Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levels

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
I have to say- it’s really beyond disappointing that we are 2.5 months post release of the iPhone X and there are several major companies, along with smaller companies where there is many more, that refuse to update their apps to be properly optimized for the iPhone X. I figured maybe 2-3 weeks max and most companies would easily have this updated- but at this point it’s really ruining the user experience by wasting huge chunks of the iPhone X screen when using certain apps. I know Apple is not solely to blame here- but if I would have known we would be 3 months into the release and so many apps would
Still not be optimized correctly- I would have passed for an iPhone 8 Plus. Just very disappointing.

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Chase is a good example. One of the largest banks- they can’t update??

Are you kidding?

Banks go through months of testing for every little change lest they find that a security flaw was introduced in the process.

I, for one, value the security of my money over fast app updates. Don't look for any apps that deal with money to move quickly on these kind of changes.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I've got a handful of apps that aren't optimized as well. The most aggravating are the Apple ones like AirPort Utility, iTunes Remote and Beats Pill+ that still exist on the store but seem forgotten. Another one that comes to mind is U.S. Bank which oddly has been updated with Face ID support, but still has the black bars on the top and bottom.

levels

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Are you kidding?

Banks go through months of testing for every little change lest they find that a security flaw was introduced in the process.

I, for one, value the security of my money over fast app updates. Don't look for any apps that deal with money to move quickly on these kind of changes.
Lol... ok, I’m “kidding” I guess. I guess let’s defend Chase cause they are scrutinizing security I guess when 90% it other major companies can get this done in a timely manner. I guess other banks just don’t care it must be.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I’ve had my X for 4 weeks. I have the Chase app. Never noticed the app wasn’t optimized for the X. Read it here. I guess I’m too focused on the actual information I’m looking at to worry whether or not the app fills in all the corners of the display.

Reactions: Skika

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Phew, none of the Apps mentioned mean much to me.

I'm sure others will though, once I get the X that is...'Shop Shop' for eg. My Daily shopping list App...Notorious for taking it's time to update.

I’ve had my X for 4 weeks. I have the Chase app. Never noticed the app wasn’t optimized for the X. Read it here. I guess I’m too focused on the actual information I’m looking at to worry whether or not the app fills in all the corners of the display.
Well, you did buy the X to make use of the larger screen right? :D

Reactions: tooloud10

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Another post talking about this... critical apps are not developed for such cosmetic updates. In terms of priority, such things are way down the list for any company where the app is not influencing their main business.

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2011
What are these "major" apps? Specific names please.

Apple's very own iMovie app for iOS has not been updated for the iPhone X display. It's very annoying. If you have an X, check it out. Kinda embarrassing, considering all the Google apps I use have been updated for the X.

For non-Apple apps that I use, Amazon Alexa app, Sony PlayStation app, Golf Zero (popular game) haven't been updated.

It's funny, because Apple literally sent an email out to app developers, saying hey, remember to update your apps for iOS! Which I've already done for my 5 apps.

Last edited:

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I have a question, besides visually updating for the iPhone X, is there any other differences that are needed to update the app to the iPhone X? If thats the case, it seems app developers are updating quicker than during the last two major screen changes I can remember, iPhone 4(S) -> iPhone 5 and the 5 -> 6.

Also, there were also plenty of app developers that dragged their feet or didn't even bother going from 32bit to 64bit. I remember just when iOS 11 came out, so many people were livid of all their apps that stopped working because of the 64bit requirement of iOS 11. That took 4 years from the first 64bit device.

Knowing all this, how is 2.5 months such a huge chunk of time comparatively?

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I have a question, besides visually updating for the iPhone X, is there any other differences that are needed to update the app to the iPhone X? If thats the case, it seems app developers are updating quicker than during the last two major screen changes I can remember, iPhone 4(S) -> iPhone 5 and the 5 -> 6.

Also, there were also plenty of app developers that dragged their feet or didn't even bother going from 32bit to 64bit. I remember just when iOS 11 came out, so many people were livid of all their apps that stopped working because of the 64bit requirement of iOS 11. That took 4 years from the first 64bit device.

Knowing all this, how is 2.5 months such a huge chunk of time comparatively?

Basically they just stretched the screen on the X so transition-wise developers can churn out X-optimized apps in a shorter amount of time.

With 6 and 6 Plus, they were forced to re-evaluate the app's design elements as well as conform to the new resolution. Basically, developers needed to create new in-app artworks for the 6 and 6 Plus while it's not much of a hindrance for the X. Resolution-wise, devs can use the Plus' app elements to display on the X.

For app devs:
1. Stretch - display more data at the bottom.
2. Make sure the border on the Notch area is covered (many apps fail the execution of this)
3. Take advantage of the tech, Dark mode for OLED and FaceID for AR/Virtual shopping.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Get better apps. The ones I use most are all optimized for the X. I guess you can't switch banks as easily, but how much time do you really spend using the Chase banking app?

Last edited:

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Are you kidding?

My building society (Nationwide) had no issues updating before the X came out, my credit card account run by a supermarket (Tesco) also had no problems updating before the X came out.

Yet a massive company like Barclaycard still doesn’t support the X screen resolution, Touch ID or Face ID.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
My building society (Nationwide) had no issues updating before the X came out, my credit card account run by a supermarket (Tesco) also had no problems updating before the X came out.

Yet a massive company like Barclaycard still doesn’t support the X screen resolution, Touch ID or Face ID.

I don’t know specifically about Barclaycard but the Barclays banking app is way more complicated than nationwide or Tesco.

Not every app is developed the same way and there are loads of technical issues that come across when it comes to making changes. Some may be able to do it quicker because of the way things have been built some others might have problems. It’s not a straightforward- just because another bank is able to do something, my bank can do it - idea.

Last edited:

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2015
The few I’m missing X support for are

Tom Tom Go - messaged a few times & all I get is “ We’re working on it “

Sky Q (UK) - Hey this is a Sky app here , just know will be waiting an age. Prob when ios12 arrives.

Friendly for Facebook - last release notes mentioned coming in version 7, so hopefully not too long now.

Once these 3 are updated I’ll have a full set.

Cheers.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I used the Barclaycard app on an X with no troubles (what I'd call "fake" FaceID signing in, IIRC) and I am using it again on my 7 with TouchID and zero problems. I can't say whether it supported the X screen resolution, but it definitely works with both TouchID and FaceID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.