iPad Still on iOS 7.1.2. Skip 8.4.1 and wait for 9?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by NorthSeaBeach, Aug 30, 2015.

  1. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2014
    Location:
    The Hague
    #1
    We have an ipad 3 (me) , two Mini 2's (the kids) and an iphone 5S (miss NorthSeaBeach) in our household. All ipads are on iOS 7.1.2, the 5s is on 8.3.

    My ipad 3 will stay on 7.1.2, because iOS 8 will cripple it too much. I'm waiting for an ipad Air 3 anyway. I'm a little anxious what to do with the Mini2's now Apple didn't fix the buggy iOS 8 in their last update.

    My only concern is that leaving the Mini2's on 7.1.2 will mean that they will mis out on future app updates sooner. Since iOS 8.4.1 is so buggy, I reckon I can just aswell wait for iOS 9 and hope that Apple does a better job on that one. But that's two iOS' s up from the one the Mini2 got shipped with. So maybe that will slow them down just as bad or even worse. In the later case I will regret not to have updated to 8.4.1.

    Can I get some of your much appreciated thoughts?
     
  2. leerichards1 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2012
    #2
    I wouldn't touch 8.4.1 if I were you. You could be fine of course, many users must be, but if not you're setting yourself up for a whole lot of trouble. For those users with 8.4.1 issues, of which I am one, the phones and iPads have multiple issues that require constant rebooting, these include issues with the podcast app, installing and updating apps, accessing Apple Music features, accessing settings pages, using safari and opening email links. For the sake of a few weeks, I would simply wait for iOS 9.
     
  3. NorthSeaBeach thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2014
    Location:
    The Hague
    #3
    Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated! I'm inclined to follow you're advice. Is it at all possible to update iOS 7.1.2 straight to iOS 9? I seem to remember that I updated my ipad 3 from iOS 5 straight to iOS 7, so it probably is. Just want to be sure.
     
  4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

    bandofbrothers

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location:
    Uk
    #4
    Once iOS 9 is released and if you want it your iPad will update straight to it if you choose to.
     
  5. NorthSeaBeach thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2014
    Location:
    The Hague
    #5
    I thought so. Thanks for your reply!
     
  6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

    bandofbrothers

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location:
    Uk
    #6
    No worries.

    I'm on iOS 8.4.1 and will probably hang back a week or so to see how iOS 9 GM performs
     
  7. NorthSeaBeach thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2014
    Location:
    The Hague
    #7
    Well my worry is that iOS 9 might slow down the Mini2's more than iOS 8.4.1, even when that's far from perfect.

    Maybe you can share your experiences once you have iOS 9 installed. I would be much obliged.
     
  8. NorthSeaBeach thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2014
    Location:
    The Hague
    #8
    Come to think of it: by than I can't op for 8.4.1. Silly of me.
     
  9. g35 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2007
    #9
    Apple keeps signing an old OS for a few days, sometimes up to a week I think, after a new OS is released. So in the 3-7 day period following the 6S release, you can experiment with 8.4.1 and 9.0. Then at some point Apple will be only signing 9.0 so you will be stuck with either the current OS the iPad is on, or 9.0.

    If you are willing to get iOS 9.0 through unauthorized means, you can get the official version of iOS 9.0 on September 9, giving you probably 12-15 days to test both 8.4.1 and 9.0 as you please.
     
  10. NorthSeaBeach thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2014
    Location:
    The Hague
    #10
    Didn't k
    Didn't know that! Good to know. Thank you for your reply!
     
  11. perkedel macrumors 6502a

    perkedel

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2014
    Location:
    California
    #11
    if you have 7.1.2, how are you able to hide the settings badge count for update?
    i can't seem to disable this on older device, drives me nuts.
     

Share This Page