Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
After using it exclusively for the Internet for a whole week, I found myself on my desktop PC this evening - installing ATI drivers, fun - and had a quick browse with a mouse. For the first few minutes my hand kept wanting to reach for the screen before realizing it was tied down with a mouse. A horrible feeling after such intuitive interaction. :eek:

Heh, I've had that experience even after using an iPod touch for a while. I also want to use CMD-Q on the bloody Windows PCs at work...

On the flip side of that though, I really want to use three-finger swipes in Safari as in OSX and find myself commonly reaching to do so on iPad.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Have had my iPad today for one week yayyyyyyyy,
It's really exceeded my expectations, I only bought it cos I have an iPhone and thought it would be cool to see what the apps would look like on a bigger screen.

Haven't turn on my pc since I bought the iPad. Mostly use iPad now for browsing. Facebook looks and feels amazing as well as macforums.
When I'm on the tube I use it as an ebook reader. My 3gs iPhone now disgusts me lol

Roll on WWDC this Monday.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
I'm out travelling with it today. Now this feels really right.

One of the reasons I bought it was for my daily commute. I always felt very self-conscious unfolding a great big laptop on the train; and the iPod touch, whilst unobtrusive, was always a bit poky. This is a perfect intermediate and feels totally natural. Love it.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I thought i'm the only one but boy am i glad to find this thread. I just can't seem to focus doing thing in iPad. I just feel amazed every time i pick my iPad. Everyday i only read about iPad news, iPad forum, and try and buy new games but not focus to play that.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
I thought i'm the only one but boy am i glad to find this thread. I just can't seem to focus doing thing in iPad. I just feel amazed every time i pick my iPad. Everyday i only read about iPad news, iPad forum, and try and buy new games but not focus to play that.

A kindred spirit. :)

I do find that most of my time 'just doing' is only the time spent on iPad forums...

Just set up my gf's iPad and she's straight into doing work emails. I guess its just distracting if you're a geek? :)

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
I am using mine more and more every day that goes by. Things I am doing now that I didn't before the iPad:

1. Read the morning paper (USA Today and Wall Street Journal)

2. Streaming movies from Netflix. (I have the application on my macbook pro, but have only fired it up once)

3. Reading books / novels - I have now read 7 books since getting the iPad 3G on May 15. I haven't read 2 books in the last 3 years before the iPad :eek:

4. listening to talk radio on Radio.com during the workday

I have to say that I am loving this iPad, and as applications become more and more available, I see it's usage only increasing...

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
A kindred spirit. :)

I do find that most of my time 'just doing' is only the time spent on iPad forums...

Just set up my gf's iPad and she's straight into doing work emails. I guess its just distracting if you're a geek? :)

very true! as soon as my wife got her iPad. she's busy with finding recipes on the web with safari, playing hotel mogul, plant vs zombies while i keep reading news and stuff about iPad an apple rumors like the next iPhone. apple is distracting me, everything i did when
i got a new gadget is to read about apple rumors.

when
i got the iphone 3g, i read about the macbook air, when i got the air, i always read about the next iphone rumors, after i got the 3gs i read on apple rumor again and here i am with the ipad, got the ipad and now im reading about iphone 4th gen
and
got excited about this! damn u apple!!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
My current usuage for content is
ipad=70%
iPhone=15%
MacBook pro=15%

I feel quilty for buying a hi-res anti glare mbp for $2000 and I use the ipad most of the time, usually on the couch or on the bed.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
The iPad has made me more obsessed with MacRumors :/ I'm hoping to see more apple news each time I visit. I stay up all night on the net because of my iPad. I'm late for work because I'm too tired. My assignments are late because I'd rather play games like hotel mogul. My poor (brand new) mbp is just sitting there (with the USB cable ready to charge my iPad). My iPhone is barely being used, yet I still want the new one. iPad is ruining my life!! But I still love it *hugs iPad*
on another note I managed to get some of my textbooks on here. Whoop.

Streethawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2010
Manchester, UK
Have had my iPad today for one week yayyyyyyyy,
It's really exceeded my expectations, I only bought it cos I have an iPhone and thought it would be cool to see what the apps would look like on a bigger screen.

