Still no sleeping track (AW2)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lauramayer, Sep 12, 2016.

1. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

It was one of the features I anticipated the most alongside advanced fitness and bio-metric data collection on the new AW 2.

Most probably there will be at some time one via a 3rd party app but my expectations were so high when I heard about iOS 10 and iWatch OS3.

There always will be a next watch and iOS xx...but I'm let down they didn't lean more into fitness/activity stuff.

2. blinkered macrumors newbie

Haven't used it on an Apple Watch yet, but there is a watchOS app called Pillow worth trying.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There was someone on s thread here who stated he uses his current AW for sleep tracking. We got into a bit of a back and forth regarding how practical that is (for the average user) with the battery life the Watch gets. I still think that's a major limiting factor but he obviously didn't think so. Fwiw there are apps out there that will do this for you. Be prepared to charge your phone when you wake up, and possibly at other point(s) throughout the day.

4. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I would think it could help track your sleep through the microphone while your watch is charging bed side. A camera on the watch would have helped to track movement while you sleep, but they could get a little something through the microphone

5. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

There are some 3rd party apps. I was thinking that Apple was going to launch this as well given the new Bedtime feature in iOS 10 seems half baked. It's like they were planning to implement it into the watch for the best experience but ran out of time.

That and the fact that the watch won't last all day/night is probably another issue.

6. blwade macrumors 6502

This sounds creepy...

This is something I'm interested in with the watch... I've seen people mention wearing it overnight and plugging it in in the morning while getting ready for the day. I might get one and try it out.. Maybe one day, Apple will build something in natively. I just need to decide what watch to get...

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Once NIKE series 2 arrives I will have 2 watch so sleep tracking wouldn't be an issue then. (and it's not an issue now anyway provide I don't forget charging it when I'm in a shower)

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

For those without multiple watches that want to track sleep I'd personally just recommend the least expensive Fitbit. But to each their own. I would forge which Watch to wear when and it would just be more hassle than it's worth.

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It will be easy for me. SS for main use and NIKE for running and sleep tracking.

10. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I'm surprised they didn't add sleep tracking too. However I've found that the only thing that really matters for me to track is the length of my sleep, as for me that's what I want to improve.

I've found many ways to to do with, even automatically, that I can live without this feature. For example, the app Lark automatically tracks your sleep via your phone accelerometer, you don't need to do anything. It will add this data to Health. A more manual way is to use the various Sleep Alarm apps on the app store. Apple even have their own version of this in iOS 10.

Again if you want to track it manually there are also many third party watch apps for this.

I still want automatic sleep tracking in the Apple Watch ala Fitbit, but I can wait.

11. terminator-jq macrumors regular

I was surprised this wasn't added as well. Apple has positioned the Apple Watch as a fitness / health accessory (especially by including the Apple Watch into their Nike partnership) and of course, getting a good night sleep plays a fairly big part in both health and fitness. As others have mentioned, there are some 3rd party sleep trackers but it would be nice to see an official one from Apple.

I'm thinking, the thing holding them back is battery life. Currently, depending on use, the Apple Watch has just enough battery to get you through your day before it needs to hit the charger. In order to do proper sleep tracking, the Apple Watch would need to make use of its heart rate sensor and motion sensor to track your quality of sleep.

Once Apple reaches a point where the Apple Watch can last for at least 72 hours of regular use between charges (through better hardware or through optimizing Watch OS), I think we will see them embrace sleep tracking. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Apple uses the new dual core processor in the series 1 and series 2 and how they will take advantage of it in Watch OS4.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

There are apps for it.

It also doesn't take long to charge the watch. You don't need to leave it on the charger overnight. Pick another piece of the day when you're just sitting around and charge it then.

13. ekuLoN macrumors newbie

ekuLoN

A country where a schizophrenic has ruled
    Yes, still no sleeping track... Because watch is so cheap.

