Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Okay, so I'm still running 7.1.2 on my iPhone five and iPad air. It's a solid and stable release. I'm more than pleased with its performance and haven't considered upgrading either just yet.

I will be getting my iPhone six in the mail in a few weeks. Do you guys think I should wait to update my iPad when I get my iPhone six or should I update to 8.1 when it's released on Monday?

I'm just so satisfied with both my device's performance right now, I don't want to be let down.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I'm still at 6.1.3 on my iPhone 4 because iOS 7 is slow and unusable. Very satisfied with iOS 6... To hell with even iOS 8... :p

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Only if you want the ios8 features. I'm on 7.1.2 for my 5 and ipod5. The iPad however is at 8.1 for icloud drive reasons. And some widgets are useful and the A6X is quite capable.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
my iPad air is on 7.1.2 I tried the whole 8.0 GM nonsense and quickly downgraded. The safari experience was sub-par and that is pretty much what i use the air for is to surf the net on the go and on the couch. I have an iPhone 6 they did not really give me a choice but to run 8 and it is a side show of horror. I know it will get back to being just as good if not better than 7.1.2 but it will take them quite some time with all these new features and code base changes. I am just sad we have to go through this cycle all the damn time. Can we not get smaller more frequent updates or make the beta testing period longer so that we do not have to experience sub-par experience

/rant

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Depends on if you want/need the new features. The performance typically is not quite as good with newer iOS on older devices. Just nature of the beast. Showstopper? No. I had iOS 8 on a 4s but really missed the performance but the features were nice to have. Wasn't unusable but definitely noticeable. Buddy of mine has the 5c (basically same as 5 other than battery) and he has not complained but depends on what you do with it too. Maybe wait til you get your 6 and see if the features are worth it. You can always upgrade but cant downgrade. Also ask again for Air users after Monday and see how performance is on that device as that should run iOS8 just fine. ( I would suspect, dont have one)

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I'm on 7 with my pad and 8 with my phone. 8 still needs some work but 7 feels older already, I mean you can't even see each word as you dictate. Both will probably have 8.1 next week.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Depends on if you want/need the new features. The performance typically is not quite as good with newer iOS on older devices. Just nature of the beast. Showstopper? No. I had iOS 8 on a 4s but really missed the performance but the features were nice to have. Wasn't unusable but definitely noticeable. Buddy of mine has the 5c (basically same as 5 other than battery) and he has not complained but depends on what you do with it too. Maybe wait til you get your 6 and see if the features are worth it. You can always upgrade but cant downgrade. Also ask again for Air users after Monday and see how performance is on that device as that should run iOS8 just fine. ( I would suspect, dont have one)

I like the part about always being able to upgrade and not the other way around.

I'm quite pleased with 7.1.2 and will hold off until I get my iPhone 6 to decide whether my air should update or not.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
I like the part about always being able to upgrade and not the other way around.

I'm quite pleased with 7.1.2 and will hold off until I get my iPhone 6 to decide whether my air should update or not.

the Air is better with iOS 8

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA

This. ^ I'm running iOS 7.1.2 on iPad 4 and Mini-R and iOS 8.0.2 on new iPhone 6. I'm planning on waiting a couple of days to upgrade the iPhone 6, when the crowd has died down a bit and then I'll decide what to do about the two iPads. Both are perfectly happy as they are and there's no hurry.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
8.02 on Ipad 3 runs really well. However, i upgraded an ipad mini first release and it is a pig. My iphone six is also on 8.02 but keeping an old 4S on 7.12.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
This. ^ I'm running iOS 7.1.2 on iPad 4 and Mini-R and iOS 8.0.2 on new iPhone 6. I'm planning on waiting a couple of days to upgrade the iPhone 6, when the crowd has died down a bit and then I'll decide what to do about the two iPads. Both are perfectly happy as they are and there's no hurry.

Exactly. I think iOS 8 has some awesome new features, however, I prefer a phone that runs more efficient.

I may even hold out till 8.2 depending on the community's reaction to 8.1 release.

