STILL no phone call audio output via Lightning?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brookzy, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Brookzy, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

TL;DR: Has anyone found a way to output call audio via a Lightning to 30-pin adapter?

In my car I used to use a Lightning cable for power and a 3.5mm aux cable for audio.

Getting fed up with connecting two cables every time I got in and out of the car, and anticipating a headphone jack-less iPhone 7, I looked into a more a elegant solution.

I now use Lightning to 30-pin -> the old iPod Composite AV Cable -> RCA to 3.5mm. Convoluted but visually and functionally superior - it's all hidden in the glove box.

Coupled with a great Brodit mount I now have my music, Sat Nav audio, Siri, and charging all over one cable that I can slot my phone into in an instant. Lovely.

Except calls. Call audio still comes out of the built-in speaker, which is inaudible while driving.

I remember this being a criticism a few years ago, but surely after years of Lightning being in the mainstream this is a problem that has been resolved somehow?

Input appreciated!

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

3. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Interesting... So it is technically possible to route call audio via the Lightning port, but only with the Lightning dock! :confused:

Unfortunately the Lightning dock is unsuitable for car use with it being so flimsy and unmountable.

There must be a way! Grr

Maybe I'll have to get a Lightning extension cable (though they seem dodgy as hell at the moment) and route it into a Lightning dock that's effectively being used as an adapter.