apple have introduced for mac. Who knows :rolleyes:

yes it is the current version, it's far cheaper to buy the apps you want from the mac app store :) or if you feel you need the whole suite... i'm not sure, but a lot of people just want pages or keynote, even both is cheaper than $50 :)

14. LarryC macrumors 6502

I am hoping to see a new version soon. How does Pages compare with Word? I realize that it might not be as full-featured, but I was just wondering if anyone has extensive experience with both, what they thought.

15. Phooto macrumors member

iWork '11 must be coming soon - to support Lion properly with full screen & versions? iWork '09 doesn't provide these features with Lion.

This 'Work '11 book has been allocated an ISBN number... http://amzn.to/omvKGo

16. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Isn't that the same book that was on Amazon at the end of last year? Honestly I would be surprised if they called it iWork '11 at this point.

17. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

It does now with the update.