Still no LED notification?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orange42, Oct 4, 2011.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

What's up with that? That's one of the very few things I thought this phone would finally have. They could have kept the same design and added the little light on the front. I'd much rather that than the flash going off, if that's what is actually gonna happen.

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

That was one of two things I wanted (and a larger screen). :(

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Wasn't there something in iOS5 about LED indicators?

4. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

http://touch.blackberry.com/us/en/smartphones/blackberrytorch.html

There you go. Come on it's a iPhone not a blackberry. Those lights are annoying. It also runs people's lives.. Like omg omg it's blinking I gotta check.

I hope they never add a blinking light.. I think a little ding every once in a while is much better.

5. dawiyo macrumors member

Correct.

6. seanerin macrumors member

As weird as this may sound, I too am very disappointed that it lacks an led indicator...

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

8. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, and most smart phones have them. I used to use a BB and that was something that was very useful. Just cause you didn't want it doesn't mean no one else did. If you didn't want to use it, you could turn it off.
    Cool man. Great input.

9. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Actually I find the tiny green led quite useful on my Droid. It's not big and ugly and it is hidden unless it is flashing. It is sort of nice to see a visual notification when you have your sound turned off.

10. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

You can turn the flash on to notify you.

Why the need for another LED?

11. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because the flash on the 4 is a big bright white light, compared to a tiny green or red light that they could have put next to the ear piece. I don't see why so many people would have a problem with something that HELPS notify you. People just seem to think the iPhone is perfect the way it is and aren't open for it to have a simple improvement.

12. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

my samsung dumb phone had this in 2002.

I wouldn't mind one as long as I could customize it/turn it off when I don't want it.

Just like I could on my samsung dumb phone is 2002.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

14. Huliodude macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes an LED would have been a simple yet fantastic upgrade. An option in the OS to turn it off would satisfy both sides of the LED debate.

15. seanerin macrumors member

I was a Blackberry user for many years and really liked leaving my phone alone and would only pick it up if I had to call/message someone or if the led was blinking.

I have only been an iphone user for the last 14 months and love the phone. It is superior in most ways to blackberry as far as I am concerned. However, I do not like having to press the home button on my phone to see if I have missed any calls/messages. I do not keep my phone on me all the time; I like just leaving it on the desk (just a small attempt to regulate tech in my life). Yet, when I return to my desk I always find myself having to bring my phone to life to see if I missed anything. I realize this is a personal problem but in the past, with the blackberry, I felt I had more control over my phone in this respect.

16. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Hey guys there is a potential donkey kong kill screen coming up. Not sure if you’re interested but there is probably a donkey kong kill screen coming up. Hey guys, there might be a donkey kong kill screen coming up.

17. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's exactly how I feel and what I do.

18. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I would have loved to see an LED notification, but I'll still buy it. :p

19. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I wanted an LED notification aswell, a small light like one of the Mac battery state indicators.

20. seanerin macrumors member

This is very much a psychological dilemma for me that borders on the irrational, but I now feel tempted to go back to blackberry (9900) just for the led, knowing that the iphone is in nearly every way a superior device. I know that I am in the minority here; damn that led! It was just so handy to have it signal that there was a missed notification. I liked being able to keep my phone on silent just about ALL the time. For me it was so less intrusive a phone relationship (yes, I know that sounds odd).

21. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't go as far as to not get the phone because of it, but I really wish it had it.

Can anyone who has been using iOS5 on an iPhone 4 explain what the deal is with the LED setting? How exactly is it used?

22. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wait what ROM version is this? You can just stay on the latter and not get hit.

23. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I personally like that my BB lets me know when I have a message or what have you.

What I DON'T like is that it also blinks like crazy when it's running low on battery. Now THAT drives me crazy.

24. Untaken macrumors member

What is so hard about putting a pulsating LED behind the home button? Simple, elegant and definitely NOT annoying. The fact that you have no way of knowing if you have a notification in the notification center except by pulling it down and looking is just stupid. I fully expected to see some kind of notification LED on the new iPhone for that very reason, but since they dropped the ball the least they could have done is thrown a status bar icon in the OS that says "Hey! I've got a notification here!". :rolleyes:

25. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

There are notifications on the screen, why are you wanting an LED for? Just press the home button and see whats there! Easy! No LED required or needed. Did you have a blackberry before and got used to that?