Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Another Mac OS that lacks proper Push email and calendar for Exchange, as iOS always has.

Pretty lame. How hard can this possibly be?

Further, still no way to view Exchange Public Calendars in Calendar.app

They really want me to use Outlook for work don't they? I HATE Outlook.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
I have a problem with Exchange. I can't get my Exchange calendar events to show up. We use Office 365 version of hosted Exchange Server.

"Calendar Agent" process is maxing out CPU and no Exchange events will show.

Any ideas?

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Exchange needs to die. For all the whining that IT guys like to do about Apple and their proprietary systems, Exchange is by far the worst. They follow no standards and are using crufty, old technologies that have long since been outdated.

There is zero reason for Apple to waste development time trying to cobble together any more than they already have working for Exchange. Even if they wanted to, Microsoft is not going to open up the books and put their Office365 product out of business. What some perceive to be Apple failing to support Exchange is equally MS refusing to allow it for the sake of selling software, Surfaces, and PCs. Even Outlook is neutered on the Mac.

Instead, Apple is focusing on building features that enterprises will like without dependencies on things like Exchange, which is exactly what they should be doing.

Fusilero

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
London
I have a problem with Exchange. I can't get my Exchange calendar events to show up. We use Office 365 version of hosted Exchange Server.

Any ideas?

Exactly the same problem unfortunately. No Exchange calendar events show up. Trying to see if there is a workaround by syncing Exchange to Google Calendar and have Calendar synced to that...

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Exactly the same problem unfortunately. No Exchange calendar events show up. Trying to see if there is a workaround by syncing Exchange to Google Calendar and have Calendar synced to that...

Glad to know I'm not alone. Please post back here or PM me if you get it solved! Thank you!

Fusilero

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
London
Glad to know I'm not alone. Please post back here or PM me if you get it solved! Thank you!

Will do. Unfortunately it looks like there is no free way to sync Exchange to iCloud / Google Calendar so even the possible workaround doesn't seem easy :(

pmz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
NJ

Any ideas?

:confused: No idea what that is. I have none of these problems. For the most part Calendar and Mail work properly with Exchange, both Hosted and Private servers.... I'm just disappointed that in 2014 Mail.app can, at best, fetch for Exchange Mail every minute. Horrible. iOS has been Pushing Exchange since 2008.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
What would you replace it with?

IMAP and CalDav seem to be the consensus among other popular providers right now. I understand that Exchange may offer some additional functionality around calendaring, but nothing that can't be duplicated outside of MS's environment (and probably already is by Google and other major players).

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
IMAP and CalDav seem to be the consensus among other popular providers right now. I understand that Exchange may offer some additional functionality around calendaring, but nothing that can't be duplicated outside of MS's environment (and probably already is by Google and other major players).

Let's say you work for a 5000 employee company. You want to replace Exchange because "They follow no standards and are using crufty, old technologies that have long since been outdated". What product, ready for Enterprise, do you use?

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Let's say you work for a 5000 employee company. You want to replace Exchange because "They follow no standards and are using crufty, old technologies that have long since been outdated". What product, ready for Enterprise, do you use?

IMO Google probably has the best, most complete offering as of this moment that I'm aware of.

My company recently completed a migration of a decent number of users from Google to Exchange following an acquisition. It was not pretty.

In the end, it came down to dollars and cents over experience, capability, and usability.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
Another Mac OS that lacks proper Push email and calendar for Exchange, as iOS always has.

Pretty lame. How hard can this possibly be?

Further, still no way to view Exchange Public Calendars in Calendar.app

They really want me to use Outlook for work don't they? I HATE Outlook.

Not a big fan of Outlook either, but I've just given up. Apple Mail stinks. So does the mail app on the iPhone by the way. iCloud mail never worked either reliably.

So, I'm now renting an Exchange Server and bought Office 365. It's silly and not what I expected I would do when I got rid of PCs (after the Win 8 folly) and bought all Macs and iPhones. Let's face it: there is nothing available at the moment that works 100% for professional office/mail users. There is always something.

Thanks for pointing this out by the way. I have no inclination to ever upgrade to Yosemite. If they fixed Mail I may - may! - have considered it. With this however I suspect Apple has given up on fixing functionality and instead will continue to snow people with more colorful eye-candy (90% of it completely useless)

Emperors new clothes.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I'll be diving into Beta 1 in a few days, waiting to see what others say and I'm bookmarking this thread - but I'm a bit confused by some of the comments here. I do use Office 365 and have an Exchange Server (2013) running, and I moved my company away from Google Apps recently since IMO I'm tired of the constantly-changing synching protocols.

About "push", MS moved away from push to streaming notifications in Server 2010 - EAS isn't real "push" either. I've configured Apple Mail/Calendar/Contacts for OS 10.9 and each works well (and I'm not even an IT rep) - notifications show up on our desktop and mobile devices within a few seconds of each other, and I'm looking forward to testing 10.10.

I'm a bit puzzled by the comments about Google's services relative to Exchange. Google doesn't use Exchange - rather it's "Google Apps Sync" for desktops and their own sync service for mobile devices (they use/used their own modified version of EAS for mobile and never published their protocols). That they changed their sync services several times since 2010 led me to pull the plug on Google and look elsewhere. Given that MS charges per CAL, I expect to pay for their notification services as it's performed better than any XMPP-based notification client I've tried.

