Still received Skype warning message after clean install to iOS 4.0 GM...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bripab007, Jun 8, 2010.

1. bripab007 macrumors 6502

I did a clean install/set-up-as-new to iOS 4.0 GM on my 3GS last night and, upon launching Skype for the first time, got the message that they only support it on unmodified versions of 3.0, 3.1, etc. that I was used to seeing when the phone was JB'n.

Did this message come up merely because I'm running OS 4.0, and Skype is planning to release an updated version to coincide with the public release of OS 4.0, or is there some truth to remnants of JB or old Skype plist files persisting through a clean restore?

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Most current official release = 3.1.3

I think it comes down to skype seeing a version other then what every user can download through itunes.

3. bripab007 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the conclusion I'm leaning towards as well; it was just a bit surprising to see.

4. dexthageek macrumors 6502

I just purchased a new iphone 4, running iOS 4.1 and Skype is giving me the Warning as well. I have not JB this phone.

5. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

DId you restore from a backup?

6. bripab007 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's funny, never really got a clear answer on this the last time. But, anywho, I was JB on 4.0.1 until the other day and decided to use Tiny Umbrella (http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/) to do a baseband-protected restore-upgrade to 4.1.

When it came time to activate, I, of course, set up the phone as new, not from backup, and I, too, got that same old Skype message about not supporting on unmodified phones.

FWIW.

7. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

You can just disregard the warning, Skype runs fine.
    It seems to give that warning to everyone, stock or jailbroken, since the last update.

8. bripab007 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm quite aware the app runs fine, despite the warning.

What I'd like to know is, do you get that message after launching the app for the first time on a brand-new iPod Touch 4G or iPhone 4, straight from the factory with iOS 4.1 installed?

You seem to allude to that, but have you actually seen the message on a 4.1 device that's never been JB'n?

9. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Read thread?