Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I am surprised that I still cant find a simple Thunderbolt to usb 3 adapter online! I know apple don't make one, yet they make a firewire and ethernet adapter.

Does anyone know if any third party adapters exist?

I know that some docking station hubs have been released but I only need one port and don't want to pay a few hundred dollars to add USB 3 to my 2011 Mac Mini.

TA

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I do not think Apple will ever make one like they have with FireWire and Ethernet because you are forced to upgrade to a new Mac to get USB 3.0 (like I have been). In other words, if they make an adapter then we will have less reason to say update from a 2011 mac mini to 2012 etc.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I am surprised that I still cant find a simple Thunderbolt to usb 3 adapter online! I know apple don't make one, yet they make a firewire and ethernet adapter.

Apple needed relatively cheap Firewire and Ethernet adapters to cushion the effect of dropping FW and Ethernet from the Retina MacBook Pros.

If you look at this article you'll see that they've done something clever - interfacing a PCIe ethernet controller directly to the Thunderbolt socket without using the (expensive) Intel thunderbolt controller chip. It doesn't seem that third parties have caught on to that wheeze yet.

However, there's clearly no way of daisy-chaining another TB peripheral or display adapter from this type of 'cut price' TB adapter. The Ethernet and FW adapters are mainly for the benefit of rMBP users, who have 2xThunderbolt + HDMI so that's not such a big deal.

The only real market for a 'simple Thunderbolt-to-USB3 adapter' is for users of 2011 models with no USB3. That's a limited market to start with - now subtract all the Macbook Pro users who don't want to sacrifice their only external monitor connection, and all the Mac Mini and 22" iMac owners who don't want to lose their second display output, and you're pretty much left with 27" iMac users and Thunderbolt Display owners. Quite a small market, really, and in electronics small market = high price.

If you don't want to lose your only display output, then you want a full-blown TB device with a proper TB controller, a TB-through socket and the internal gubbins to make the TB-out usable with DisplayPort. Plus a TB cable. By the time you paid for that overhead, throwing in a couple of extra ports to make something like the forthcoming Caldigit dock makes sense.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Apple needed relatively cheap Firewire and Ethernet adapters to cushion the effect of dropping FW and Ethernet from the Retina MacBook Pros.

If you look at this article you'll see that they've done something clever - interfacing a PCIe ethernet controller directly to the Thunderbolt socket without using the (expensive) Intel thunderbolt controller chip. It doesn't seem that third parties have caught on to that wheeze yet.

However, there's clearly no way of daisy-chaining another TB peripheral or display adapter from this type of 'cut price' TB adapter. The Ethernet and FW adapters are mainly for the benefit of rMBP users, who have 2xThunderbolt + HDMI so that's not such a big deal.

The only real market for a 'simple Thunderbolt-to-USB3 adapter' is for users of 2011 models with no USB3. That's a limited market to start with - now subtract all the Macbook Pro users who don't want to sacrifice their only external monitor connection, and all the Mac Mini and 22" iMac owners who don't want to lose their second display output, and you're pretty much left with 27" iMac users and Thunderbolt Display owners. Quite a small market, really, and in electronics small market = high price.

If you don't want to lose your only display output, then you want a full-blown TB device with a proper TB controller, a TB-through socket and the internal gubbins to make the TB-out usable with DisplayPort. Plus a TB cable. By the time you paid for that overhead, throwing in a couple of extra ports to make something like the forthcoming Caldigit dock makes sense.

I wasn't aware of the caldigit dock, looks great! Hopefully it's not far off.

My need for USB 3 is quite petty really but it annoys me when giving movies to friends and only having USB 2 speeds.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I wasn't aware of the caldigit dock, looks great! Hopefully it's not far off.

My need for USB 3 is quite petty really but it annoys me when giving movies to friends and only having USB 2 speeds.

Caldigit is not out but a few similar hubs are if you are that interested. I hope you have a big wallet though :)

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Matrox/DS1HDMI/

http://www.belkin.com/us/F4U055-Belkin/p/P-F4U055

BUT seriously, you can buy and entry level mac mini for a few more dollars...