As for comments about Server 2013 and Office 365, the notification subscriptions, mailbox events, and EWS in Exchange are different than other versions of Exchange. I'm cutting Apple some slack in this regard - OS X 10.10 is a beta. I've configured my email clients for the EWS requirements, and I have no problems whatsoever with Apple's clients or Office 2011/2013. I hope that Apple gets their future betas working well...

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
I'm a bit puzzled by the comments about Google's services relative to Exchange. Google doesn't use Exchange...

They used to. Until last year, when setting up mail on an iPhone you could use Exchange ActiveSync and connect to mail.google.com as your server and you would get your Gmail with push notifications in the native mail client. Google stopped offering this last year though.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA

Exchange allows for the enforcement of security standards on devices that configure exchange accounts. At my workplace, configuring the Exchange account on an iPhone enforces passcode protection, automatic wipe after 7 failed attempts, and allows remote wiping by Exchange Admins.

All of those can be configured via Profile Manager in OS X server (which is getting much much better), but I am unaware of a IMAP/CalDAV/Profile Manager turnkey solution aside from OS X server, which is simply incapable of handing enterprise-level throughput.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I'll be diving into Beta 1 in a few days

Beta 1 has not been released yet. Apple is likely to release additional Developer Previews before releasing a beta version. The Developer Preview is a pre beta more like an alpha release.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
IMO Google probably has the best, most complete offering as of this moment that I'm aware of.

My company recently completed a migration of a decent number of users from Google to Exchange following an acquisition. It was not pretty.

In the end, it came down to dollars and cents over experience, capability, and usability.

Google are not an option if you like keeping your data in-house and under your control and for many business types cloud providers are a no go.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
They used to. Until last year, when setting up mail on an iPhone you could use Exchange ActiveSync and connect to mail.google.com as your server and you would get your Gmail with push notifications in the native mail client. Google stopped offering this last year though.

No offense intended, but Google did not offer true "Exchange" or "EAS". Google licensed EAS and deployed its own implementation/version of EAS, which they published. I have my free accounts and also paid for and used Google Apps for Business for 4 years and used my own Exchange Server (2007) - it was easy to compare both services sets, and they were different. I liked Google Apps but - as I indicated earlier, I tired of the "moving target" as they changed their IMAPI and calendaring protocols - and their contact format was/is a kludgefsck. Export a Google Apps contact in CSV format, and do the same from an Exchange contact - then import them into Numbers or Excel. I did. Then you'll see for yourself.

Google called it Exchange. Google didn't and doesn't use EAS for mobile and they never did for the desktop.

----------

Beta 1 has not been released yet. Apple is likely to release additional Developer Previews before releasing a beta version. The Developer Preview is a pre beta more like an alpha release.

What. Ever.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Exchange needs to die. For all the whining that IT guys like to do about Apple and their proprietary systems, Exchange is by far the worst. They follow no standards and are using crufty, old technologies that have long since been outdated.

There is zero reason for Apple to waste development time trying to cobble together any more than they already have working for Exchange. Even if they wanted to, Microsoft is not going to open up the books and put their Office365 product out of business. What some perceive to be Apple failing to support Exchange is equally MS refusing to allow it for the sake of selling software, Surfaces, and PCs. Even Outlook is neutered on the Mac.

Instead, Apple is focusing on building features that enterprises will like without dependencies on things like Exchange, which is exactly what they should be doing.

While I (mostly) agree, there aren't really any other suitable options.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Keeping this thread in mind, I opened up the DP1 :rolleyes: and created a new user, then attempted to get two of my Office 365 accounts and my Exchange Server (2013) talking to Mail/Calendar/Contacts.

Each account was imported without issue and I was able to sync email/calendar events/contacts without issue. I set the refresh period to 1 minute in Calendar, and events synched both ways without issue including from the Outlook Web App from one of my accounts (using Safari 8). My GAL worked perfectly and so did Calendar's Availability Panel.

The only minor hassle I encountered was having to enter in the entire username of an account, as System Preferences truncated the "@domain" from each username. I'm satisfied. Good luck to each of you.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Google are not an option if you like keeping your data in-house and under your control and for many business types cloud providers are a no go.

This would be the issue.

Either for complaince needs, business need or flat out paranoia exchange gives local access and control. I know for my environment exactly where all mail is. its either on the attached mail storage or on the back up tapes I take to offsite storage as needed. Also have the journaling server, and I control mail flow via CAS and edge server setups.

At google....I don't know a thing. Where and who has access to my mail stores. Who has access to tape backup and where is that at (iron mountain, in a dark basesment behind the door of a disused lavatory with a sign outside the door saying beware of the leopard, etc).

Well that and depending on enterprise microsoft ties alot of stuff together. Sharepoint and exchange can mesh well for example.

Well that and not many choices for this out of the cloud. think exchange sucks....try lotus notes/domino. We were domino years ago before the exchange. Not an exchange lover, but much better than the flaming pile of stuff lotus notes/domino is/was.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Does that mean that you will be waiting for the first Public Beta, your reply was unclear in the mater.

FWIW the Developer Preview(s) are only available to registered OSX Developers that paid the $99 year fee.
To be clear. It is also available to iOS Developers, maybe for the first time without also being a OS X Developer. I assume it so you can test iOS with OS X. Hugh integration with this release.

Normally you would need to pay $99 x 2 to get both.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
To be clear. It is also available to iOS Developers, maybe for the first time without also being a OS X Developer. I assume it so you can test iOS with OS X. Hugh integration with this release.

Normally you would need to pay $99 x 2 to get both.

Wow, I was not aware of that. That is cool and makes sense. Really with the way Apple is integrating OSX and iOS they should combine the programs for $99 per year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.