Still no way to clear orphaned iMessage attachments in iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Schtibbie, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Was hoping this was fixed. And their changelog on the apple security updates website even listed a "fix" regarding deleted iMessage attachments, but it didn't clear this issue: I've had around 15megs of saved data in Settings/Usage/iMessage since the days when that bug in a previous version of iOS left photo attachments around after iMessage threads deleted. With iOS 8, they added a nice feature in Settings/iMessage to autodelete threads and attachments older than 30 days. Nice, right? But I selected that and I STILL have 15 megs of old unfindable stuff.

YES, I rebooted. YES, i removed all existing threads in iMessage, etc, etc.. No, I don't think I should have to install a 3rd party backup editor to restore.

2. RyanG macrumors 6502

3. Jayson A macrumors 68000

Restore your iPhone and don't restore from a backup.

4. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

I seriously have to reinstall everything just to clear my iMessages cache?? Would it be so hard for them to fix this?

5. cynics macrumors G4

7-13 mb lingers on iOS on a couple different devices I have that aren't part of that attachment bug.

Keep in mind there is other data cached aside from attachments namely previous contact data.

I'd suggest using an external program to first determine what that 15 mb is. And if you determine that it is attachment data then at that point you might as well use that program to delete those attachments and then restore your phone to that.

I have 1.4gb of attachment data. Frankly I wouldn't worry about 15 mb.

6. deviant macrumors 65816

go to iMessages, select the person, click detail (right top corner) see attachments, click and hold on a photo, select other, select every photo and delete it.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Still no way to clear orphaned iMessage attachments in iOS 8

The attachments are lost in the void with that bug. You can have a completely cleared message app with no messages and it's still retaining attachments.

8. flashflooder macrumors regular

I agree. I have like 1.2 GB that I can't clear, it's extremely annoying.

9. mantan macrumors 68000

i'm still amazed at how this bug was swept under the rug and forgotten by many years later. The fact that sloppy program rendered 10%-30% of some users devices unusable got a collective shrug and was never fixed floors me.

If this had been Android or a Windows phone bug, Apple fans would get on their high 'Apple stuff just works' horse....

10. deviant macrumors 65816

i'm sorry then.. i just don't have a lot of attachments so i haven't noticed..