Still undecided on 2011 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Adidas Addict, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I am currently without a laptop, here's how my story goes. Had 2010 MBP 13, loved it, sold in anticipation of the 2010 MBA release and went with the 13" 2010 MBA. After the initial honeymoon period my annoyance grew at the missing backlit keyboard, that I never realised I relied on so much. The viewing angles and lack of colour (even with many attempts at calibration, and I had the favoured screen model) began to make me yearn for the brilliant MBP 13 screen again. So when the 2011 MBP's came out I promptly sold my MBA and went back to the 13" MBP.

So last week I got a really good offer for my 2011 13 MBP and went ahead and sold it, thinking, cool I can bag one of the new MBA's. So I have the money sat in my account, but something is stopping me. Yes I would have the backlit keyboard back, but as far as I am aware those screens are the same parts from the 2010 MBA range, and I grew to hate the awful vertical viewing angle and lack of pop to the colours.

So now I am stuck with what to buy, I'd feel stupid buying another 2011 MBP the same as I sold, and part of me feels I would hate the display on 2011 MBA.

I'm stuck :(

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

personally, i think the air display looks kind of washed out compared to the mbp 13, BUT it is still good looking, and it is still pretty nice. you have to use it, though, and since you already know you don't like it, i don't see why you have any dilemmas. clearly, you need the pro 15 :)

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Have an Apple Store nearby? If so, go look at them there and decide. You'll even be able to compare in person between the MBA and the MBP. Personally, I think my 13 inch MBA has a great screen, and I used a MBP previously.

4. Adidas Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

You're right you know, I have a want for a 15 or even 17 MBP, but I am not splashing that kinda cash until there is a re-design. At which point I will replace my laptop and iMac with one beastie laptop. But for now, I need something portable for browsing and light use. If the new 2011 MBA had been given new displays, I wouldn't have been having this dilemma.

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Just get the 11" MBA and an external display.

Or go to the apple store and compare both - but its true the MBP screen is much more vibrant.

6. Adidas Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

It's really just my couch machine, so won't be plugging into a display, other than my TV for the odd movie. I think the issue is I have spent so much time with MBP's that the lower quality MBA display stands out a mile to me.