Still Undecided (iPhone X vs 7 Plus)

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Since the iPhone 4, I've always purchased the latest iPhone flagship release. Like many, I am very hesitant of the iPhone X. I do not think the notch will bother me, nor will the facial recognition, lack of home button, or price (if I really like the phone). I am mostly concerned with the lose of screen real estate and usability.

I absolutely love the 7 Plus' screen size and aspect ratio. And the overall dimensions of the Plus is fine with me while using it, considering I'm 6'8" and 300 lbs. It looks like a regular phone in my large hands. I wouldn't mind a smaller phone when not in use though (in my pocket).

Fortunately, I was able to get a November 3rd pre order but I'm not sure that I'm going to keep it. I'm not sure if the iPhone X is really an upgrade at all. Not to mention that I'm going to lose another $220 in reoccurring credits on top of the cost of the phone.

I have a gut feeling that I should wait another year in hopes for an iPhone Xs Plus. Something that has been discussed but with no real leaks pointing to a release.

daydayvol

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
My thing was more screen in a smaller package. I don’t have small hands but the plus is just too much of a phone b/c all of the wasted realestate. I know each person is different and glad we have choices. On that note, go with your gut. I have the reg 7 and wish it was a little bigger. I think the X will be that perfect size for me.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm not sure if the iPhone X is really an upgrade at all.
I think it depends on what the user wants out of the X. The 8+ and X are fairly similar internally. I think people happy with the plus models may see the X as a tiny downgrade because the screen is narrower. But the plus is too big for my hands and comfort, esp. once you put it in a case. As a non-plus user the X brings me a bigger screen and also optical zoom camera, so definite upgrade for me. Less of an upgrade for plus users unless they really hate the size.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I think it depends on what the user wants out of the X. The 8+ and X are fairly similar internally. I think people happy with the plus models may see the X as a tiny downgrade because the screen is narrower. But the plus is too big for my hands and comfort, esp. once you put it in a case. As a non-plus user the X brings me a bigger screen and also optical zoom camera, so definite upgrade for me. Less of an upgrade for plus users unless they really hate the size.
Also the oled display is leagues above the LCD display.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Also the oled display is leagues above the LCD display.
Yes, but that alone, to me at least, is not a reason to upgrade. If the X was just a 4.7" model with a OLED screen I'd sit it out. OTOH if the X was a 5.8" screen and footprint with LED I'd still be all-in. The OLED screen is a bonus -- it's the way to get to a mostly bezel-free phone. But I'm more interested in the mostly bezel-free part.