Still undecided: MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Baumer582, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Baumer582 macrumors member

Ok, now that the new models are out, I will be getting a shiny new Apple notebook. I'm still on the fence, and I really need some advice from you guys since you're the people who know what they're talking about...

I'm waffling between the new Blackbook or the mid-range MBP...

Now, the three biggest reasons why I want a MBP is the backlit keyboard, 15 inch screen, and the neurotic notion that I need to have the "best of the best", even if I don't need all that power...

I do some light video editing with Final Cut, but that could grow to something more. I also do light Photoshop editing, but that shouldn't change.. I don't play video games, and I don't use any crazy engineering programs. I basically search the web, listen to my iTunes, use Adium for messaging, and play around with Final Cut.. Although this is a personal computer, I still want it to be as much as I'll need. I hate to think I skimped out on features.. It's also worth noting that I work as an editor in TV and radio, and there's a slight chance I might need to edit on the road with this new job I'm interviewing for...

So, what do I do? Blackbook or MBP? I know the extra ram can be had cheaply off of Amazon or other sites, and I know that a jump from 2.4 to 2.5 isn't the craziest difference (It might not be much of a difference at all).

Is the MBP too much of a powerful machine for me? Although money, thankfully, isn't an issue at this point, I'd hate to spend an extra $1000 or whatever and not need such a big-time notebook..

Thanks everyone!

2. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Based on the above statement, I say get the MacBook Pro. The MBP graphics card will really get the job done when you work with FCP. The integrated graphics on the MacBook doesn't even compare to the ones found on the MBP.

3. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, amac...

I'm leaning towards the MBP, but we'll see..

I priced them both online with all the features I'd want and the MB is around $1900 while the MBP is $3000. This'll be a tough decision...

4. methodmano macrumors member

For me, the 15" screen size did it. The 13.3" is too small for my liking.

5. billmister macrumors 6502

it's funny you mention this. I also had similar question. I get out of work in about 1 hour and 30 minutes and are on my way to see if i should purchase a macbook pro or blackbook. Just like you the blackbook has what i want but i'm also a person that must have the best of bests. lol

You know, the BEST dissision for me would be to get a macbook (white standard). I only use computer for internet, music, video (iMovie), iDVD, chatting on iChat, and maybe a game (doom). Rarely but sometimes iworks.

Of course the white macbook will do this for me and i'll save about 1,500.. BUT.... just the pleasure of opening up my laptop holder and popping out a macbook PRO, with it's silver color and large 15inch screen.... PRICELESS! lol

I have a iMac at home that i personalized with 500gig internal and 500gig external to back it up... I don't plan on replacing it, that's why i have to tell myself, relax it's just something i will use when i go out or on vacation (last week).

Best advise for me to you... MBP. If you plan on making this your ONLY computer, DEF macbook Pro. But if you really use your home desktop all the time and will only use then on those rare time when you travel, or just bored to be sitting @ your desk and you want to pop something out while laying in bed, then the blackbook would do that with great power.

Good luck with your decision. I have 1 hour to deside... LOL I'm leaning towards MBP.

At the airport when i flew last week i remember seeing a couple of whitbooks, very few blackbooks (my fiance and maybe 2 others) and only ONE MACBOOK PRO.... I just couldn't stop thinking, MAN that is HOT. I need to get my hands on one.

OK talking to much. Good luck and keep us posted

6. Tapdawg macrumors regular

same question for me

I'm a college student that will probably use the laptop I choose for taking notes in class and also playing some games (like WoW). My concern is that the MB won't be able to handle playing games. Would it be smarter for me to get a MBP or would I be able to have smooth handling in games with the MB?

7. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

I know exactly what you mean. And yes, it will be my only computer, so I think I might take the plunge. You only live once, right? Plus, the extra $1100 that it would cost is basically a part of paycheck anyway, so that's just money not saved.. I'll let you all know when I get it!!

And to the last poster, yes, a MBP is MUCH better for gaming, especially a game like WoW...

8. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

You can play wow with integrated graphics. I've got an ancient inspiron 1300 and i can play it!

If its the only game you play then it seems a waste to fork out all that money for just one game.

9. Tapdawg macrumors regular

Oh that is great to know, well then MBP is what I shall get. Thanks for the heads up!

10. username7410 macrumors member

Lot of money to pay for an additional 1.7" of screen!

11. gomvi17 macrumors newbie

help making choise

I am new to mac i am about to purchase my computer but i wanted to ask you guys what should i do, i can get a baseline MBP or a black MB with 4 gigs of ram i am an engineering major but i don't know what to get.

12. mets1125 macrumors regular

Why dont you consider the base MBP? The difference will only be $500 between the blackbook and the base MBP.

13. username7410 macrumors member

Yeah $500 is nothing. :rolleyes:

Don't forget Apple care is more expensive for MBPs as well.

14. mets1125 macrumors regular

No one was saying $500 is nothing :rolleyes: The OP was asking about the mid-level MBP so I suggested the low end one and the diff would be $500 not $1000. So before you catch an attitude read.:rolleyes:

15. gomvi17 macrumors newbie

yeah, the problem i have is that i am paying for my computer and i have 2K if i get the MBP with the student discount the final price is 1918$ and if i get the Black MB with the 4 gigs of ram the final price is 1690$ so i could get parallels and some other accessories but still i don't know if the resolution and size of the screen will be an inconvenient when using autocad and all those engineering programs also i am afraid that 2 gigs of ram won;t be enough for those programs

16. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You do not need 4GB RAM. I don't think there are many people around who do but the notion that anyone can actually use it all is nonsense. The 2GB you get standard with the MacBook is sufficient in my opinion.

I also think that the design of the MacBook is far, far superior to the MacBook Pro. The keyboard alone is a great selling point, I simply love it. Don't worry about the graphics in the MacBook either - the chips were upgraded recently and are now much faster than they were before. I ran FCP on my MacBook with no problems at all. Hell, it ran on my OLD first generation MacBook fine too.

I say go with the black MacBook and keep it with 2GB RAM. Buying the pro would be excessive and you'd be missing out on a computer which I think is a better size and which has a far superior keyboard.