Still possible to find Week 38 iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Oct 1, 2007.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I am going to cambridge side galleria mall apple store today to try and swap my negative effect iphone with a week 38 model, or one that isn't affected.... ah i hope i find one or the apple employees recognize the problem when i show them that picture of the black album and maybe compare it to floor models.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Cambridge Apple store was sold out of iPhones on Saturday, so if they do have any in now they will be new.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

so what do you think i should do? should i go to genius bar and see if they have any new replacements that don't have the same messed up screen? i dunno.

4. Geffen macrumors 6502

I bought my iPhone last week at an Apple store in my city and mine was a week 38 so i take it this must be the newest shipment of iPhones?

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

at genius bar now, swapping my week 39 iphone with 7 series lcd (with negative issue) out for a week 38 lcd that has no negative issues (tested it before swapping it out).

ive seen 5 series lcd in person too.

7 series week 38 > 5 series > 7 series negative issue.

thats my ranking

happy now :D

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

7459072 is the lcd version too... look out for the other 7 series, i played with a lot of the demos in the store and they looked bad (black negative).

7. blueness macrumors newbie

Week 38s hit or miss. I have a 7455232 display and Steve should be ashamed of it.

Yeah. My Week 38 has a 7455232 LCD Panel and it's clearly negative.
    Sigh. And I'm almost two hours from the nearest Apple store. Time to get on the phone and ask them to take yet another iPhone back (first one was a refurb. with all the issues... I should have known better).

I'm so tired of Apple, crappy Chinese manufacturing and lousy AT&T customer service (while activating Treo 650/750s at work) that I'm just about "done" with Apple until they get their crap together. Sure there's always something with Apple products but this is getting old...

I'd like quality produc and interface design in addition to good build quality and understanding tech support. Is that so much to ask?
    Given all the crap that's out there from the usual suspects (Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, HTC, Verizon, AT&T, etc.) I guess so...

Sigh...

8. Geffen macrumors 6502

I have a week 38 how do you find out what screen you have?

9. blueness macrumors newbie

caveat emptor?

Dial *3001#12345#* This will bring up field test mode. Tap "Versions" to bring up Firmware and LCD Panel ID.

I hope you're fortunate enough to have something other than 7455232.

When I get a second, I'll post an image of my shimmer/negative black experience (looking at the thing head on...). If we were back in the early days of LCD, I wouldn't balk but, I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs would not stand for having his iPhone to look like the one his company sold me.

Fortunately, they're sending me a return label and I can exchange the one I have without penalty. I hope I don't get a week 39 or 40 with the same issue/screen.

10. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

2 things...1)how do you find out if you have a week 38 iphone and what does it matter?

2) I have an LCD Panel ID of 7455232...what does that mean?

11. blueness macrumors newbie

The week of manufacture is indicated by the fourth and fifth numbers in your iPhone's serial number (i.e. 73738....).

The LCD Panel ID 7455232 has been linked to both the "negative black" effect and the "checkboard" effect.

The negative black effect is when dark/shadow areas of an image or video display as inverted gray/green or white when they should exhibit a normal grayscale falloff to black.

Search for "negative black" and iPhone or iPod Touch and you'll find numerous comparision images.

The "checkboard," "grid," or "white dots," effect seems to have been resolved by week 38 (well, mine didn't have it and my previous refurb. did). While most articles consider it an artifact of improper touch screen manufacturing, others attribute it to a software glitch made apparent by the 7455232 displays but not visible on the previous "5-series (5xxxxxx)" LCD panels.

12. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Oh, well the 1.1.1 fixed the grid problem and i havent had any problems with a negative screen or anything so am i ok?

My serial number is 7U728.......so i have a week 28 iphone? Is that bad?

^ ?

13. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Yes, all week 28 phones are set to self destruct at midnight of october 9th.

14. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

I better bring it in to apple then :rolleyes:

All smartass remarks aside...is my iphone alright?

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

How long could this go on? How to guarantee a good phone?

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Get the factory to feed the workers more rice...

17. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

yes, i just bought a week 38 iPhone last night from the AT&T store

loaded with 1.0.2

no screen issues here

18. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

I:) guess i'm in the good, never had screen issues, my phone is mint*
    LCD 5755136 week 28...whoo hooo

19. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My 38 week replacement I got sent for an issue has the negative black for sure. :( Not only negative black, but so few details you can see in black images compared to my loaner phone I had.

Very upsetting. Now what do I do? Scared they won't believe me about the negative black.

I just want a working, correct phone.

I'm interesting on hearing any future updates on iPhones with the negative black displays?

I'm very disappointed my brand new replacement iPhone has negative blacks. It's such a beautiful device, if only it wasn't for this.

It is week 38.