Still using ATV gen 3. Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by B.A.T, Dec 29, 2018.

1. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I'm still using my gen 3 ATV which I have had for the past 6 years. My tv is about to turn 10 years old and also still works great and I won't upgrade it until it dies. I don't play games. My question is what would I gain if I upgraded to the new ATV 4K? Is there any feature that makes it worth the upgrade in your opinion or am I better off using the gen 3 until it dies or I upgrade my tv?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68040

AppStore
    Generally faster and more responsive
    Future proof (until arrival of 8K, obviously ;) )
    Better audio (DD+7.1 and Atmos)

Depending on the rest of your setup (besides TV), these may all be totally irrelevant, though,

3. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I think the main feature for you could be a wider choice of streaming networks/channels. I don't play games on mine, either (rarely, at least. i like having Hitman Go and Lara Croft Go, and maybe you'll discover some minor exceptions), but the ability to add apps from different cable channels like FXNow, AMC, Bravo, etc, is really nice. Some are already on ATV3 and some aren't. And there are streaming services like Shudder, VUDU, Mubi, Fandor.

So it's not really much about playing games or other apps like that. But more just expanding what video content you're able to get access to, and you might not know what you're missing until you discover them. So I do recommend an upgrade if you want a wider access to video apps.
    Also, I like the interface quite a bit more, and talking at the Siri remote instead of typing things in is so much preferable.

4. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

The instantaneous video scrubbing alone would make the upgrade worth it to me.

Adn the Siri voice commands are a close second. Being able to have Siri find anything you want and bypassing all the menus is something you can’t do without once you experience it.

5. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

The "What did he/she say" Siri command has been a life-saver! :)

6. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

One feature I love and doesn’t get talked about a lot is being able to view your photos.
    I have over 8000 in my iCloud account and love being able to view them on the tv with ease.

7. B.A.T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems like an upgrade is in order. How well does the Apple TV app work? I like the idea of everything I want to watch in one location.

8. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

I'm also thinking security! The latest Apple TV runs the very latest tvOS which seems to get regular monthly updates. You'll absolutely love it and i'm with you on the one location thing! We've had Apple TV for 8 years now and for over one year, it is the only box connected to the OLED. No disc player anymore or satellite box. Being a MacBook and iPhone house, it truly works beautifully for all of us.

9. Tech198 macrumors G5

My parents prefer an AppleTV 3 , mainly she doesn't want what she doesn't use, like the App store.. Also keep recent Youtube searches now you have to sign in... (I have an issue with that alone for privacy), so she has the Appple TV 3, while i have an Apple TV4, (Doesn't affect me, since i don't watch Recent Youtube videos that much anyway)

She did try one, but she wanted to go back. We get so hooked on the latest and greatest, it oversees how much of it we use, while we always think "If we have we chances we we'll use it"

That's a wrong method. Just because you have something doesn't mean you will always use it. Go into it with the know-how "I want to use the App Store , or x feature, so i'll get Apple TV 4"

Otherwise, if it works, why upgrade for the sake of it being new?

10. LCC0256 macrumors member

Please explain to me what video scrubbing feature of the Apple TV 4K is. I own the ATV 3 ATV 4 and ATV 4K. I like the 4K best because among other things it allows me to access Hulu Live TV package - the ATV 3 does not. Thanks to this discussion I have learned other features of 4K vs 3. I do not understand the scrubbing feature however. Thank you Larry

11. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

I don't know about the ATV 3, but I do know i couldn't live without my ATV 4K anymore. At most anything I need is there (because in Italy there is a limited number of apps/services and even Siri/TV app is missing), but all functionalities (and performances!!) are much superior to any other TV box I have (Amazon/Android TV/Chromecast).

The touch pad is a bit clunky, but I miss it soooo much when I use the Amazon Fire Stick TV or my Android TV. With a couple of (fast) swipes I start whatever I need. I access the video menu easily (when the touchpad doesn't get stuck..) to change language and subtitles (I usually switch the video language between Italian and English). I enjoy the HiRes audio (Dolby True HD/DTS-HD MA) on movies and TV Shows with Infuse Pro and the ATV 4K connected to my Yamaha AVR.

Infuse since recently also supports the preview on video scrubbing, which means when we move backward/forward (swiping the touchpad) in a video we see in a small window how the video looks like in that position.

So yeah, I think you wouldn't regret the upgrade. Also considering that personally I won't ever switch to 8K on purpose (I barely see any difference between 1080p and 4K. But that's due to the upscalers I suppose), I may upgrade to 8K only when my TV will die, so I'd say I should be all setup for at least 5 more years. Maybe 10.

12. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

Stick to Gen 3 for now. :)

ATV 4K is great but always-on Siri is a big omission and would make Siri more casual to use. I suspect it will be a hardware feature introduced next on the unit itself with no microphone on the TV.

Given that you have no plans to upgrade your TV in the near term I suggest you wait for ATV Gen 5.

13. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

As someone that went from a 3 to 4 ... yes. It’s better for me in just about every way. I have several in my house now.

14. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

It doesn’t. If you’re in the US use WatchAid instead. It’s what the TV app should’ve been. TV app is fine for movies and discovering new shows, but until it it gets all networks on board it’s not ready for prime time. It also doesn’t do a good job of remembering what you’ve watched. I can watch something, go to the TV app, and it will say it hasn’t been watched. Or things that were marked as watched will suddenly not be marked as such later. WatchAid even keeps track of networks that don’t have a tvOS app. And if you’re a Trakt.tv user it will add what you’ve watched to Trakt automatically. I use Trakt as the ultimate backup of my watch history. I highly recommend making an account if you don’t have one. WatchAid’s developer is very responsive so if you find something wrong, report it and he fixes it quickly. If you can’t tell I absolutely love this app.