Still unclear about Windows OS on a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by juantoothree4, Mar 29, 2014.

1. juantoothree4 macrumors member

Hi.

I have recently purchased a rMBP 15' GT650m, 255 SSD, 8GB memory, 2.4GHz Intel Core i7 and received 3-4 days ago. I have been an excellent Windows user and of course I am planning on install Windows 8.1 on my new MBP. Now I have a week left on my free return, and I would like to be well-informed about running Win8.1 OS on my MBP before passing the free-return date.

I might be using Windows primarily on my MBP, if not at least only when slight times of gaming. I don't game as much anymore, but since I have a newer and more high-end computer, I probably will try some graphics intensive game in the future. I am still adjusting on using OSX. There are times that while I use OSX, I get frustrated because of it not having the easier task on Win. But that's maybe because I am very used to Win and still adjusting to OSX. Example: keyboard shortcuts and commands.

One point that came up to me, since I have a dedicatedGPU, I read that running a MBP like mine on Windows is not so good. I am concerned because apparently the Win will force to use the dGPU and not switch to the integrated one casually. Will this be a problem long-term for my rMBP? Are there any workarounds?

I guess I just want to confirm if it is inadvisable to run Windows on a MBP. Will it cause harm to my rMBP whenever I switch to Windows using bootcamp?

Anything else, can you guys please tell me what are the disadvantages of running Windows on a MBP of mine? I'd like to know about major disadvantages that I am not aware of, and will completely change my Windows experience? Are there any workarounds?

Thank you!

2. Dovahkiing, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

Dovahkiing macrumors regular

Yes, since windows cannot switch dynamically between the integrated and discreet graphics chips it will only use the 650M in your case, however the only negative impact of this is battery life. There are no work arounds that I know of.

You could install a virtualization program that would let you run windows inside OSX, but you wouldn't be able to do any real gaming like this. Additionally, unless you force OSX to only use the integrated chip with a program like gfxcardstatus, launching any virtualization app would cause the computer to switch to the dedicated chip anyway. Plus, I'm not sure how well the computer would handle the retina display AND giving video memory to windows on the integrated Intel HD4000 chip if you were to actually force it to not switch.

My point being; I suspect virtualization is probably a moot point with regard to your concerns. I bring it up because someone is bound to mention it later.

If you have a need for Windows, just install it and enjoy. Switching between the OS's in no way causes any harm to the computer. Like I said, the only real difference would be battery life when you're not plugged in.

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Just as a note of encouragement Mac OSX has keyboard shortcuts for just about everything under the sun and if it doesn't have one you want you can make your own very easily.

4. juantoothree4 thread starter macrumors member

Haha okay sounds good. Thank you all.

It is a slight hassle with the keyboard differences. But I've searched and have found a couple of tweaks for this like you are saying. I think I will switch my Fn and Control key on my MBP permanently in the future. Otherwise, a simple usb keyboard will suffice. Plus, if I plan on gaming, I want to avoid my demolishing my WSAD keys, or the left part of the keyboard.

---

I figure I'd post here if I have more inquiries about Windows on Mac since I created this thread for that. Or should I create separate threads?

Anyway, I'm looking to test my rMBP ASAP and so I'm wanting to install a new Win8.1. I'll be able to buy it with student discount from Microsoft. I've also had a chat online with one of their representatives and she said that if I wanted a 64-bit OS, I must download the installer with a 64-bit OS. After downloading, I will transfer it to an external and install it on my MBP. I hope I'm clear with that aspect.

I'm just wondering, if I do install new OS now on my MBP, with Bootcamp, will the OS be permanently tied to this Mac computer? Can I still use the newly purchased Windows OS on a different computer after installing it on this MBP? I am concerned about deciding to return it thus nullifying the brand new OS. If I am correct, can anyone please tell me alternatives?

Thank you!

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Not at all. Plenty of people--including me--do so daily.

In my case, I run various versions of Windows in VMWare Fusion virtual machines. Works wonderfully-- the rMBP is so hairy-chested I can run several instances of Windows simultaneously.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

If you want to run Windows all the time why not just get a Windows laptop. You're missing the best thing about the MBP - OS X. Yes, it's a different OS but it doesn't take that much to learn how to use it. I highly recommend David Pogue's book "Switching to the Mac". When I switched to the Mac, it was no problem to find native programs that would do almost everything I needed to do. The only time I use Parallels with Windows is for Visual Studio since I maintain an old program for others.

7. juantoothree4 thread starter macrumors member

I don't want a Windows laptop. Plus I think I'm only gonna be using Windows for gaming, and my gaming has been toning down a lot. I want to use the OSX like you said, get used to it. I just want to test my MBP on gaming.

Maybe I will use the MBP with two OS side-by-side, but not now.

8. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You don't need to explain yourself again. :p I know a few people that do this. Most Windows laptops feel like cheap, plastic garbage compared to Mac laptops and it's nice to have one, even if it's just being used for Windows. I have a buddy that uses his with just Linux.

9. juantoothree4 thread starter macrumors member

That's funny lol. I wanna use the OSX because I paid big amount for it. But I'm really good with Windows. I wish I knew more about Linux. How much space does Linux take?

Out of curiosity, is it possible to bootcamp two OS?

10. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Still unclear about Windows OS on a MBP

The learning curve for OS X is quite simple... and after you learn a lot of the shortcuts you'll realize it's a lot like Windows... just more fun to use (for me anyway).

There are many flavors of Linux available, but most of them don't take up much space or use many resources. I personally hate Linux with a passion, so I'm not the best person to ask about it. I've tried to like it, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Yes, it is. Well... it's possible to triple boot a Mac, but I don't remember the method.

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

By modding the EFI with rEFIt.

12. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Personally I'd stick with Parallels/VM Fusion, for Windows only applications yet some games via Parallels are ~5-10 less FPS so it varies on what degree of performance you expect or if you're RAM constrained. I game via Parallels but my MBP has 16GB of RAM so I don't worry much.

If you own games on Steam which are Steam-Play with Linux support, the WINE layer is faster than OS X and it makes a Windows license less necessary.

Edition of the Windows license matters, student via Dreamspark/University bookstore will tie itself to the motherboard like an OEM edition however you're able to also use it via Parallels/VMWare Fusion legally(its the same "PC").
    Retail editions allow transferring to another system, heck the Win8(full/upgrade) $50 promo for launch allowed moving the license.

Considering most computer/electronics/office stores are having a hard time selling Windows licenses, some stores went as far to remove "Microsoft" from coupon exclusions so buying a retail edition(includes 32/64 bit DVDs) avoids the download factor and less restricting if you do build a PC later on.

13. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Yes! That's the one... lol. :p

14. juantoothree4 thread starter macrumors member

Hey. I don't mind using bootcamp for now to play on Windows. And of course I would like the extra FPS, I was a pretty big gamer. I'd probably use Parallels in the future, but I'll pass for now. Basically I want to save money.

I don't plan to use Linux. I've been curious about it so if I get it, I'll use it for learning purposes only. But is WINE layer another name for Linux OS?

I don't follow. So the student versions tie to the computer but not the retail ones? Do you mean, if I install the student version with Parallels/VMWare, it will not stick? If retail versions allow moving of the license, I would probably buy the retail instead.

I think my old desktop used a retail version of Windows 7 (Win7 is awesome). I straight up assumed that it's tied to my PC. I would greatly love it if I am able to use that for my MBP. Is it possible? How would I know if I can move my Windows 7 OS from my old PC to MBP? I'm pretty sure I have the box of the OS downstairs too.

And if I am able to move my old Win7 to my MBP, what will happen to its past owner, my old PC? How would it work?

Yes, I'm pretty comfortable using the OSX now. I think it's just the interface that I am not familiar with. I guess I know not much of the OSX yet.

For the triple booting, I was hoping for a easy simple bootcamp method :D. But I will have to look more into that if I need to. Although, I haven't tried bootcamp yet, it seems pretty easy, hopefully.

Thank you all.

15. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

BootCamp is pretty simple. It'll walk you through the steps.

16. yjchua95 macrumors 604

To the OP:

If you want to use Linux, why not just run it through VMware?

17. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You shouldn't need to do that. Just create a new FAT partition with disk utility and install windows on it, boot camp assistant is just a pretty interface for doing the same thing.

18. juantoothree4 thread starter macrumors member

Parallels/VMWare or Linux is not gonna happen for me right now. Maybe in the future. For Linux I am just curious about the OS, definitely not gonna try it right now.

For now I just want to use Windows on my MBP. I also want to spend no more, I was originally looking to spend only for this new rMBP and a new external to acquire all my beloved files from my old PC, and get rid of that desktop.

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

How about VirtualBox? It's free and does a good job of virtualising OSes too.

----------

I was referring to triple booting OS X, Windows and a Linux build.

Having more than two partitions will ruin the Boot Camp partition if the EFI is not modded.

20. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

VirtualBox is actually pretty good for lightweight stuff. As long as the OP isn't doing GPU intensive stuff it would be a really good option.

Since when? I've triple (and quad) booted my computer without messing with EFI. Does Linux not like EFI by default?

21. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you have a boot camp partition, creating a third one will destroy the boot camp partition. It happened to me.

If you don't have a boot camp partition, you can even octa-boot without modding the EFI.

22. slo-climber macrumors member

I'd like to ask how much additional space on hard drive do I need, if I want to run Windows with Parallels? I don't have a Mac yet, but I will buy one very soon.

23. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Depends. You can assign as little or as much drive space as you want if you use VMware or Parallels. You can also shrink or expand it without affecting data in it.

24. Gjwilly, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

AFAIK, all version of Windows link themselves to their particlar hardware configuration at the time they're activated.
    Putting your old Win7 on your new MBP would require entering your old Product Key into the MBP and activating it all over again which would likely result in an error and the need to actually pick up the phone and call Microsoft and explain the hardware change.
    If you plan to stop using your old PC then Microsoft should accept the change.
    If you're going to continue using the old PC then you're violating the license by using Win7 on two computers simultaneously but the old PC will continue to work -- it's not going to shut down or anything.
    Or the new Win7 might activate on the MBP without problem because many computers come pre-activated with an OEM Product Key without the Key on the outside of the old PC ever being used or activated.
    In this case you're saved the phone call but you are still violating the license.

25. slo-climber macrumors member

So, if I have 500 GB of space, I assign for Windows let say 100 GB. Thus, for OS X remains 400 GB. Am I right?

But, is Windows running all the time when computer is powered on or only when I decide to use it?