Still offering 16 3G water damage replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ashley1496, Jun 8, 2009.

1. ashley1496 macrumors regular

So with the announcement of the new phone, I'm wondering if they will still offer replacement on a water damaged iPhone 3G 16g for $199 as previously posted? Obviously, they will have stock of 8g 3G because it's staying on the market but what about the 16g?
    Since I've decided I'm not upgrading, I'm thinking it would be nice to just pony up the $200 if they'll give me a new 3G or like-new 3G...

Do you think they'll still offer this? And, since they're not selling the 3G 16g anymore, what do you think my chances are of getting a brand new one vs. refurbished? I'd think they'd just want to clear out stock of the new ones that never sold? However, I remember hearing they were sold out pre-WWDC or at least being advertised at apple.com as such.

Thoughts?

2. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Generally, they keep a supply of older models in the store for these kinds of replacements (that fall under Apple Care). However, since water damage isn't covered under Apple Care, you might need to find a very sympathetic Genius to sell you a 3G model...or eBay. ;)

I've also heard a few scattered stories of people going in for a replacement, and leaving with the newer model due to a store's lack of older ones on hand.