Still recommend 20" aluminum ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vastoholic, Sep 28, 2011.

1. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm looking for some screen replacements since I currently have my TV hooked up to my mini and it's not an optimal set up obviously, especially considering I'm about to go back into college. I've found several good condition 20" aluminum apple cinema displays on ebay going for $150-180. That looked like a pretty good deal to me. I was planning on a dual set up with two of those.

My main question is if anyone would still recommend these displays. I had a 23" polycarbonate display about 3 years ago and I seem to remember it still looking fantastic. Aside from normal homework in college, I'll be using these to do some personal video editing from my contour HD camera. Will these still give me a good idea of the color and contrast on my videos or would it look drastically different if played on an LED/LED backlit screen? I also do some amateur personal photography. None of these are for profit so it's not that big of a deal really. Just want my videos and pictures to look the same to everyone else after I edit them.

2. ImTheOne macrumors member

I recently got rid of mine and am kind of regretting doing so. They really are fantastic monitors for the price that they are at now. IMO I would grab 2 and not look back. I think I sold mine for $200 a few months ago.

3. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

4. vastoholic thread starter macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Thanks for that. Here's the one I'm looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-A1081...r_Monitors&hash=item43a9f80fd4#ht_1000wt_1198

It's listing both contrast ratios. I guess I will wait on a response from him to see what it really is. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to get these or a brand new one with a little better specs for the same price.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

nostalgia? Are you guys starting a museum? :D

Don't you think there has been some progress with LCD technology (LED comes to mind)?
    Actually, it's the brightness with those things that always bugged me. I don't like anything that's less than 300nits . The new (much more expensive) ACDs are twice as bright as those 20", which must be around 180 nits.

But a lot of people don't like it bright, so then these would be great (and cheap)

6. vastoholic thread starter macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm definitely not getting a new ACD. I like the way these look honestly. But again, there are brand new LCD monitors with higher specs for the same price now.

7. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea these had come down so far in price on the used market.

Unfortunately, it also might mean you have some new eBay competition...