This hub looks the best. I wonder if it will ever be released. And at what price ???

http://www.sunix.com.tw/cc/en/e-DM/2012_COMPUTEX-banner/sunix_thunderbolt_dock .html

Last edited:

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Caldigit is not out but a few similar hubs are if you are that interested. I hope you have a big wallet though :)

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Matrox/DS1HDMI/

http://www.belkin.com/us/F4U055-Belkin/p/P-F4U055

BUT seriously, you can buy and entry level mac mini for a few more dollars...

This hub looks the best. I wonder if it will ever be released. And at what price ???

http://www.sunix.com.tw/cc/en/e-DM/2012_COMPUTEX-banner/sunix_thunderbolt_dock .html

this is probably a good indicator

https://secure1.sonnettech.com/index.php?cPath=139_169&osCsid=bee5259958cf0694ce7dc7f55a1c4649

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

Unfortunately, the Sunix link points to a Computex 2012 press release. If you look on their main site, there's no sign of this dock, but they're now showing something more like the Caldigit offering

The fact that Sonnet are actually taking pre-orders inspires a bit more confidence that their dock will surface in the not-to-distant future.

Pity - I like the sound of the hot-swap bay, SPDIF and BD-R offered by the Sunex. Seems odd not to include SPDIF on the Sonnet when one of their claims is Blu-ray playback, and SPDIF could let you output surround sound.

OTOH, Sonnet has eSATA and Firewire.

Ho hum.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia

Brilliant thanks! I have been waiting for this for ages! I emailed Kanex about 6 months ago and they said they were developing one, finally it's not far off! :)

----------

This simple usb 3.0 adapter is on its way!

img_tbolt_usb3_ethernet.jpg

Hopefully it is full 5Gbps and not 2.5Gbps like the overpriced belkin hub.

Thanks to Genea for finding this!

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Just what I needed. So anyone know when the kanex will be released? And how much?

Last edited:

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Kanex is a funny company.
This adapter features a USB 3.0 port for older generation MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini that have a Thunderbolt port but no USB 3.0 ports.

Then they go ahead and let you vote between "USB 3.0 plus eSATA to Thunderbolt" and "USB 3.0 plus Gigabit Ethernet to Thunderbolt", to be used on Machines that already feature Gigabit Ethernet and have no use for 3GBit/s eSATA when USB 3.0 brings them 6GBit/s (or 5GBit/s) SATA.

How about "USB 3.0 to Thunderbolt" and knock some $10 off the product? "Dual USB 3.0 to Thunderbolt"?

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006

Then they go ahead and let you vote between "USB 3.0 plus eSATA to Thunderbolt" and "USB 3.0 plus Gigabit Ethernet to Thunderbolt", to be used on Machines that already feature Gigabit Ethernet and have no use for 3GBit/s eSATA when USB 3.0 brings them 6GBit/s (or 5GBit/s) SATA.

How about "USB 3.0 to Thunderbolt" and knock some $10 off the product? "Dual USB 3.0 to Thunderbolt"?

My mid 2011 mac mini is not gigabit ethernet is it? If not then it might be useful.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

2011 Macbook Airs have 1xThunderbolt, no USB3 and no Ethernet - a TB to USB3 + Ethernet adapter would be useful on those.

I have an external HD that offers eSATA, FW800 or USB2 and isn't ready for the junk heap just yet - eSATA would be the fastest way to connect that.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

1st off, the only devices that don't have 3.0, but Thunderbolt are the 2011's. That limits the usefulness of this to begin with. So in order to make it as useful as possible, they have clearly targetted at the Macbook Air devices as well. I had a 2011 Macbook Air. If you have a device that already has Ethernet and Thunderbolt, don't use the Ethernet. Sure it MIGHT be cheaper by $10 without it, but then it would really limit the usefulness.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
1st off, the only devices that don't have 3.0, but Thunderbolt are the 2011's. That limits the usefulness of this to begin with. So in order to make it as useful as possible, they have clearly targetted at the Macbook Air devices as well. I had a 2011 Macbook Air. If you have a device that already has Ethernet and Thunderbolt, don't use the Ethernet. Sure it MIGHT be cheaper by $10 without it, but then it would really limit the usefulness.

It may be useful on a 2011 MBA, it may also be useful on everything else if you have a NAS that supports link aggregation, but for most MBP, Mac Mini and iMac users, it takes up space that would be better used up by a second USB 3.0 port, with its own channel to have the full 5GBit/s on both ports and not via an internal hub.