I'm just glad I didn't jump on the update like I did from iOS 6 to 7. I'm holding off on Yosemite too. Mavericks 10.9.5 is excellent.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
I wish I could go back to iOS 7.x on my iPad 2: iOS 8.02 has made the device slow, jerky in its response and crashes apps all the time. And ios8 totally hosed mr iPhone 6+ and even after Apple panic upgraded ths OS to 8.01, they hosed that Os also. And now ios8.02 won't let me use my 6+ in hands free mode in my car as Bluetooth is totaled screwed up.
Ios8, 8.01 and8.02 are apple's version of VISTA. Shame on Apple for releasing this OS before it was even close to being ready.

:mad:

NeoX360

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2007
I wish I could go back to iOS 7.x on my iPad 2: iOS 8.02 has made the device slow, jerky in its response and crashes apps all the time. And ios8 totally hosed mr iPhone 6+ and even after Apple panic upgraded ths OS to 8.01, they hosed that Os also. And now ios8.02 won't let me use my 6+ in hands free mode in my car as Bluetooth is totaled screwed up.
Ios8, 8.01 and8.02 are apple's version of VISTA. Shame on Apple for releasing this OS before it was even close to being ready.

8.1 fixes the Bluetooth problems. However don't expect performance improvements until at least 8.2, my guess.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

Still have 7.1.2 for my 5. I will upgrade if 8.1 will bring some performance increases and bug fixes. The weather for instance will lag on any device (including iPhone 6, 6+) when you zoom out for the list view, back to the detailed view.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
i wish i didnt update my iphones from 7.1.2

8.1 fixes the Bluetooth problems. However don't expect performance improvements until at least 8.2, my guess.

Not to be rude, but hearing these things confirms that I made a good decision in not updating.

My iPhone ships out on November 14th. Things got tied up with the new business plan, but it should be here by the end of November. Hopefully we shall see 8.2 by the end of the year.

I will be setting up my iPhone 6 as new instead of restoring from my iPhone 5. Hopefully that'll help.

Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Not to be rude, but hearing these thing confirms that I made a good decision in not updating.

My iPhone ships out on November 14th. Things got tied up with the new business plan, but it should be here by the end of November. Hopefully we shall see 8.2 by the end of the year.

I will be setting up my iPhone 6 as new instead of restoring from my iPhone 5. Hopefully that'll help.

iPhone 6 (not Plus) should be fine either way, it's mostly other devices with issues.

Performance varies too so just because someone else is having issues doesn't mean you would as well.

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
Here what I have running in my family's iOS devices:
iPhone 4s - 7.1.2
iPad 2 - 7.1.2
iPhone 5S - 7.1.2
iPad Air - 7.1.2
iPhone 6 - 8.0

What I have learned being an I.T. Guy is that there is no harm in waiting a little while after a OS update. From Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, OSX, etc, you test out your devices.

The unfortunate thing about iOS is that you can't downgrade, and with that face alone, you have to really consider the main points of owning a iDevice...

Your Apps!!!!!!
It is vital to understand that the moment you commit yourself to the new iOS, you put your apps at risk. All the apps you paid for or installed for free have different support from Devs. Some are more available to updates than others.

What I do from time to time is turn on my Windows PC and download any apps so I have a copy on my hard drive. Android has the upper hand when it comes to version control, and I must admit here, more piece of mind because you can downgrade a android device.

So how long do you wait for? I suggest giving it 3 months from the release of the update. It's no big deal to wait.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Here what I have running in my family's iOS devices:
iPhone 4s - 7.1.2
iPad 2 - 7.1.2
iPhone 5S - 7.1.2
iPad Air - 7.1.2
iPhone 6 - 8.0

What I have learned being an I.T. Guy is that there is no harm in waiting a little while after a OS update. From Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, OSX, etc, you test out your devices.

The unfortunate thing about iOS is that you can't downgrade, and with that face alone, you have to really consider the main points of owning a iDevice...

Your Apps!!!!!!
It is vital to understand that the moment you commit yourself to the new iOS, you put your apps at risk. All the apps you paid for or installed for free have different support from Devs. Some are more available to updates than others.

What I do from time to time is turn on my Windows PC and download any apps so I have a copy on my hard drive. Android has the upper hand when it comes to version control, and I must admit here, more piece of mind because you can downgrade a android device.

So how long do you wait for? I suggest giving it 3 months from the release of the update. It's no big deal to wait.

Some apps require the latest version, so it can go either way.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA

Some apps require the latest version, so it can go either way.

You both make compelling points. I use to jump on updates right away. However, over the years, I've learned it is normally better to wait unless there is some apparent reason that I must update immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.