Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
Wondering when the developer of the Onyx (tweak tool for Mac) will release a version for Big Sur? On his website it says that it will be released 2-3 weeks after Big Sur has been released to the public and it was on November 12th. Hope he has not stopped developing Onyx :oops: I love this tool.

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
He works on Onyx free of charge, as a general rule its a good few weeks before he gets a release out. But with such significant changes and the new M1 chipset it may take longer.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
There are a few bits of software Im waiting on.
Onyx, SuperDuper, and SoftRAID XT are a few.
I can get by without the first two for now, but not without SoftRAID, hence I'm in no rush to upgrade just yet. They have said SoftRAID wont be available for Big Sur until next year, so it seems many developers are having to do a lot of extra work either for Big Sur or the M1 chipset.....

Just posted this on another thread:

Here is what the developer of Onyx states:

"macOS Big Sur was released on November 12. The version of OnyX specific to macOS Big Sur will probably be available four/five weeks afterwards."

So looks like the Big Sur version of Onyx will be arriving shortly. I actually depend on it, and it works real well together with Tech Tool Pro (not run at the same time, of course. I run Onyx first, then Tech Tool Pro).

And it looks like Thunderbird is getting real close, with V84.0b2:

Thunderbird lag in MacOS Big Sur | Thunderbird Support Forum | Mozilla Support

support.mozilla.org
support.mozilla.org

As an alternative to Onyx, try TinkerTool (free) and TinkerTool System (not free) https://www.bresink.com/products.html

Marcel Bresink is doing surprisingly well producing Big Sur versions (including Apple M1) on BS release date - Nov 12.
If I only used a third party program like Onyx, then such quick compatibility would be beneficial. But I have 5 other critical programs that also need to be compatible. Besides, the first few versions of any Mac OS always contain bugs/issues.

• Haha
Reactions: Jack Neill

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Onyx 3.9.1 is out for Big Sur, and it is showing as a native app on my M1 Pro...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 6.08.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 6.08.32 PM.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 195

Del Martes

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
Onyx 3.9.1 is out for Big Sur, and it is showing as a native app on my M1 Pro...

Should there be different versions for Intel Macs and M1 Macs?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
That's where universal binaries come in to play. You don't need to worry about which architecture your Mac uses for a Universal binary, since it contains code for both Intel and M1 platforms.

Reactions: me55 and Del Martes

Del Martes

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
That's where universal binaries come in to play. You don't need to worry about which architecture your Mac uses for a Universal binary, since it contains code for both Intel and M1 platforms.
Just downloaded, installed and ran it. A great app! I have used it for years!

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
Just downloaded, installed and ran it. A great app! I have used it for years!
The site still says the Onyx for Big Sur is in progress and will soon be released. From where have you downloaded this version?

EDIT: Seeing the new version now. I needed to empty the Internet cache in my Safari :)

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The site still says the Onyx for Big Sur is in progress and will soon be released. From where have you downloaded this version?

EDIT: Seeing the new version now. I needed to empty the Internet cache in my Safari :)

Check again. The web page has a link.

Screenshot 2020-12-15 at 11.08.51 AM.png

Reactions: Photopooba

Chris.J

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2010
Anyone able to change the login wallpaper using this version of Onyx? I can't seem to get the settings to take.

halofan56

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Wondering when the developer of the Onyx (tweak tool for Mac) will release a version for Big Sur? On his website it says that it will be released 2-3 weeks after Big Sur has been released to the public and it was on November 12th. Hope he has not stopped developing Onyx :oops: I love this tool.

Onyx is available, version 3.9.1. It was released on monday, 12/14.

halofan56

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
It’s the way the operating system is setup now. The main reason is the SSV. It protects the system from users messing with system files. this is one operating system that you can’t messed with.

Reactions: me55

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
Yes, this was begin to happen in 11.2 beta 2. It's sad that Apple not allowing people to change the login screen background.

I can't see what mess user could do to the OS when just make a change of background on login screen?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.