Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2014
Hi,

New here, I am currently running a Macbook Pro 2009 with 2gb ram and OSX Lion 10.7.5, I keep seeing a free upgrade to OSX Maverick but then also see scare stories about the operating system, should I upgrade, will it make my system run quicker or slow it down, I currently have some issues with Safari hanging on different sites, mainly Facebook though, I use Word, Safari and iTunes mainly.

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks in advance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice, and my opinion only (most others' will be different):

Going to 10.8.5 might be a worthwhile upgrade from 10.7.
BUT
I would advise you NOT to go to Mavericks or Yosemite UNLESS you have an SSD, and even then, I wouldn't really advise it.

I've found the performance of Mavericks vis-a-vis Mountain Lion to be S-L-O-W -- that is to say, spinning beachballs all over the place.
Not so with Mountain Lion -- fast and snappy.

I'm -guessing- that this has much to do with the way that Mavericks (and Yosemite) load and handle RAM. It's a completely different paradigm than with earlier versions of OS X.

IF you decide you'd like to try an upgrade -- even just to Mountain Lion -- BE SURE that you create some sort of backup of your existing internal drive first. That way, if you don't like it, you can "go back"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.