Still pictures in iMovie?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JTToft, Mar 24, 2011.

1. JTToft macrumors 68040

Hello all,

I would like to know if you think it is feasible to use iMovie for stop-motion movie production. It seems I can't get my still pictures to last less than 0.1 seconds each, which is not low enough. I would like to achieve a frame rate of 18-24 per second.

Does anyone know if this is possible in iMovie in any way? Or is 0.1 seconds the lowest it can go?

- Thanks!

2. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

make a slide show of still pictures with 25 pictures in it and make it last 25 seccond then just reduce the time in the setting. that way cou can make a stop motion slide movie. of course you can add pictures to make more FPS if you want. but thats the basic idea hope it helps

3. JTToft, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

JTToft thread starter macrumors 68040

- Thanks for your reply. But I am sorry to say that your instructions did not make sense to me.
    Could you rephrase and elaborate?

If somebody else knows how I can achieve my goal, please don't hesitate to reply to this thread. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

I should add that I use iMovie '11.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Did just a quick search with MRoogle and found others with the same complaint. FrameByFrame is a free program made specifically for stop motion that I found with that same search.

5. JTToft thread starter macrumors 68040

- That application allows me to adjust the framerate in smaller increments than 0.1 seconds, so that's great. But I think, perhaps, it is a tad too simple for my uses. I will keep it in mind though!

Thank you!

6. Gugulino macrumors member

Gugulino

I think Charlie Sheen meant that you should create a slide show in for example iPhoto and reduce the display time for each photo to one second. For 25 photos it takes 25 seconds. To achieve a frame rate of 25 fps you have to play the whole sequence faster, to be exact 25 times faster. I do not know if that is possible in iMovie 11. In QuickTime 7 you can create movies from a sequence of pictures. You can even set the display time of each photo. You need QuickTime 7 Pro and the the menu item is called "Open Image Sequence". Try it out! :)