Still rockin' a 5S, but want a 6...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heyyitssusan, Jan 4, 2015.

  1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2014
    #1
    It's such a hard decision. I love the build quality of the 5S and it's still a very solid phone, but I would love to have a 6 because of screen size and Apple Pay. I'd also get the 64GB this time, even though I still have fairly enough space on my 5S, but that's because I store my pictures on my iPad along with music too. Should I give in and get the 6 or wait for the 6S this year? Btw, I buy my phone full price so that's why I'm still hesitant. $749 for a phone is quite a lot.
     
  2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #2
    The resale value the 6 has in a year vs the 5s can help with the cost. I upgrade every year and lose around $150-$200.
     
  3. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2014
    #3
    Do you buy at full price as well?
     
  4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #4

    Based on your experience with this, what would you say a 64gb 6 unlocked/t-mobile would sell for next sept/oct?

    I'm definitely interested in the yearly upgrade thing provided it's cost effective.
     
  5. TWD98j macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2010
    #5
    If I were you, and I could comfortably get by with what I had, I would wait.

    Yes, we are likely talking ~ 9 months BUT you will undoubtedly be in for a bigger treat by waiting for the 6S.

    I am sort of in the same boat, as I am still rocking my 5S that I got on launch day in 2013. Yes, it's been through a lot and the battery life has gotten horrible. Yes, I would like a bigger screen as well as some of the other 6/6+ features, but, at the same time, I can't exactly miss features which I never had.

    For me it was a similar dilemma when the 4 launched yet I was still rocking my 3GS.....and again when the 5 launched and I still had my 4S....but in the end I was happy I'd waited.

    But YMMV
     
  6. atmc macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2009
    Location:
    Porto, Portugal
    #6
    I am on the same boat, but I have an iPhone 5. I could buy an iPhone every year, but they are so expensive in Europe that I find not acceptable to spend such a high amount of money on smartphones.

    However, because I actually can afford it without any problems, I am not sure if I should buy the 6 or wait for the 6s. I lived with my 5 until now, so I could wait. But last week I saw a 6 and I actually want Touch ID, better LTE support and other features.

    It's a tough decision. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the 6 has just 1GB of RAM (as my iPhone 5), and was also disappointed about the lack of an higher resolution. If I buy the 6s, I will certainly not buy the 7, and I doubt that the 6s will have more than 750p.

    But regarding to the 5s, I think it is not worth the upgrade to the 6. You will have very little performance improvements, and you still have Touch ID on the 5s, and the camera is also great. But at the end it's all about money. If you can afford and you don't mind spending money (I can afford but I do mind spending that kind of money), go for it.
     
  7. carjakester macrumors 68020

    carjakester

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Location:
    Midwest
    #7
    if you haven't pulled the trigger yet you must not really need it so i say wait.
     
  8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #8
    I do.

    $500. A little more if you have applecare+

    I do it every year. iPhones have excellent resale value. I use to always buy the 16gb models and would get $450 or a little more. The higher capacity you get the more you lose though. I would say the extra $100 apple charges per storage capacity translates into $25-$30 reselling.
     
  9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #9
    Still rockin' a 5S, but want a 6...


    Yeah. Makes sense on the capacities. People shopping for a used phone are looking to get by as cheap as possible, so capacity and specs are secondary to them if important at all.

    I do have Applecare+. My 6 cost me 800 after tax, so if I can wrangle in $550 for my 6 next year, I'm at $500 after fees and shipping. So I might be putting out $300 a year to stay upgraded. That becomes a little less appealing.

    It might be more cost effective to upgrade on a 2 year cycle.
     
  10. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2014
    #10
    Yeah, the one thing is that I just spend almost $700 for my 5S last year and if I were to get the 6 that'd be close to $800 after taxes. That's the only thing holding me back. Then again, I could always get a 2 year but the pricing is ridiculous for an individual line.
     
  11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #11
    I would shoot for craigslist to avoid shipping and fees.
     
  12. mtneer macrumors 68020

    mtneer

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #12
    Hang in there.. I have the iPhone 5, and can definitely afford to upgrade to the 6. However, my current phone still works and does everything I want it to do. So, I am being responsible to my family and future and not spending money I don't have to :p
     
  13. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Cal
    #13
    You might as well wait for the 7 or 7s. Point is there's always something coming out later.
     

Share This Page