Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
As stated, I have not yet installed IOS 7 on my iPhone or iPad. I am wondering if there is a general consensus on whether or not it is "safe" to do the dozens (on both devices, combined) of app updates I have been putting off, because the phrase "...for IOS 7" appears in the update notes in App Store.

Thoughts?

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
If it is presented as an update for you it should still be compatible with your IOS6 version unless it says requires IOS7. I would check the release notes and see the changes to verify that something isn't removed that you really like. I would also read some of the reviews as well to see if someone complains about something in particular.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
If it is presented as an update for you it should still be compatible with your IOS6 version unless it says requires IOS7. I would check the release notes and see the changes to verify that something isn't removed that you really like. I would also read some of the reviews as well to see if someone complains about something in particular.

Thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify a bit: although I do not consider myself a member of the chorus of IOS 7 critics, I am concerned that apps updated for IOS 7 will introduce the type(s) of undesired results many are reporting about IOS 7.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
If you're running happily on iOS6 and an app is requesting an iOS7 update remember this is not an upgrade of the app for you!

I wouldn't accept the update as of now.
Really, what would you think is the upside to doing so?

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
If you're running happily on iOS6 and an app is requesting an iOS7 update remember this is not an upgrade of the app for you!

I wouldn't accept the update as of now.
Really, what would you think is the upside to doing so?

I feel basically the same way you do. I was just wondering if there was anything I was missing.

Also, some apps have IOS 7 compatibility listed among several "upgrades".

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Apps should be backwards compatible at least with iOS 6, so it should be safe to update.

But being stuck with iOS 6 while Apple has decided to switch all his ecosystem to iOS 7 is not a wise choice in my opinion.
iOS 7 has its limits and bug, but is far from being unusable.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i upgraded on the day, I'm sorry i did, cos some of my favorite games no longer work. Others just force quit...

Plus Mail looks better on iOS 6 ...... The stick figures in Safari is hardly any innovation... I can draw stick figures.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
i upgraded on the day, I'm sorry i did, cos some of my favorite games no longer work. Others just force quit...

Plus Mail looks better on iOS 6 ...... The stick figures in Safari is hardly any innovation... I can draw stick figures.

It is reports like yours, both on MacRumors and from "live" friends, that are convincing me to delay.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify a bit: although I do not consider myself a member of the chorus of IOS 7 critics, I am concerned that apps updated for IOS 7 will introduce the type(s) of undesired results many are reporting about IOS 7.

That's fair and why I stated the difference between requires IOS7 and reading the release notes and reviews to avoid these situations.

I am one that updated to the GM when it was released and have loved the changes from the start and never looked back. My wife was so intrigued and impressed that she asked to have hers updated within the next few days (I am in IT QA so I am always the test Guinea pig before we adopt). The kids also begged for the updates on their devices and I did it once the official was released (as they have older devices) and all are very happy. I really like the mail additions that make my life much easier (such as the capability to see only unread mail) as I have several accounts to monitor and get tired of monitoring the shared inbox yet missing unread filed by rules prior to hitting that inbox.

I also love the multitasking and the way safari handles different pages/tabs and the ability to handle unlimited versus a limit of 8 from ios6.
As well as the placement of the back arrows and swiping gestures usage.

I am not enamored by the flat appearance of everything. But the added capabilities more than make up for it for me. The notification center and control centers are much more useful and informative to me. The customizations of ringtones, banners, and overall individuality allowed that now exists are more akin to those in Andriod (still lacking and locked out more than in android) but now feels like actual changes were made to the systems and we have capabilities that should have been included years ago (call and text blocking) and FaceTime Audio are superb. I also know it will get only better as it evolves further.

As for the calendar, I rarely use it and get most of my information from the notification screen or my mac which I'm in front of 90% of the time, so I am still getting used to some do the changes but the better coloring of events is a welcome addition for me.

Overall I am happy and impressed with the upgrade and don't regret it at all. Somethings has changed and will require adjustment on my part but it see that as the way things are. Being in QA I deal with this as the job and realize things any always be like they were and sometimes the changes end up being liked more later on than they were originally and initially perceived.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I don't use my iPhone nearly as extensively as many here, certainly not close to the examples squeakr provides here and detailed in other threads.

As such, iOS6 is the perfect 'fit' for me. Sure, I'll roll into iOS7 soon enough, but for my level of use, or the lack thereof, updating is of little to no benefit and the deficit of doing so outweighs the pros.

Heavy users may benefit while others may not.
That's the reason I wish Apple gave its loyal users the option.

(On a side note: just for fun I rolled back my old iPhone3 from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3 just last night. It was easy with simple instructions provided to me. Why Apple doesn't allow the same with users of iPhone4S and above [to go from 7.02 to 6.1.3] escapes me.)

I'd also add, what your neighbor does two doors down with his iPhone's firmware really doesn't affect you with yours and if it does, how does that become his problem?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
^
Simply, some- not all, concern themselves with other users choice of firmware (including Apple) when truly it has no direct and very little indirect relevance to how their own iPhone functions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.