Still not 64-bit support for Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bassrocker521, Jun 6, 2009.

1. bassrocker521 macrumors newbie

I just bought a uMB in the middle of May, and am looking to buy XP for Boot Camp. As far as I understand there is still no support for 64-bit OS's via Boot Camp correct? I don't want to buy 64 and end up with a brand new drink coaster instead...

2. BeauGiles macrumors member

Unofficially, yes, the latest range of MacBooks support 64-bit Windows, however I'm not sure about XP Support; the drivers work just fine for Vista x64

3. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I'm running Vista 64-bit on my 2,4GHz unibody MacBook, and it runs very smoothly. Installing the drivers was easy as pie.

4. bassrocker521 thread starter macrumors newbie

SP2 vs. SP3?

So if I were to buy a 32-bit XP, would I need to get SP2 or SP3?

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

SP2 is the minimum required for a Boot Camp installation; SP3 will work just as well.

6. bassrocker521 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK cool, i was just making sure

Thank you so much for your help everyone!

7. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on my unibody 2.4gzh :) it runs smoothly though the trackpad would need getting used to...anyways instead of downloading the drivers, i just put my install disk in and instead of running the setup.exe right away, i instead search through the files for the vista64 driver installer or something, because the install disk can't install the 64-bit drivers from the setup.exe which is for 32-bit only, but either way I got 2.1 boot camp on windows 7 and everything is working fine :) for unibody macbooks the trackpad might appear slow at first so don't panic.

8. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

At this moment, I really see no point in still running Windows XP. Trust me, both Windows Vista (especially the 64-bit version) and supposedly Windows 7 (I have no experience with it, but from reading all the opinions, I get the impression it's even better than Vista) are much better than XP ever was. Better looking, more stable, more usable, more modern, more user-friendly.

Really, why bother putting XP on your MacBook? Sure, XP can be had for a lower price than Vista, but an upgrade to Windows 7 will be much cheaper from Vista.

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Because if you are ina situation where you want to boot your bootcamp partition inside of vmware or parallels you wont be running like a turtle.
    Both Vista and windows 7 take up more resources then XP. Who cares about pretty looks, it is all about performance.

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

XP takes way less space on my HD and runs my games just as good as Vista or even faster. Why bother with Vista?

11. Ashhong macrumors member

if he has to go 64bit, XP is a mess. 64bit Vista is much much better, and 7 even more so. now if 32bit XP is an option, just stick with that to make life simple, unless you want to be cool and showoff that you have 7.

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I have Boot Camp set up on my MacBook for one purpose - to run software that simply doesn't have a Mac equivalent. For me, this is mainly a few work-specific applications as well as some of these DICOM CDs with embedded viewer applications, which tend to have unpredictable results when run on Vista.

Since maximum compatibility is what I'm after, XP does the job nicely. Some of these work applications do not work under Vista or Windows 7 yet (I've tried). XP is light on disk space and is fast on modern hardware. And if you're going to play games - I could be wrong as I'm no Windows game expert - I'd think XP would give you the best performance.

If you're going to use Windows on your Mac for general purpose computing, then I agree that Vista or Win 7 would be better options. But I prefer to use the Mac for this kind of stuff - hence the reason we all own Macs - so XP for me is best for Boot Camp.

13. bassrocker521 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of your replies, I found a 32-bit version of XP so problems
    solved. The reason I need XP is I want to play the games that have been released for it since XP has come out.