Still running any 32-bit processes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jent, Sep 21, 2010.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I'm on an Intel Mac running Snow Leopard as I assume the majority of this forum is. I thought it'd be interesting to learn about what applications and background processes everyone's running that are not yet 64-bit.

So let's do this: fire up Activity Monitor and say whether you're running a PowerPC or Intel Mac, which version of Mac OS X you're running, and what applications and processes you currently have running that are 32-bit (and gasp—Rosetta if it's not yet a universal binary).

I'm running an Intel processor on Mac OS X 10.6.4, and my 32-bit processes are:

Code:
    AppleMobileDeviceHelper
    Butler
    Cinch
    DashboardClient (three of my five Dashboard widgets are 32-bit)
    FlashPlayer (Safari Internet plug-in)
    HoudahSpotHelper
    iStat menus Helper
    iStatLocalDaemon
    iTunes
    kernel_task
    Pages
    Popup
    Quicksilver
    usbmuxd

What about you?

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

3. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

kernel_task, Clyppan, smcFanControl, DashboardClient (x2), Adium, iTunes, iStatLocalDaemon, QCCServer, IMKQIMCandiShow, IMK QIM.

The last three are related processes, and "CandiShow" isn't what it looks like. :p

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't really care is it 64-bit or 32-bit as it makes no difference for me

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I'm not bothered by the 32bit vs. 64bit brouhaha. The apps I use, work on my machine and I'm content with that. For instance, what does it matter the itunes is 32bit or 64bit, will it enhance any of the existing features, no.

[​IMG]

6. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

Why iTunes or iLife suite aren't 64 bit is beyond me.

7. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

Or iWork.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Let me ask this again.

What does x64 iTunes do that the 32bit version of iTunes does not.

As for iLife, once apple gets around to updating it, we may see it 64bit. Then again we may not.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The only thing I see Apple changing to 64-bit sooner rather than later would be iWork and only because of Numbers. If you compare to Microsoft Office 2010, Microsoft states that the 64-bit version of Office would only provide a benefit to those working with large Excel worksheets (2GB+) and consider those users "experts" at Excel. I would think the same logic would apply to Numbers. Everything else like iTunes, iLife, I don't see a rush to make 64-bit versions because there would really be no benefit really or any that I could see (especially with iTunes).