Also, this:
81B4mrR02YL._SL1500_.jpg
81OVnB8DgBL._SL1500_.jpg

Startech has an USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter with a pass-through port that works on Macs. Heck, Kanex themselves have such an adapter for $25 (sans the pass-through).

Want eSATA? Here, works on a Mac and even supports eSATA multiplexing for multi bay enclosures over a single cable:
41MggSgBg4L.jpg

A version with an Ethernet port is great and they should make one, but it shouldn't be the main product. Dual-USB 3.0 ports make it most useful for most everyone regardless of the Mac model.

Last edited:

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
It may be useful on a 2011 MBA, it may also be useful on everything else if you have a NAS that supports link aggregation, but for most MBP, Mac Mini and iMac users, it takes up space that would be better used up by a second USB 3.0 port, with its own channel to have the full 5GBit/s on both ports and not via an internal hub.

Also, this:
81B4mrR02YL._SL1500_.jpg
81OVnB8DgBL._SL1500_.jpg

Startech has an USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter with a pass-through port that works on Macs. Heck, Kanex themselves have such an adapter for $25 (sans the pass-through).

Want eSATA? Here, works on a Mac and even supports eSATA multiplexing for multi bay enclosures over a single cable:
41MggSgBg4L.jpg

A version with an Ethernet port is great and they should make one, but it shouldn't be the main product. Dual-USB 3.0 ports make it most useful for most everyone regardless of the Mac model.

Nice.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Also, this:
81B4mrR02YL._SL1500_.jpg
81OVnB8DgBL._SL1500_.jpg

41MggSgBg4L.jpg

First off, the USB to gb Ethernet adapter means you are giving up 20% of your USB 3.0 bandwidth. I iwould rather have an Ethernet adapter that is connected to Thunderbolt/PCIE directlly and leave the entire USB 3.0 bandwidth alone. Although I will grant you, until we see how Kanex adds the Ethernet port, it may or may not be better. They very well could just be using a glorified USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter and more or less just be "hanging" the Ethernet off of the USB 3.0 internally.

Secondly, if you have ever used the DatOptic USB to eSATA you will find that it does not handle constant writes well at all. I do a lot of recording of video and audio and it can not handle being constantly written to. It is great if all you want is to use it for file storage where it momentary stops in writing or reading isn't a big deal, but if you are trying to write to your RAID array from a buffer (as I do) it fails miserably. I ended up with so many corrupt recordings with all kinds of scrambled video that I basically put both of my adapters in a drawer and have never gone back to them. I might pull one out eventually and use it for less critical uses, but as a direct replacement to eSATA it certainly is not. How it gets such high ratings on Amazon is beyond me (although if you actually read the reviews, most are just using it for simple DAS solutions and not heavy read/write scenarios). I have actually started replacing my eSATA 4Bay enclosures with USB 3.0 4Bay enclosures since so far there isn't a single Thunderbolt to eSATA device that can do Port Multiplier. I have been waiting for SonnetTech to release the Echo15 which supposedly has 2 eSATA ports with Port Multiplier, but as per most of Sonnet's stuff it is pretty much vaporware and/or waaayyyy past due (it was supposed to be released by "Summer 2013" and we are now well over a month into Fall).

Again, neither of those USB to X solutions are the best.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
First off, the USB to gb Ethernet adapter means you are giving up 20% of your USB 3.0 bandwidth. I iwould rather have an Ethernet adapter that is connected to Thunderbolt/PCIE directlly and leave the entire USB 3.0 bandwidth alone. Although I will grant you, until we see how Kanex adds the Ethernet port, it may or may not be better. They very well could just be using a glorified USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter and more or less just be "hanging" the Ethernet off of the USB 3.0 internally.

Exactly, my whole point in wanting a TB to USB is so I do not use bandwidth. Anything else (USB+esata? usb+firewire?) is a plus, but a USB not on the main bus is what I need. I do not want to take bandwidth from my SSD just because USB decided to allocate a bunch of bandwidth to a backup drive.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Nothing yet. I honestly question whether or not it will actually happen. I understand that r&d needs to be thorough however their market is only shrinking as 2011 mac users are either upgrading or finding other solutions.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Well I'm not upgrading any time soon. I sent kanex an email. Will let you know what they said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.