iPhone Still stuck on iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by aes78, Mar 4, 2014.

1. aes78 macrumors newbie

I purchased my phone (Iphone 5) through Sprint in the U.S. almost two years ago. Late last year I moved overseas and it was a nightmare to unlock it here in panama where i am living now. With the help of an Neter Nano Sim and an Asian guy in a local store we were able to unlock my phone however he said I would not be able to ever update to a new iOS in this condition. That was fine but I am now having a few difficulties running a couple of apps I use and according to the message I am receiving, the issue its related to the fact that i am still running the old iOS 6.1.4. I need to figure out a way to update to the latest iOS 7. I am a bit hesitant to jailbreak my phone, but if that is absolutely the only way then I would like to be able to know the pros and cons of jailbreaking my phone. Please help.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Have you tried simply plugging it into iTunes to see if it prompts you to update?

3. aes78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it does prompt to update, the problem is that as soon as I update the phone as it is right now (with Nano Sim) the phone will lock because I purchased it through Sprint and they don't fully unlock their phones so that it can be used with another carrier, so then I will be left with a locked phone. My main interest at that point would be to know what to do next in order to have service back.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I thought Sprint iPhone's could only be unlocked for international use (which is the case in this situation).

Were you ever a customer of Sprint or did you just buy the phone out right?

5. aes78 thread starter macrumors newbie

I purchased the phone in one of their store and was a customer with them for over a year under contract.

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'd try calling them if you can and just tell them you've moved out of the country, you were a good customer (if you were) for a year, and you would appreciate if they would unlock it. They probably won't have a problem since it will still be locked in the US to Sprint, but internationally unlocked. Of course, YMMV but its worth a try.

7. aes78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I did that, I called them as soon as I moved here and they supposedly unlocked it, but in reality they didn't. Everyone I know here told me that Sprint is the worst when it comes to letting their customer go free, and that is even after the customer pays their outrageous termination fee, which I did as well.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

After rereading your post I now realize you are looking for jailbreak information. If you don't get a good response here I have two suggestions: 1. Post again in the Jailbreaks forum (if this thread isn't moved there by the mods). 2. Use a slightly more descriptive title, e.g., "Can't upgrade and keep my unlock" or something. I don't think what you have will hook in the experts. :)

There are a lot of experts here. Good luck finding a solution.

9. aes78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jailbreaking is an option i would consider if its the only option. My phone is not jailbroken right now. I am using a 'nano' sim card in order to have service here, the caveat with this is that i can't update my phone to the latest iOS. However I'll follow your suggestion about reposting with a different title tho. thanks.

10. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Call them again. If they did it once and it didn't go through, they may need to try it again to have it go through.

Worth noting that sometimes for the unlock to go through the iPhone does need to be restored back to factory settings then have it restored from a backup. When they first did it, did they tell you to do that?

11. aes78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did that several times and also called them several times. They kept saying that they did "their part" but i'll try calling once again.