Still using your Newton?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Hrududu, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'm just curious to see how many of you still use your Newtons. It doesn't have to be daily, but lets say on a regular basis (once a week?). I know they're a bit cumbersome, and you probably have a phone or computer that can do everything the Newton can, but its still a good tool. Being a student, I still take mine to class to take notes. Its a nice alternative to having to carry multiple 3 ring binders, and its easy enough to print pages when I want the hard copies. I also like how small it is compared to a laptop. So how about you? Do you still use it, and what for?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I have one of the older 100's or something. Haven't used it in years because the hand recognition on it was sucky, but I did use it for a while to take notes in class and to keep track of stuff.

Now, if I had an 2000, I am sure I would still be using that. I loved those babies. :eek:

3. Hrududu thread starter macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Ya, I tried taking notes on my MP 100 and it was more work than it was worth. Using the 2000 is super nice though. The recognition is superb and the ability to write on it landscape style is a really big help. I pulled it out one day and the kid next to me was like, "What in God's name is that!?" So I had to fill him in. :D

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I have an OMP and a 2100, and I honestly don't use them nearly as much as I'd like to. The 2100 is a fantastic piece of hardware.

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

With training the results from my OMP 100 weren't actually that bad.
    Problem is it would sometimes refuse to turn on, often my training being erased :(
    I really like it though, especially how you could draw street maps, diagrams etc and the software would automatically straighten the lines for you.

These days I get it out merely to have some fun, and play battleships :D

6. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

I had two Newtons. A 120, which had its screen broken later, and a 100 that had a messed up stylus response the day after I got it. The handwriting recognition was poor. I want a 2000/2100.

7. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

I use mine daily at work. MP 2000 with WiFi and Bluetooth, picked up a keyboard last week and a sweet MP/Keyboard case for it today on fleabay. It is just soooo much nicer then my HTC Artemis which is unreliable, buggy bluetooth and the mess that is Windows Mobile 6. I'll keep using it until it won't suit my needs anymore which won't be for the forseable future.
    Hard to believe that it's 11 years old.

8. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Why did apple discontinue so many good things like their newton, or their isight.

9. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

The Newton was apparently too expensive to make profits from, and when Steve Jobs returned to Apple he wanted to make cost-cutting, so the entire consumer products line went. The iMac was probably the initial result of the new image. The iSight was maybe because they wanted people to get the new Macs or because it was in most macs by the time.
    Something interesting to note; When Apple discontinued the Newton, there was a protest outside Apple's campus, and while the employees gave free cookies, the Newton didn't stay. People at Macworld sometimes waved their MP's in the air in protest unless they consider the iPhone a replacement.