Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
It's such a hard decision. I love the build quality of the 5S and it's still a very solid phone, but I would love to have a 6 because of screen size and Apple Pay. I'd also get the 64GB this time, even though I still have fairly enough space on my 5S, but that's because I store my pictures on my iPad along with music too. Should I give in and get the 6 or wait for the 6S this year? Btw, I buy my phone full price so that's why I'm still hesitant. $749 for a phone is quite a lot.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's such a hard decision. I love the build quality of the 5S and it's still a very solid phone, but I would love to have a 6 because of screen size and Apple Pay. I'd also get the 64GB this time, even though I still have fairly enough space on my 5S, but that's because I store my pictures on my iPad along with music too. Should I give in and get the 6 or wait for the 6S this year? Btw, I buy my phone full price so that's why I'm still hesitant. $749 for a phone is quite a lot.

The resale value the 6 has in a year vs the 5s can help with the cost. I upgrade every year and lose around $150-$200.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
The resale value the 6 has in a year vs the 5s can help with the cost. I upgrade every year and lose around $150-$200.

Based on your experience with this, what would you say a 64gb 6 unlocked/t-mobile would sell for next sept/oct?

I'm definitely interested in the yearly upgrade thing provided it's cost effective.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
If I were you, and I could comfortably get by with what I had, I would wait.

Yes, we are likely talking ~ 9 months BUT you will undoubtedly be in for a bigger treat by waiting for the 6S.

I am sort of in the same boat, as I am still rocking my 5S that I got on launch day in 2013. Yes, it's been through a lot and the battery life has gotten horrible. Yes, I would like a bigger screen as well as some of the other 6/6+ features, but, at the same time, I can't exactly miss features which I never had.

For me it was a similar dilemma when the 4 launched yet I was still rocking my 3GS.....and again when the 5 launched and I still had my 4S....but in the end I was happy I'd waited.

But YMMV

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
I am on the same boat, but I have an iPhone 5. I could buy an iPhone every year, but they are so expensive in Europe that I find not acceptable to spend such a high amount of money on smartphones.

However, because I actually can afford it without any problems, I am not sure if I should buy the 6 or wait for the 6s. I lived with my 5 until now, so I could wait. But last week I saw a 6 and I actually want Touch ID, better LTE support and other features.

It's a tough decision. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the 6 has just 1GB of RAM (as my iPhone 5), and was also disappointed about the lack of an higher resolution. If I buy the 6s, I will certainly not buy the 7, and I doubt that the 6s will have more than 750p.

But regarding to the 5s, I think it is not worth the upgrade to the 6. You will have very little performance improvements, and you still have Touch ID on the 5s, and the camera is also great. But at the end it's all about money. If you can afford and you don't mind spending money (I can afford but I do mind spending that kind of money), go for it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Do you buy at full price as well?

I do.

Based on your experience with this, what would you say a 64gb 6 unlocked/t-mobile would sell for next sept/oct?

I'm definitely interested in the yearly upgrade thing provided it's cost effective.

$500. A little more if you have applecare+

I do it every year. iPhones have excellent resale value. I use to always buy the 16gb models and would get $450 or a little more. The higher capacity you get the more you lose though. I would say the extra $100 apple charges per storage capacity translates into $25-$30 reselling.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Still rockin' a 5S, but want a 6...

I do.

$500. A little more if you have applecare+

I do it every year. iPhones have excellent resale value. I use to always buy the 16gb models and would get $450 or a little more. The higher capacity you get the more you lose though. I would say the extra $100 apple charges per storage capacity translates into $25-$30 reselling.

Yeah. Makes sense on the capacities. People shopping for a used phone are looking to get by as cheap as possible, so capacity and specs are secondary to them if important at all.

I do have Applecare+. My 6 cost me 800 after tax, so if I can wrangle in $550 for my 6 next year, I'm at $500 after fees and shipping. So I might be putting out $300 a year to stay upgraded. That becomes a little less appealing.

It might be more cost effective to upgrade on a 2 year cycle.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Yeah, the one thing is that I just spend almost $700 for my 5S last year and if I were to get the 6 that'd be close to $800 after taxes. That's the only thing holding me back. Then again, I could always get a 2 year but the pricing is ridiculous for an individual line.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah. Makes sense on the capacities. People shopping for a used phone are looking to get by as cheap as possible, so capacity and specs are secondary to them if important at all.

I do have Applecare+. My 6 cost me 800 after tax, so if I can wrangle in $550 for my 6 next year, I'm at $500 after fees and shipping. So I might be putting out $300 a year to stay upgraded. That becomes a little less appealing.

It might be more cost effective to upgrade on a 2 year cycle.

I would shoot for craigslist to avoid shipping and fees.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Hang in there.. I have the iPhone 5, and can definitely afford to upgrade to the 6. However, my current phone still works and does everything I want it to do. So, I am being responsible to my family and future and not spending money I don't have to :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.