Haven't turn on my pc since I bought the iPad. Mostly use iPad now for browsing. Facebook looks and feels amazing as well as macforums.
When I'm on the tube I use it as an ebook reader. My 3gs iPhone now disgusts me lol

Roll on WWDC this Monday.

Yep, a week in and i cant put the thing down. It comes to work with me everyday, for browsing those banned websites over 3G, and note taking in meetings, and transporting technical PDFs between sites.

Then when i get home i do some browsing/gaming/streaming TV, brief break to eat, then usually read on iBooks until bedtime... then a bit more iBooking in bed (usually at this point i'm at 10% or less battery. I've found i run it until dead as often as not.

Sure if i turned the brightness down a bit, WiFi off in work, 3G off at home i'd probably gain an hour or so... but i dont care, it *just* lasts through my day of heavy usage.

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
UK
Honestly, my quality of sleep has taken a hit after I've bought this thing :D
It's way easier than using a laptop just lying in bed surfing etc... And before I know it, it's turned 5am.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I use mine daily since I had it shipped to me on day one. Mine is the WiFi 64GB flavor 90% of my use is on my iPad, due to Log Me in Ignition, and Dropbox.
I think we will see the printer Icon in the next OS update:eek: then my BMB will be used just for Aperture for editing video and pictures from my Canon 7D:)
After years of slinging my BMB around, my Arithritis loves the iPad.
Tethering,at what ever price,from AT&T will complete my love affair and make her my constant companion. I just adore this device!:cool:VERY:cool::apple:

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2010
Kind of off topic, but,

I am going to buy my first MacBook Pro soon, and I will have some extra money left over. I am looking to buy the iPad along with my MBP, but now I worry that I will use the iPad to much and result in my MBP to be lonely. That makes me sad:(

But I REALLY want an iPad, based on alot of reviews, the thing is amazing.:)

So would it be ok to buy both at the same time? Also I am looking to buy the new iPhone along with it too ;)

But since that is a phone and can fit in my pocket, I shouldnt have to be worried about not using it.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I don't exactly know why someone wouldn't be using their iPad still. All of use surely surf the internet on a daily basis, so by that alone, people will continue to use their iPad daily.

An equally ridiculous statement would be "My iPhone isn't shiny anymore, so I never use it anymore"

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
The ipad has become my near-exclusive e-mail reader, unless I have to edit some file. Nothing beats it for instant gratification as far as web browsing and e-mail. I also have music playing in the background while doing so.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
I don't exactly know why someone wouldn't be using their iPad still. All of use surely surf the internet on a daily basis, so by that alone, people will continue to use their iPad daily.

An equally ridiculous statement would be "My iPhone isn't shiny anymore, so I never use it anymore"

That's not what's being suggested - it's about whether you're distracted by the interface and the shininess, as opposed to just getting on and using it - seeing through the 'objectness' of the thing.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I'm using mine increasingly as a PDF reader and PDA - my Kindle is still the go-to book for longer form reading, but the PDF capabilities on the iPad will change my work habits. For the much much better.

Touchstone64

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Manchester, UK
I've long known that I needed a portable alternative to my desktop - 90% of my regular usage doesn't need the power - and I was aiming for an MBP but couldn't justify the cost, or the (albeit minor, compared to a desktop) inconvenience of all the kit I'd have to lug around with it. Then came the iPad :) 1/3 the price of the MBP, but everything I need (and more besides). Lucky or what?

Chimera-se

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
Can we just re-name the thread "iPad Anonymous"? The first night I had the iPad I stayed up all night playing around with it. Everything being said about it like "big iPod touch" blah blah blah, well a big iPod touch is evidently EXACTLY what I needed! I can't believe how useful this thing is. I didn't realize there was part of my life that had a hole needing to be filled like this. I'm literally a more efficient person. And it's done the impossible: it's made the iphone seem stupid. I'm at the point now where if Steve Jobs says I need something, he just might know better than me what that thing is. Btw, I really like this thing! :D

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
the new iphone with 320dpi will make me droll again! sharp text that when u read a website that u don't even need to zoom in again. oh great! that's gonna be a portable iPad! lol. even the iPad is portable enough, but it's stil not portable enough to bring it into the bathroom when im i have to pup while my other hand holding a cigarrete :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.