Still no updated Remote App, iDisk App.....

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Macwick, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Macwick macrumors regular

I wasn't surprised that Apple launched the iPad without updating some of their own apps, specifically Remote (for controlling AirTunes, Apple TV), iDisk, and MobileMe Gallery. They often put all their energy/resources into the release of the product and then update software later.

But it's been two months since the iPad was released and still no sign of updated apps from Apple. Just a little surprising - especially with Remote, which would be such a killer app on the iPad.

Why are the third party app developers turning around iPad-friendly versions of their apps so much quicker than Apple is?

Anyone else surprised it's taking them this long?

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

3. eyephone macrumors member

I am pretty upset that apple can't find the time to update their own few apps, especially being that I pay for mobile me and would love to take advantage of the service to it's full potential on the iPad.

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Really hoping we'd see Remote by now.

Add to the list the clock app (with background alarms), stocks, voice recorder, weather, compass...all these could be awesome on the ipad.

I wonder if they're done giving away free non-essential apps (although background alarms are pretty essential), being that Pages is such a hot seller, and are planning to sell us these previously free apps.

5. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I'd love to see the remote app to be updated to be able to use the onscreen keyboard for data entry rather than having to use my Apple TV remote to search youtube (which is painful at times)

I would also like a native background alarms app. It would be useful everynow and again to be able to set an alarm for say an eBay auction.

There are some free voice recorder apps in the App store and some vastly superior weather apps there too, which blow the Apple's apps out of the water.

Its swings and roundabouts though, some things are great others not so. I don't think you're gonna please all of the people all of the time

pac

6. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Re alarms, perhaps they figured you can use calendar for those kinds of notifications? I realize it's not quite the same.

7. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I am with you, would love to see mobile me and remote app.

8. jonnyb macrumors 65816

You do know you can use your iPhone's keyboard to do exactly that with the existing version of Remote, don't you?

9. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I didn't , thanks for the info :D

pac

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yes, it is disappointing. I did find out though that the GoodReader does a very good job accessing my MobileMe files. The only thing is that I have to download the files I want to use to my iPad. GoodReader does a great job with that and with the PDF's I need to have them locally in order to do edits, so this solution is fine for this. But some files I just want to look at and I don't need to download them, which I have to with GoodReader. It is easy then to delete them, but still, it introduces extra couple of steps into the process. I don't understand why it is taking Apple this long to support their service on their device....

11. Lord Egregious macrumors member

I never realized how lazy I was till I switched from my iphone 2g to an android phone (AT&T stopped working in my area) and lost my remote for itunes. I love to be playing a game and just turning on some jams or podcasts. So I was pumped to get my ipad and have remote back but couldn't believe they hadn't updated Remote. It still works for my needs but still lame that they haven't updated their own app.

12. superflush macrumors 6502a

Have you tried TunesRemote?

It is kind of ridiculous that they haven't made native versions of these apps (or rather, made them universal apps). I knew about Remote, but I didn't realize about iDisk of MobileMe Gallery. Those new apps would probably be great if they built them specifically for iPad. And it is pretty crazy that they haven't yet, especially if you guys are paying for MobileMe.

I think we expected them not doing these. I got Night Stand, PCalc, Accuweather. I don't have a 3GS, so I'm not super-familiar with Voice Control, but that is something else that is missing that I think could be pretty useful.

13. furqan8421 macrumors member

Although the apps haven't been updated, in Galleries if you zoom to 2x the pictures still look fantastic. I think this is true of iDisk also for certain things.

14. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I've always thought that for some reason Apple is waiting for the next iPhone release with iOS4 being available first before they push out an update to iDisk. Same goes for the Remote App on the iPhone. I also expect to see another update to that also but not till we see or hear more from iOS4 and what if anything will change with ATV.