Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Surely this isn't the case?

Every morning my little brothers iPad will have text to speech, inverted colours, and a whole host of other accessibility options pressed that take a good ten mins to sort out.

All of which could be solved by being able to hide the settings app.

Anyone have any tips?

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Set a pin/passphrase to your ipad, and make sure his fingerprint isn't one of the allowed fingers for touchid.
That way he can't use it without your permission. Plain and simple.

But no, there's not a restriction for accessibility or settings app.

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
If there were a setting in Settings to hide Settings, how would you unhide it again?

And why do you care what settings your brother is changing on his iPad?

Reactions: ohio.emt

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I'm guessing it's because it's accessible through triple clicking the home button. Try disabling that.
Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Accessibility shortcut (way at the bottom). Uncheck all of them.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
I'm guessing it's because it's accessible through triple clicking the home button. Try disabling that.
Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Accessibility shortcut (way at the bottom). Uncheck all of them.
Thank you for the useful answer.

It's a huge oversight by Apple.

The settings App is home to MANY MANY MANY customisable options - which he shouldn't be able to mess with - he should be playing his maths and science games. . . .and yet he's in messing around changing settings that an adult should be in control of.

Setting's app should be pin protected at the very least.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
sounds as if with his interests some day he will be a billionaire computer wizard and then you'll thank Apple for no hiding or protecting settings.
Knowing kids - if that were hidden he'd find some other method of doing something other than what he should be.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You want to use Guided Access:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202612

This will lock the iPad into a single app until someone with the password switches to another one.

It does sound like you want to give him access to multiple apps at once but, honesty, if he's not old enough to handle the settings app then I'd argue he's not old enough to be switching between random apps on his own and you should be staying in control of which app he's using at any given time.

The link above will tell you how to do it.

Reactions: I7guy and ohio.emt

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

The settings App is home to MANY MANY MANY customisable options - which he shouldn't be able to mess with - he should be playing his maths and science games. . . .and yet he's in messing around changing settings that an adult should be in control of.

Small White Car has the best solution you can hope for in this case. If the device is owned by a child or a person with a disability then you want to use the restrictions and accessibility settings. Young children shouldn't use these devices completely unattended anyway, especially if they really don't understand how they work.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

I don't think he intentionally went to the settings. Like I said, by default, those options to invert colors and enable voice over is easily accessible by triple clicking the home button, which anyone can accidentally do. After triple liking the home button, those options are simply a tap away. So before getting too upset, just disable that and see if the problem persists.

I do agree in a sense that by now, Apple should have some sort of "kid mode" for iOS (or a simple setting to have a specific home screen with just few apps you set beforehand). Guided access is not really a solution in this case.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Like I said, by default, those options to invert colors and enable voice over is easily accessible by triple clicking the home button, which anyone can accidentally do.

Are you sure? I don't think the accessibility shortcuts are enabled by default.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Are you sure? I don't think the accessibility shortcuts are enabled by default.
It was on my iPad. :shrug: In any case, it seems to be a likely culprit vs the kid going to the setting and navigate the menus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.