Still pics embedded in video.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by charlyee, Jul 20, 2011.

1. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

I transferred a video clip from my ancient Sony DCR PC1. It has still photographs embedded in the video and I would like to take these out of iMovie Events and put them in iPhoto or equivalent. It is probably something quite simple but I can't figure it out.

How would I do this?

I have a Macbook Air, if that helps.

Thanks much :)

2. charlyee thread starter macrumors 6502

charlyee

Anyone? Please help, there are some valuable photographs that I need to extract and save.

Thanks for any help.

PS: I did a web search and the only instructions were for iMovie 06 and those options are not in my iMovie 11

3. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

Still images in video will only have the resolution of the video. If that's standard definition video, it means your pics will be 720x480... pretty poor resolution. Hope you don't plan on printing those or anything. :(

Other than that, you can export a still frame from video with an editing program. Adobe Premiere does this, for example. You could also try screen capture with Command+4 keys.

So long as you understand it will never be as good as the original still image, you can grab it one way or another.

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Trying not to nitpick but a screengrab is taken with Command+Shift+4, you probably knew it but just missed it out.

If you want a fullscreen grab then it's Command+Shift+3.

5. fpnc, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

fpnc macrumors 68000

The QuickTime Player 7 Pro utility from Apple will allow you to save individual video frames to a still picture (it's actually called an export, not a save). However, the export is done to a PICT file (.pct) which is a format that isn't supported by very many apps (it's compressed to a JPEG format but stored in a PICT container). Preview will open the file but it will only allow you to save it as another PICT or a PDF.

In any case, Apple still has a link to purchase the upgrade to the Pro version of the player (it's $30) and you can download the standard version of the QuickTime 7 Player for free.

6. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

My bad. I use Cmd+shift+4 myself, and never tried a full screen grab, so I assumed it might be same minus shift. I would have struggled with that someday, so thanks for the info. :)