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Why do you need sleep tracking anyway? Who actually wants to sleep with a watch on their wrist at night. If it's the times you are sleeping you wish to monitor, use the Bedtime feature in the Clock app on your phone. Isn't the length of time one sleeps the only thing you need to know? Personally, as a good sleeper - any other info is pointless and useless.

15. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

I've been using sleep pulse 2 for well over 8 months now..

16. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Sleep tracking is a table stakes feature on (almost) all activity tracking devices. The AW is one of the few (and probably only activity tracking device over $150) that does not do sleep tracking. Many people value it. It is a legit ask, and a frustration to many that Apple is not attempting to design for this.

17. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Is sleep tracking one of those "because we can" things, or is it "because we should"?

(nobody told app developers that the watch can't track sleep, apparently; I've got such an app on mine right now)

18. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Who knows. People love it. I love it. It is a great data point to compliment my training and other life distractions. Heck, the AW itself is a "because we can" product.

I know there are 3rd party apps out there. But, I am waiting for Apple to arrive with an integrated platform. I am sick of mediocre, disjointed 3rd party apps that junk up my devices. In my view, this is a core function (analogous to the the phone app, mail app, contact app, browser app, etc. on the iPhone) and it should be delivered with excellence and integrated into the overall activity tracking platform. I currently use Garmin, Apple, and Fitbit for a blend of activity tracking. Apple is the worst, by far, of the three. However, I also want to simplify my environment to just two platforms. Garmin is in forever, because that is my fitness device platform. If Apple can get the watch to a holistic activity tracking platform that includes sleep and HR tracking, I will definitely drop Fitbit. Until then, I will likely buy either a Garmin tracker or a FB tracker to wear along with my AW. I am holding out to see if Garmin updates the vivosmart HR, otherwise it will be the Charge 2.

Plus, the AW battery really does not conveniently support sleep tracking. It is do-able, but after using a long-lasting device for sleep tracking, the AW is not in play.

19. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

I did try Sleep++ (as a friend recommended it), just to try it out. I know there's lots of people using AW1 for sleep tracking. I think the most common way to make it work for you is to put the watch on the charger as soon as you wake up, go do your morning routine to get ready, then throw it back on your wrist before you leave for work.
    Using sleep tracking while you sleep uses very little battery.

I think the one thing that people were expecting to see with AW2 was an O2 sensor. I'm sure there's reasons that they weren't able to do this (possibly regulatory issues).

20. scottisloud macrumors newbie

scottisloud

21. AsherN macrumors 6502

It's "because we should", because you really can't. Apps like Sleep++ track the watch movement. If you lie awake, but still, it will think you are in a deep sleep.

22. BlueMoon63, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I want to second or third Pillow as the most reliable and it can be more accurate as it can use the iPhone to track sounds like snoring while the phone is charging.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016 ---
    I wear my watch every night and charge the watch when I shower and get ready (20 minutes) and from 8-9ishpm each night. It's easy to wear the watch each night with it starting at 100%.

You typically wake with 87-92% left on the battery. I then workout for an hour and put on the charger while showering and getting ready for work. It goes on the charger with about 78% battery and by the time I take off 20 minutes later it is at 92-95%. At 8 or 9pm I put back on the charger while I get ready for bed and read. It's usually at 40-45% and takes about an hour to charge back to 100%. Then it is back on my wrist for silent alarm and sleep tracking with pillow for movement and the phone for sound.

Hated sleep ++ as it was weak for content and didn't explain much. It also was way off.

23. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

yea typically draining to 85-88% for sleep tracking which is not bad. If you aren't working out that day the watch will last all day easily. Also take it off and put it on the charger for 10 minutes when you get up. Its not complicated

24. ekuLoN macrumors newbie

ekuLoN

A country where a schizophrenic has ruled
    No, you don't understand me. It was a joke.

25. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

You mean you really want something to record both audio and video of your sleeping and everything else, or not, in the bed room?