Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Ive been debating whether or not to upgrade my AW, its a launch day 42mm AW3 Nike Edition (GPS + Cell) - its been used continuously since purchase with the exception of a 12mth hiatus with zero issues other than when it still was getting updates and the debacle that was the AW3 model.

I keep thinking of replacing it with an Ultra or S9 but I keep reading about battery life and degradation, and on checking my AW3 the battery health is still at 95% and lasts 2 days in-between charges - so not sure if changing is a clever idea!

Guess I am not really asking anything specific, but thoughts appreciated - would an upgrade be worthwhile?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Ive been debating whether or not to upgrade my AW, its a launch day 42mm AW3 Nike Edition (GPS + Cell) - its been used continuously since purchase with the exception of a 12mth hiatus with zero issues other than when it still was getting updates and the debacle that was the AW3 model.

I keep thinking of replacing it with an Ultra or S9 but I keep reading about battery life and degradation, and on checking my AW3 the battery health is still at 95% and lasts 2 days in-between charges - so not sure if changing is a clever idea!

Guess I am not really asking anything specific, but thoughts appreciated - would an upgrade be worthwhile?
I honestly doubt that a S3 launch day (was in 2017, right?) still has 95% battery health, but, leave that aside, if your battery lasts for 2 days between charges, you are quite a "light" user (and there's nothing wrong with that).

Would an upgrade be "worthwhile"? only if we know your use cases we can answer that, but my opinion:
. display size, esp Ultra - huge upgrade, also get AOD
. the various health features (ECG, SpO2 maybe, wrist temp ...)
I had S0/3/4/7/Ultra1/2. I still have S4, S7 and U2, when I look at my S4, the display feels very very small ...

So, what are you using your AW for today and what might change (or not) with a new one?

nnc

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2023
Always on display, crash detection, heart monitoring, and fall detection are significant features in the newer models.

Another consideration: Do you like the physical size of your Series 3, or would you prefer a bit smaller? Good news either way: The 45 mm Series 9 has a much larger display area than the 42 mm. Even the smaller 41 mm Series 9 has a larger display area than the 42 mm. Or go huge and get the Ultra.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
For what it’s worth, I went from a Series 4 to Series 9 and have been very happy with the upgrade. The display is noticeably brighter. I like the Always On display. Battery life has been excellent.

Godspeed8230

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2021
I went from AWS3 to S9 in January mainly because of two reasons:
- Apps like Audible or Nike Run Club were no longer supported by the old operating system (a bummer, because my AWS3 was still going strong, it even had a 2 day battery life)
- Listening via AirPods Pro was a real hassle with my S3 - sometimes I lost the connection while on a run and I couldn't reconnect.

I'd say I am happy with the new watch, the brighter display and the improved performance. However, since I was used to watchOS8 and older watchOS10 hasn't been really intuitive for me. I don't really see the benefit of the SmartStack (and the inability to activate it while using an app, only from the watchface) and the fact that there is a dedicated button for the control center. Swiping up was way more useful. I REALLY hope Apple backtracks on watchOS11 - much like they did with the TouchBar. It feels like Apple tried to reinvent the wheel here and they had to come up with something "new".

DoupleTap on the other hand (haha ;)) is a nice feature but I wish one could combine it with other gestures.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Good points raised - I dont mind the size at all - Im not sure if the 49mm would be too large, however that being said I do own a number of GShock watches for when im out on the boat or bike.

Hmmmm ... I didnt realise watchOS had moved on so much either! thats a definite consideration!

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I honestly doubt that a S3 launch day (was in 2017, right?) still has 95% battery health, but, leave that aside, if your battery lasts for 2 days between charges, you are quite a "light" user (and there's nothing wrong with that).

Would an upgrade be "worthwhile"? only if we know your use cases we can answer that, but my opinion:
. display size, esp Ultra - huge upgrade, also get AOD
. the various health features (ECG, SpO2 maybe, wrist temp ...)
I had S0/3/4/7/Ultra1/2. I still have S4, S7 and U2, when I look at my S4, the display feels very very small ...

So, what are you using your AW for today and what might change (or not) with a new one?
I am a light user, no doubt about that, and it was 94 not 95%, thats my error.

IMG_7666.JPG

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
I wasn't questioning the reading on your watch but rather the accuracy to what the watch shows you

I'd believe it. I have a Series 3, manufactured in late 2018 and worn every day since late 2019, that still shows 100% battery health. If the battery health reporting algorithm is wrong, I certainly haven't noticed it, the battery seems just as good as the day I got it. 👍

Reactions: x5tuu and jz0309
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.