Still not clear on where Apple Pay is accepted...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by HXGuyAZ, Oct 20, 2014.

1. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

Apple's website shows...

[​IMG]

It says "Look for this icon at checkout"...but then it lists a bunch of stores? There are stores with that icon (CVS in particular) that isn't on their list.

It would be really stupid if it only works at selected places, even though other places have the icon...how are you supposed to know what's on Apple's list and what's not?

2. iShorty macrumors regular

iShorty

That icon is the universal symbol for contactless cards. Considering Apple Pay is basically a contactless card (NFC) it should work anywhere you see that symbol without it listed on the Apple site.

I'm surprised the UK wasn't launched sooner for Apple Pay, considering we have a large amount of contactless terminals these days.

3. ethanwa79 macrumors regular

It works anywhere in the USA that accepts NFC. Just look for that wireless icon it shows there.

4. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like you guys are right...

"Besides Panera, is anyone going to accept Apple Pay?

First, a clarification. There is no “accepting Apple Pay.” You may have read an article or five suggesting that retailers don’t plan to support Apple Pay, implying there is some special thing they have to do to work with Apple. What a retailer needs is nothing more than a NFC-equipped point-of-sale terminal. Those aren’t everywhere yet. Apple says 220,000 merchants have them; First Data says that’s out of 8 million retail points of sale in the U.S. But if the NFC reader is “live” it supports Apple Pay, whether or not the retailer has a deal with Apple Pay."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrog...g-to-be-great-why-the-skeptics-have-it-wrong/

My phone is almost done updating...going to go by CVS and try it out since they have the icon on their terminals but are not on Apple's list.

5. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

I thought I read in other threads that the store has to accept it (just having an NFC isnt enough) AND the bank for your credit/debit card.

I'm confused.

Let us know what happens at CVS.

6. orangecrushv macrumors regular

orangecrushv

Other thread had success at CVS and even a random vending machine, so it seems any NFC reader works...

7. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Which other thread?

8. MichaelCD macrumors member

9. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

The store has to have the NFC terminal, and the BANK has to support Apple Pay. The bank issues your device a token thats just transmitted via any NFC connection. It works on my vending machine here at work just fine.

10. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I just used it at my work's generic NFC enabled vending machine, no problem.

11. Planey28 macrumors 6502

Top notch marketing from Apple, as usual :eek:

Bit weird that it hasn't launched in the UK yet, as iShorty said we have NFC terminals in most stores. Can even pay for London transport with NFC these days :cool:

12. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

It'll be like iTunes radio :p will never reach UK :confused: