Still on iOS 4.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevintech, Mar 6, 2011.

1. kevintech macrumors 6502

iP4 here and I plan to keep iOS 4.1 until the new iPhone comes out. I just feel the process of upgrading and losing my jailbreak, having to re-jailbreak, potential bugs with MiWi and my other Cydia apps just isn't worth AirPlay or whatever else 4.2 and 4.3 have to offer.

Who's with me? And for those with 4.2 or higher, have you successfully jailbroken (unthethered) and have gotten everything to work just as you did with iOS 4.1?

2. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Went from 4.1 to 4.2.1, took a couple of hours getting phone exactly how I wanted again but also allowed me to clear out all my old stuff and get it just perfect again.

All my Cydia apps work perfect, no issues at all.

You can use pkgbackup to backup/restore your cydia apps and obviously do an itunes backup for official apps, settings etc. Really won't take long to sync everything back if you do change

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I was on iOS 4.0 up until a couple weeks ago. I wanted the new Find My iPhone feature, GameCenter and AirPrint, but I was afraid to make the move. I was feeling a little adventurous, so I took the plunge to 4.2.1 after I researched the untethered jb pretty thoroughly.

I can now proudly experience those features on 4.2.1 (except for AirPrint? Home printer can't be found or something...) and keep my jb. I'd recommend taking the plunge. You'd just be missing out. :)

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

4. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Upgraded to 4.2.1 JB untethered and I have no issues with any of my cydia apps.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im still on 4.1
    Didnt bother with 4.2.1 yet cause the 4.3 JB is around the corner.
    Dont feel like restoring and installing all my stuff all over again.

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

This is why I didn't jailbreak in this model.

I did the whole back-up thing with Cydia apps back in the day and it still wasn't organized the way I wanted it. It can take hours and honestly, I rarely use JB apps or customization anymore. It can be just a novelty to me. I don't even update iOS anymore because most of the new features are things I don't need. I hear 4.3 will be faster on Safari with the Nitro Engine. If it is only 1-2 seconds faster, I really wouldn't bother with it. Updates can be such a resource hog and take up more space that it actually slows down our phones.

But rehashing old ideas and a new gimmick here and there is what technology is based on to keep us buying the newer products to make our lives "slightly" easier. It is no different than the automobile industry. Usually the 3rd-5th gen is when it peaks in hardware and software before a reboot/revamp to the next generation when the product line is running its course. The first gen is when it is revolutionary in design, but also not the most refined. Even the Sidekick ran its course. The first gen was ugly, but it became popular by the 2nd gen and didn't peak as "the best Sidekick evah" until the 4th gen (LX) came out. The iPod classic ran its course too once Apple focused on iOS products.